Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my road trip this weekend, I wanted to see how well the Metris did on fuel economy. 24 mpg loaded with my race bike. I was pretty happy. That happiness ended when the file light came on and the DTE was 90 miles. Figured I could go for another 50 miles until I reached civilization. The guage showed a little under a quarter tank. Well, that was a bad assumption. 40 miles in and the guage dove empty. I feathered the gas, as I had about 7 miles until a gas station. And as I'm sure you guessed, I ran out with 5 miles to go. Engine just cut off and coasted with everything else still running.

After I got gas, I noticed my CEL was on. I figured it would turn off, as the van started fine and ran great. Nope. It's still on. I'll take it in to the dealer since I owe them a visit anyway to look at the clicking in the steering wheel.

Lesson learned. Don't trust the DTE. Also, the fuel guage drops a whole lot faster after a quarter tank. I'm still laughing at myself for running out of gas.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Yup, I've done it too. Mine was loaded with people hot off the beach. They not pleased sitting in the sun. To make it worse, they called their buddy to buy a gascan and deliver us gas instead of waiting on the free road side.

But yeah, the gauge drops REALLY quick!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Just don't make it a habit as its bad for the fuel pump. Can't imagine what that would cost as I'm sure its a pump/filter combo.

·
Registered
939 Posts
The low pressure pump is bad, but the high pressure pump is the one to worry about.

Also stuck on the side of the road sucks. The most important reason to not make a habit of it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CEL light went out the following morning. And it rode fine on the rest of my 800 mile trip.

I can confirm that the DTE is not accurate. It's around 30 to 40 miles off. I'm curious how it's calculated. It doesn't look like it's speed-based since the numbers don't change when you are doing 10mph or 80. Regardless, I won't take any more chances in this vehicle. Gas goes in no later than 1/8 of a tank left.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine comes on with over 100mi range left. The remaining range number appears reasonably accurate on my vehicle.
I thought so too. :frown:

·
Registered
14 Posts
After low fuel light comes on I drove 40 miles more
and gauge was almost all the way down. Don't trust the message "90 miles more to go".

·
Registered
300 Posts
After low fuel light comes on I drove 40 miles more
and gauge was almost all the way down. Don't trust the message "90 miles more to go".
Yeah. One time when the light and the warning message came on I slowed down to 55 - 60 MPH and drove 50 miles with only me in my van to the gas station and the gauge was like no where to go down further. I won't do that again>:D

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I estimate 40 miles when the number is replaced with the "fuel now" icon. That's based on an average of two gallons (16.5 fill) when I see it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Well, my wife ran the Metris out this morning and yes the check engine light is on. I hope she didn't shorten the life of the pump. Does a battery disconnect clear the CEL? Don't really want to try it as it may clear my Bluetooth settings. Anybody know?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, my wife ran the Metris out this morning and yes the check engine light is on. I hope she didn't shorten the life of the pump. Does a battery disconnect clear the CEL? Don't really want to try it as it may clear my Bluetooth settings. Anybody know?
I'm the OP. I thought I had to pull the battery too. But it cleared overnight. No issues since.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just ran out of gas. Walked about a mile to get a gallon, could've been worse. When I started back up it ran rough but now seems okay

Seems like their should be a fuel critical warning. The 100 mile range warning seems more like a gentle nudge to get gas.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I came close to running out too. I'm heading to Nevada in sept. for some work and off-road motorcycle riding...then through Colorado for more riding. I will not be stretching fuel out west. I've done that before on my bike. East coast no problem.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts