·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody
I just took the new Metris for a spin
Definitely buying one in two months
I would love to hear your ideas on replacing this factory system
It was hard to hear this type of quality...
Has anything changed since 2017 that would lead to complications in regards to the other members' posts concerning component installation?
I couldn't even pick up the fm station I currently listen to in my civic...
Thanks!
Jim

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
No, no differences at all. I reccomend going for one of the various Mercedes-alike OEM android based systems from China.... if you really feel the need to replace this functionally fine unit.

·
Registered
900 Posts
A new head unit won't make up for the bad antenna embedded in the windshield. I'm looking at the high end non-nav Kenwoods. I like the front camera they have which integrates with the head unit.

·
Registered
308 Posts
> I couldn't even pick up the fm station I currently listen to in my civic...

Yep, the reception is the poorest of any vehicle I've ever owned. I live in the Sierra foothills, and the only station it receives at home is 90.9 NPR. My other vehicles receive a dozen or with no issue.

·
Registered
401 Posts
My radio reception has been fine, I've not noticed any difference vs my other vehicles....besides, who listens to regular radio anymore anyways. I'd rather listen to music than commercials so I just stream over bluetooth from my phone most of the time.

·
Registered
2020 cargo 126wb
270 Posts
My radio reception has been fine, I've not noticed any difference vs my other vehicles....besides, who listens to regular radio anymore anyways. I'd rather listen to music than commercials so I just stream over bluetooth from my phone most of the time.
Ordinary radio is still quite popular in cars (local alerts, talk radio). But in any event, assuming you actually want to use the radio, and reception is not what it should be, what are the available alternatives for a decent antenna? An accessory sharkfin perhaps? A small hole, well-sealed, shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just upgraded the sound in my 2018 Metris Passenger, but I kept the head unit. Other than the reality of a slightly retro look and feel to the display and controls, the HU works fine for my purposes. I actually like the NAV at least as well as the Uconnect system in my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

My upgrade consists of four Audison components. The speaker feeds are intercepted by an Audison Prima 8.9 amplifier/DSP (mounted under driver seat) which are fed into a pair of Audison APK 165 speakers which are available as 4 ohm or 2 ohm. I choose the 2 ohm version. Since we had sufficient outs from the amp, we left out the standard crossovers. BTW, the OEM speakers look and feel like bargain sets you might find in the <$20 bin at your local car audio store.

I added an 8” Audison sub that fits between the front seats as though it was a custom install (well, close anyway).

Also added an Audison Bit Play hi res player that comes with a built in solid state HD and 2 USB inputs or without the SSD. I had trouble with lag with USB drives so I added a 500gb SSD drive. Everything is quite responsive now. Main reason for adding the Bit Player was the desire to play flac flies which the OEM HU will not do.

The final piece is a controller that allows you to switch between the head unit with all amp/DSP benefits with no loss of any stock electronic features and the Bit Player which is controlled by either the dash mount controller, a hand held remote or a smart phone app.

The sound is great with amp power to the fronts effectively doubled by using 2 ohm fronts.

I’ll add pictures when I get to my computer.

I have no complaints about radio reception.

G

·
I added a new pioneer head unit using the adaptor kit for a sprinter. Also added a kicker active subwoofer, sounds amazing. Backup camera works well and having navigation through the head unit is a big plus. Also added a 15” drop down entertainment screen with an amazon fire stick.

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
I added a new pioneer head unit using the adaptor kit for a sprinter. Also added a kicker active subwoofer, sounds amazing. Backup camera works well and having navigation through the head unit is a big plus. Also added a 15” drop down entertainment screen with an amazon fire stick.
Can you tell me if the backup camera still has the "aiming" lines with your Pioneer unit? [The factory radio has aiming lines that change with the position of the steering wheel. This behavior is also used for the trailer mode.] I find this functionality useful, especially for occasional drivers. I would like to change my head unit but don't want to lose this...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts