Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

As some of you may know I bought a V class in Mexico and drove it up to Greenville, SC. As pretty much all cars in Mexico, this one came with Summer tires. Although the winters here are not supposed to be very harsh, I still want some added traction and safety for my wife and kids. My wife is the primary driver of this car.

I am trying to decide what is better, to buy a winter set of tires and wheels or to simply replace the summer tires for All-season tires.

Price difference is not too much, considering that I have 18" wheels and if decided for the winter set I would go for Tirerack's suggeted 17" (Cheaper tires and not so fancy wheels)

What would you recommend, especially those in the Area?

·
Registered
259 Posts
All seasons are all you need in SC. The mid atlantic and south seems to shut down at the thought of snow these days.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Prior to moving to SC a decade or so ago, we lived in northern VT for nearly 40 years. My snow experience may be ancient history but, in those days, I considered "all season" to mean, wet or dry. Snow tires, in addition to the aggressive tread, were made of "stickier" compound that stayed that way regardless of temperature. Regular compounds would get harder when cold and traction would diminish. My favorite snow tires, which may or may not be available now, were Gislaved Frost and Nokia (later changed to Nokian) Hakkapeliitta. Styles is correct, but if you plan on going into the Carolina mountains in winter, the correct tire is cheap insurance.

I had the snows on dedicated rims and would change to them at the first snow and then switch early spring and they usually lasted a long time.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Get all seasons. Winters are rather specialized, and in all snow that comes my way in Jersey and Pennsy I have never had a problem in snow. NC should be cake.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The mountain range that starts about 50-100 miles northeast of Greenville occasionally puts up the most dangerous winter roads imaginable. The Smokey and Blue Ridge mountains have peaks in the 6000 foot range and in winter continuous thick fog that has no problem freezing on the roads. Often I40 and/or 26 are impassable due to freezing fog and drizzle.

As long as the op goes south or east he would not need anything other than summer tiress. But, a driver who anticipates winter travel through the Smokeys or Blue Ridge Mountains needs better advice than he has been given so far.

·
Registered
259 Posts
ok. so if you want something that can do snow and doesn't get too soft once it warms back up the Michelin X-ice xi3 or the Nokian WRG3 would be good choices. With the WRG3 being the better choice. Conti makes a nice warmer weather snow tire as well but I don't know if its offered in the right size.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your input. I'm now evaluating whether I'm gping to go to the mountains or the nother part of the country or not to make a final decision. Thans y'all

1 - 9 of 9 Posts