Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading the discussions in trailer brake controllers and am wondering if I missed a potentially fatal flaw in my van plan. After a year of waiting, my 2021 van is scheduled to arrive this week. Does anyone know if the issue with controllers is different with the new updated van? I had hoped to put my Prodigy P2 in there. If that is not going to work, can I override the issue by using a Tekonsha RF unit? What are people who haul trailers doing? My main reason to get this van was to pull my camping trailer, which is just over the limit where I need to have trailer brakes.

·
Registered
2021 Getaway
25 Posts
I have a 2021 Getaway with aux battery under driver's seat. I poked around and I don't think there's a connector under there. It's allegedly a green plug, correct? I poked around under the dash as well and the only thing open appears to be a 16 pin connector. Going to set up the RF and give it a go after the Curt Echo fail...

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,591 Posts
I have a 2021 Getaway with aux battery under driver's seat. I poked around and I don't think there's a connector under there. It's allegedly a green plug, correct? I poked around under the dash as well and the only thing open appears to be a 16 pin connector. Going to set up the RF and give it a go after the Curt Echo fail...
We might need an assist from one of the members with the document access. I don't see a free plug dangling, but it could be a connector on my box next to the battery.

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
647 Posts
If there is to be an extra plug there ( which I have been curious about, for my next trailer which would require brakes and a controller), I don’t have one.

This is under the driver’s seat in a 2020 Cargo 135 with factory towing, no extra battery.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Gas Machine

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Electrical wiring

I am actually on my way out the door to the dealer for service.

Will inquire what the box is for and / or about brake controller hookup.
( no time to google it this exact moment )

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,591 Posts
Just for thread reference. The connection is mentioned for 2021

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,591 Posts
I was at my dealer today getting a spare key and another plastic cover for the seat base and asked about the connector. I was in the part department so we looked at the diagrams a bit and didn't find anything. Mind you, the parts system is not easy to navigate. Also, the parts system didn't show parts on my van I actually have so...grain of salt.

The parts guy said I should talk to the very knowledgeable service guy in the other building. I know that's actually @RobbMeeX so maybe I'll swing by service when I pick up my key and ask him.

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
647 Posts
I apologize, the dealership only had one advisor in, who is a long term employee, who I have known to be nice, but now seems quite overworked, let’s put it that way, with two people pulling up behind me when I walked in, I got pushed through … and upon checkout, when I got my bill for the simplest of new car A services and the robot spiel of this that and another ( no you guys did not reset the TPMS system and didn’t even have to add air to the tires because I did it just two weeks ago!! ) … adding up to $330 within 1 single work hour, I just wanted to leave … it wasn’t until I was halfway home that it popped into my head about the tow thing. Sorry.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I don't know anything about trailer brake controllers but happen to have the rear panels in my 2019 passenger van open for some customization work.

Before buying my van I requested that the dealer would install the OEM factory hitch because I thought I could use it some day in the future. I have not tested that everything works electronically (should probably rent a trailer to try it).

Anyhow, on the passenger rear side I found a wire that is not connected to anything at all. I looked at the modules around and saw no place it looked like it belonged to. It's another mystery cable to me in blue and black. Perhaps this is the elusive cable you are looking for?

Photos of the cable below (not the larger conduit bluish wire in the background - that is my solar power wire):

Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Tire Automotive lighting

Hood Automotive tire Tread Automotive design Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Hood Bumper Motor vehicle Bicycle part

·
Registered
995 Posts
If there is to be an extra plug there ( which I have been curious about, for my next trailer which would require brakes and a controller), I don’t have one.

This is under the driver’s seat in a 2020 Cargo 135 with factory towing, no extra battery.

View attachment 19679
a0009009213 is a "Fuel Pump Controller"

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,591 Posts
I don't know anything about trailer brake controllers but happen to have the rear panels in my 2019 passenger van open for some customization work.

Before buying my van I requested that the dealer would install the OEM factory hitch because I thought I could use it some day in the future. I have not tested that everything works electronically (should probably rent a trailer to try it).

Anyhow, on the passenger rear side I found a wire that is not connected to anything at all. I looked at the modules around and saw no place it looked like it belonged to. It's another mystery cable to me in blue and black. Perhaps this is the elusive cable you are looking for?

Photos of the cable below (not the larger conduit bluish wire in the background - that is my solar power wire):
I believe the elusive connector should be 4 pin. Power, ground, brake and trailer brake.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I was thinking that blue/black wire might have been the trailer brake wire, and maybe power, ground, brake would be derived from other sources...

Great, then I have discovered yet another wire which I don't know what it is for.:confused:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Went back to the van and looked at the harness. It does have a MB tag with part number A4475406336 and it looks like the blue/black wire is associated to that. I don't see any additional connectors there other than those going to the control module with part number A4479004910.

MB parts websites aren't very helpful to describe more on these. Maybe someone who has access to better manuals could help?

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,591 Posts
Went back to the van and looked at the harness. It does have a MB tag with part number A4475406336 and it looks like the blue/black wire is associated to that. I don't see any additional connectors there other than those going to the control module with part number A4479004910.

MB parts websites aren't very helpful to describe more on these. Maybe someone who has access to better manuals could help?
Do you have blind spot assist?

·
Registered
2021 Getaway
25 Posts
can I override the issue by using a Tekonsha RF unit? What are people who haul trailers doing?
Update on my brake controller experiment. The Tekonsha Prodigy RF is a success! No issues whatsoever and it pulled my 2000# teardrop flawlessly. I also replaced the adjustable hitch (too much play in it) with a 5" rise hitch and that helped a ton. The CURT Echo and adjustable hitch were a bad combination.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts