Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me if this has been covered...I did search and didn't see anything.

At 30,000 miles my wiper blades are worn and need replacing. The OEM blades seem rather pricey. Has anyone used aftermarket blades? Seems like a fairly standard attachment...28" and 18" according to what I could find.

Just wondering if anyone has advice.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I would be careful searching for replacements. My experience is that a lot of Mercedes wiper designs limit the choice of working blades. The reason is that the travel of the passenger side blade is eccentric- it's pivot is a rather complicated mechanism and pivot moves downward as it proceeds along its travel.

While I am sure there are non-OEM blades that work, I would be diligent in looking for them. The good news is this eccentric design is currently present on most of their cars, so figuring out which blades work is not hampered by the young age of the W447.

I have had good luck with Bosch blades on Mercedes' old single wiper- little else worked- but that was pantographic (teloscoping arm that reached max length at 45 and 135 and minimum length at 0, 90, and 180) so the requirements will be differrent. But the main issue is that blades that are designed do a straight sweep don't work so well when the wiper arm sheers as well as sweeps.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good thoughts. This is why I asked.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
You could probably replace the blades yourself, but AFAIK nobody makes aftermarket blades compatible with the Metris, so you need to take it to the dealer anyway... so just have them do it.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Lift arm back, tilt blade to release lock, undo lock, it falls out. Install opposite of removal.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have used the top of the line Bosch, Hella or RainX without any issue sin Mercedes' and BMW's with no problem. Actually chances are that the OEM are either Bosch or Hella just rebranded

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for info. What about actually removing and replacing them? Do you know how that is done? I can't see exactly how to get them off and don't want to force something to bend or break. Thanks. I see that peech parts sells the Bosch for the Metris

·
Registered
248 Posts
I haven't put new blades on mine yet, but just couple of months ago I put Bosch on my former GLK. It has to be the right type though (You know, the new style, one thicker piece as opposed to the multiple bridge older style) and mention Mercedes Benz on the back, it should come with an adaptor and it's very easy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My W210 has one single eccentric travel wiper and from my experience has worked very well with any standard blade. It's no different than running a squeegee diagonally while holding it parallel to the edges.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Mercedes called it Pantographic, actually. Eccentric implies a single curve diversion from concentric. The single wiper diverges from and returns to circular twice during its movement- it extends from rest to 45*, returns to circular from 45* to 90*, extends again from 90 to 135, and then returns again from 90 to 180, then does that whole mesmerizing dance in the opposite direction. The wiper arm actually extends its length, so it’s pantographic. The Metris’s system merely spins around an eccentric pivot.

I had that wiper on a W202 and a W124.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Bosch doesn’t have a wiper blade for the metris yet well as of July they didn’t. Rain X has the fitting for the metris but it didn’t work for me so I just order some ome one from eBay.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts