Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
How thick is the Eco Cork? That should help with sound absorption/blocking.
I think so with the Noico under part. Can't be more than an 1/8" I didn't examine it closely -- OK, the website says it's 3.2 mm, so call it an eighth. I especially want the 6 mil vapor barrier in the product.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I have a VanTred liner at the moment, which is nice, but I would really like to build a floor. I wish the van was sealed up to the half walls so I could pressure wash it. My friends with trailers do that and it is a nice feature.
I hear you. I'll end up with an inch or less of bathtub with the underlayment. Not enough for a hose, but soaking wet, sandy, drippy stuff should be OK!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I have been delayed in my progress with a couple non van things. Hoping to work on the van siding later this week / next week.
I have extra rails. Also needed to order bolts online if I want to avoid paying close to $3 a piece for Metric M8 x 1.25.

RE: liners.

Wanted to chime in that there exist Metris specific plastic wall liners. It was one of the things that popped up during the various searches this summer. I would think that if one were to mate that up with some waterproof flooring and very good silicone / waterproofing at the wheel wells; one could get something that can be hosed out. I wouldn't go as far as pressure washing. Tricky bit would be the various D ring recesses, if installed. Maybe rustproof those extra. Then make sure those cups are watertight with new flooring system. Shop vac those dry with every rinse. Which may not be too bad depending how often an interior wash is needed. Once a quarter? month?

Metris Commercial Van Liner Advantage Outfitter

Alternative thought. Deep sliding tray? Removable floor system with low walls that can be extended and washed outside of the vehicle?
All depends on what needs to be transported, how it needs to be secured, how much space needs to be retained, other build desires, budget, ...

·
Registered
557 Posts
I hope I never have to carry anything that requires pressure washing to clean out! I'm just trying to prevent saltwater drips from getting under the wooden floor and starting corrosion on the bed floor. I may also do a tray at the rear as so many van lifer "garages" have.

Reactions: icerabbit

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I totally hear you, when it comes to sand, water, salt ... as I windsurf, paddle board, etc ... and have transported all my kit in regular passenger cars and minivans, finished up during rain storms, oncoming tropical events ... -- which is coincidentally why I love lift gates ( and would have custom ordered my metris with one ) everything including me soaking wet in the car or van.

In my Chrylser T&C I had a polyurethaned 4x8 plywood floor and lined trunk box. In my Dodge GC, I had a 4x8 plywood floor with some raised edges. Siliconed joints and a couple layers of re-decking paint with sand, then at the bumper area, there was a 2ft deep x 4ft wide section section of rubber roof membrane that folded out over the bumper. Worked a treat for the snowblower in winter, plants, shrubs, ... all kinds of stuff.

When I got tired of getting the floor in or out, for the occasions of needing to transport multiple people (I actually cut it in half first to make it less bulky and then just had the trunk half), but later got rid of even the rear 4x4 treated trunk plywood floor and settled on an 80mil EPDM roof membrane / heavy duty pond liner, that was oversized, but trimmed to the shape of the vehicle.

A lot of my wet kit, in the passenger vehicle days, I would throw in plastic trunks, ... then whatever would be leaking wet ( like large sails ) I'd try to always have a good floor mat with towel to absorb moisture. With some diligence that has worked fine for decades. Of course it depends on the frequency, ability to dry out, ...

I'd probably rock a few of those large commander black tubs with yellow lids that are popular these days, to throw the small wet stuff in from the beach, etc. Back in the day it was Rubbermaid Action Packers. They still exist, but are rather thin compared to how the originals used to be made.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I'd probably rock a few of those large commander black tubs with yellow lids that are popular these days, to throw the small wet stuff in from the beach, etc. Back in the day it was Rubbermaid Action Packers. They still exist, but are rather thin compared to how the originals used to be made.
I still have a couple of those Action Packers for my car camping gear. I've been using dry bags to store my waders, boots or booties and other stuff as an interim solution.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts