Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been adding 3m damping material and thinsulate all over my 135' wb and finally just got the top cargo panels and hardware from my local dealer (ridiculous that they didn't include them in the first year of the 135'). But anyway I'm moving onto the front cabin doors, was wondering if anyone has the workshop manual instructions for removing the front door panels?

So far the van definitely seems quieter but it's been a painful journey. I even had to put some vibration control in the cupholders to stop from rattling when there's a drink in them. Hopefully the next gen Metris will be much quieter.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I've been adding 3m damping material and thinsulate all over my 135' wb and finally just got the top cargo panels and hardware from my local dealer (ridiculous that they didn't include them in the first year of the 135'). But anyway I'm moving onto the front cabin doors, was wondering if anyone has the workshop manual instructions for removing the front door panels?

So far the van definitely seems quieter but it's been a painful journey. I even had to put some vibration control in the cupholders to stop from rattling when there's a drink in them. Hopefully the next gen Metris will be much quieter.
FWIW, I've done the same, suffered the same panel-availability insult but saved by VanGo with his '19 or '20 factory 135 Con-pearl. 80 mil Noico, 315 mil Noico RED and SM600L thinsulate everywhere.

I wouldn't touch the front doors. The pix make it clear that the cost/benefit isn't there IMHO. It has a lot of mass there already.

OK, I've attached the pdf. Have fun!

Attachments

·
Registered
520 Posts
If you go ahead be very careful around the power window module and switches.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for posting that! I think you're right, doesn't seem like there's much I can do there. In a way I'm relieved, one less thing to do! But part of me had this hope that I could get the front cabin just a little quieter.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Don't forget to take down the front cabin headliner and insulate under that -- big improvement under that. You need to take off the B-pillar covers and upper hand holds, but otherwise easy, just stay away from the airbags. It also helps to take off the sun visors and loosen the A-pillar covers.

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
375 Posts
Did you sound deaden the seat bases?

Do you have a partition?

I did not do my cabin ceiling ( did not think of it until after I put the partition back in ) or cabin doors, but doing my seat bases, extended partition floor and metal partition was night and day difference.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't forget to take down the front cabin headliner and insulate under that -- big improvement under that. You need to take off the B-pillar covers and upper hand holds, but otherwise easy, just stay away from the airbags. It also helps to take off the sun visors and loosen the A-pillar covers.
That part I did, inspired most likely by one of your threads! I had to take off the visors but managed to get by without removing the a-pillar covers. In hindsight I should've just removed the a-pillar covers too though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you sound deaden the seat bases?

Do you have a partition?

I did not do my cabin ceiling ( did not think of it until after I put the partition back in ) or cabin doors, but doing my seat bases, extended partition floor and metal partition was night and day difference.
I did do the seat bases and also have a partition. I'm not getting so much noise from that area anymore but was hoping to reduce some of the sound from the doors, but could be just coming from the windows or the side mirrors, I'm no expert.

Overall things are definitely way better than before and way less noisy than my old Sprinter or Transit.

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
375 Posts
I think it also depends on the road surface. She’s not as quiet as a modern MB sedan or suv, but I find it very acceptable, especially compared to bone stock. On some roads, driving up and down the East coast, it could be better ... but can that easily be proofed? If it comes through tires, wheels, suspension, …?

·
Registered
799 Posts
I think it also depends on the road surface. She’s not as quiet as a modern MB sedan or suv, but I find it very acceptable, especially compared to bone stock. On some roads, driving up and down the East coast, it could be better ... but can that easily be proofed? If it comes through tires, wheels, suspension, …?
Intriguing idea about the seat bases -- do you mean the interior vertical sheet metal or the floor under the batteries or both?

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
375 Posts
I did both.

Covered areas:
Exposed verticals from the rear, under the seat bases.
Tilt and scoot the seats forward, apply sound deadener to the flat area of the seat base.
Did both the upper side and under side of the extended box between the seat bases (not on passenger).
The cross beam inside and outside.
Lower half or so of the partition wall till below the window.

I actually did not do the front vertical of the seat, but that certainly could be done.
Maybe I ran out of stuff? Or forgot? :) Or maybe I figured I had patched the worst offenders.

Some images are posted in the beginning of my " Flex " thread.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts