Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Just ran out of gas. Walked about a mile to get a gallon, could've been worse. When I started back up it ran rough but now seems okay

Seems like their should be a fuel critical warning. The 100 mile range warning seems more like a gentle nudge to get gas.
I was lucky. It claimed 50 miles remaining when I stopped to refuel, and I put in more gas than the stated fuel tank capacity. The range to empty number is way off.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Have more to add to this: Got the gas lamp, had 67 miles to empty, then 55, then consumption... coasted into a station and put in 18.111 gallons. Apparently 18.5 gallons is capacity... This is a problem.

I feel like if I had .5 gallons of diesel, i'd have that 50 miles to go. maybe that's the difference.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Mercedes, in my experience, always understated the capacity of their ranks. My ‘95 E300D is supposed to have a 23.8 gallon tank, but regularly took over 24 gallons.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Is there any tuning parameter that can be updated by the dealer? I assume the DTE is calculated using a short-range moving average of the fuel consumption rate.

My Passat TDI regularly reported ~2 MPG better than actual and I could tweak a correction factor using my VAG-COM.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm surprised that everyone relies on the DTE so much? Running out of fuel can be a nightmare, especially on a diesel. My '14 Sprinter has the simple gauge package, so only gives a low fuel warning light. I seldom wait until the light comes on to refuel and when I do.... I refuel at the first opportunity, as I live in a rural area. Sprinter has 24.5 gallon tank and light seems to come on with 5 gallons left. In average conditions about 100 miles, but I'm not going to test it out! I'll keep to the same regimen, when I get the Metris.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I'm surprised that everyone relies on the DTE so much? Running out of fuel can be a nightmare, especially on a diesel. My '14 Sprinter has the simple gauge package, so only gives a low fuel warning light. I seldom wait until the light comes on to refuel and when I do.... I refuel at the first opportunity, as I live in a rural area. Sprinter has 24.5 gallon tank and light seems to come on with 5 gallons left. In average conditions about 100 miles, but I'm not going to test it out! I'll keep to the same regimen, when I get the Metris.
It's not a matter of relying on it. The DTE is supposed to take the majority of the guess-work out of the equation when it comes to how much further you need to get before you need run out of petrol. The Metris says you have 100 miles until you are empty, but in reality you are lucky to go 50 without finding yourself on the side of the road. This also takes into account looking at the gas gauge, which absolutely plunges in the last quarter of a tank.

MB should have made the Metris like your Sprinter and just had a light to signal low fuel if it couldn't calculate it correctly. It's one thing if DTE was off by 10%. But it's off by 40% in some instances. That's too much of a variance. It's why after my no gas experience, I no longer use DTE and don't trust the fuel gauge at 1/4 of a tank. I treat it like my motorcycle, fuel light comes on and I get gas.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I always fill at the next decent gas station the moment my light turns on. The most I've ever put in is 18 gallons.. excluding a few times when I am positive the gas station in question needed a visit from the BWM.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I always fill right before orright after the light comes on. This weekend coming back from home I wastempted to let it run a bit longer since my wife and kids were asleep and didn’twant them to wake up when pulling over, I decided to trust the DTE (I've done that couple in a coupleof cars successfully) but remembered that in that part of I-65 in the middle ofAlabama there are areas where the next gas station might be pretty far and notall of them have Diesel, so I decided against it with about ~50 miles left.After reading this I’m happy I did, I could’ve been out of fuel pretty soon.Unfortunately I did not pay attention to the number of Gallons, but I’m sure itwas near empty.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Apparently, MB executives have never experienced the wrath of SWMBO in the mountains of Utah (with no cell service BTW) after trining out of gas 100 meters before the service station after DTE claime 40 miles about 20 miles from said service station!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just ran out of fuel 1 car length from the Costco Fuel pump. The tank plus empty fuel lines took 19.2 gallons, so i assume the tank is actually 19 gallons. At a range of 52 mile it shortly switched to range consumption. It ran out at less than 20 miles after it switched. The check engine light came on after it was pushed to the pump refueled and restarted.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Just ran out of fuel 1 car length from the Costco Fuel pump. The tank plus empty fuel lines took 19.2 gallons, so i assume the tank is actually 19 gallons. At a range of 52 mile it shortly switched to range consumption. It ran out at less than 20 miles after it switched. The check engine light came on after it was pushed to the pump refueled and restarted.
Did the CEL go off after fueling?

·
Registered
349 Posts
I've come close once but mine seems to be a bit more accurate....I drove about 10-15 miles after "consumption" was displayed and ended up putting in something like 18.3 gallons....I usually just fuel it within a few miles of the warning light coming on. They do need to update the software to be more accurate though. Its way more accurate on my W210 and X204......The W210 even gives you a down to the tenth of a gallon tank capacity readout....and its really close!

21 - 40 of 43 Posts