Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts
With systems loaded with sensors there's a fine line between not sensitive enough that could cause problems, and too sensitive that causes a problems....it may be that those vibrations are just perfect to cause it to get a misreading, which may cause it to default to an emergency setting/disable itself. Likely could be resolved with a software change is my guess.

Reactions: Tree95
Earlier this month, while driving I80 west of Salt Lake City, traffic lanes were diverted left in a construction zone. While crossing uneven concrete pavement, I heard the warning beep, saw the "Power Steering Malfunction" message, and lost power assist. That was scary as the lanes diverted right again quickly, and I was struggling to steer the van.

I filled out a complaint at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website today detailing the four failures on two different steering racks. I also included links to this thread and the one I started almost a year ago: "Power Steering Malfunction" message

Maybe something will come of it. Maybe not.

I filed a complaint with the NHTSA over the power steering problem after my replaced unit failed two more times. Today, I received a request from someone following up on my complaint who asked me for repair records. I provided them and asked if it was OK to share the contact info with anyone else who has had this problem.

Hey All,

Keep reporting this the NHTSA. I had it happen this last weekend, and it is scary. It appears to only happen when you're at driving extremes and that is when you need reliable power steering the most. MB really seamed to be nonchalant about the issue and encouraged me to go pay for repairs.

I really like the Metris, it's a great van. but...power steering may malfunction when you need it most and your life probally depends on it, that or your cat like reflexes. :)

Good Luck.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.