Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To my fellow esteemed Metris Owners who live in northern climates. I am located in New England and with winter looming, I thought I would see who has put on dedicated snow tires, which brands or if you stayed with All Seasons for the winter, and why.

I have seen the videos of the Metris and Sprinters doing the arctic challenges, but have not seen which tires they are using.

Thanks and look forward to your posts!

·
Registered
259 Posts
In Mass it's probably preference on going with studs or not but I've been running, and plan to run on the Metris, the Michelin X-Ice 3 tires. They seem to be able to preform in a wide array of conditions and do much better than Nokians when things get warm, like it does down here.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I had a set of steel wheels included in my deal, I will mount Cooper weather masters st2s on them.

ETA: no studs

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you are planning to use the MB recommended tire specs, 225/55R17 101H XL for your winter tires, I believe that your choices are limited to either the "Continental Wintercontact SI" or the "Michelin X-Ice XI3". I bought the Michelins and had them mounted on an extra set of steel wheels along with another set of TPMS sensors. I based my choice on test results from the big online tire store and good results I've had with other Michelin tires in the past and, I like working with my local Michelin tire dealer. I haven't had the opportunity to actually try them out yet, so I can't help you there, but will post my impressions later this winter when I have a chance to drive on them in winter conditions. Michelin is currently having a sale, $70 off a set of 4 Tires if you buy from an authorized retailer on or before September 18, 2016.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I clearly missed the bus (I was going to make a short bus comment, given that I have a passenger model, but I thought I might offend someone) on asking for a second set of wheels in the deal when I bought the van.....a true "DOH" moment. Thanks for the comments so far and I will see if I can find a set of steel wheels for the winter tires.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Vredestein’s Ultra High Performance winter tyre, the Wintrac xtreme S, was developed to stand up to the extreme weather conditions in the coldest season of the year. Maximum safety on snow and ice are as important as grip and steering precision for the Wintrac xtreme S, especially on the cold snow-free surfaces on which people drive the majority of the time. Thanks to its Internal Sipe Locking Technology (ISLT), the Wintrac xtreme S takes the characteristics of a top-class winter tyre to a whole new level. The technology minimises deformation of the sipes in the tread, resulting in excellent course stability, greater steering precision and an enhanced sense of safety at higher speeds. There are many sizes available with the Y speed index and - combined with the great looks that come from a Giugiaro-designed tyre - this makes the Wintrac xtreme S suitable for the highest performance and most exclusive cars.

I have them and I love them.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I had a set of steel wheels included in my deal, I will mount Cooper weather masters st2s on them.

ETA: no studs
I will forgo the TPMS sensors, I run snows from mid December to mid February, for the cost I'll deal with the light for ~two months a year.

I have the Coopers on my Volvo S80 and they are outstanding. Max load is 1609', I am not worried about overloading them on my passenger van, but maybe would if I was running a cargo fully loaded.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I ran the stock Hankooks last winter. Last winter was a joke, but on the two snow days we had, they did fine.

That being said I wouldn't discourage mounting snow tires. But I never had on any of my vehicles, all but one of them (an ML350) were RWD and did just fine.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Unfortunately, all 5 Tire Rack choices are studless. After two sets of Blizzaks and one Nokian (at 1.5 times the price) I have learned that around here, studded tires are far superior, and cheaper. I am not using this van as a winter vehicle, but I would explore alternate sizes if I had to since studs are legal in the OP's location and environs.

PS: Speed ratings on winter tires are pointless, IMO.

·
Registered
215 Posts
If you are planning to use the MB recommended tire specs, 225/55R17 101H XL for your winter tires, I believe that your choices are limited to either the "Continental Wintercontact SI" or the "Michelin X-Ice XI3".
Unfortunately, all 5 Tire Rack choices are studless. After two sets of Blizzaks and one Nokian (at 1.5 times the price) I have learned that around here, studded tires are far superior, and cheaper.
Living in northern NY, I have had studded winter tires on all vehicles for twenty years, from November thru April, cheap insurance in my opinion. After reading these posts, I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to get studded tires for the Metris. So I went to Tire Rack and found that they recommend "minus sizing" for winter tires. Following their recommendation to get a 225/60R16, three studdable tires are offered: Firestone Winterforce, Goodyear Ultra Grip Winter, and my personal favorite, after having three sets of them on various cars, General Altimax Arctic. Read their explanation about the benefits of "minus-sizing".

This is an excerpt from Tire Rack's page:"
Save Money While Enhancing Your Vehicle's Deep Snow Traction

Tire Rack's Preferred Winter Packages* often feature alternate sizes that combine smaller diameter wheels (that fit over the vehicle's Original Equipment brakes and within its wheelwell) with narrower, higher profile tires (that have equivalent load capacities and overall diameters). This not only promotes better deep snow traction, but also results in less expensive Winter / Snow Tire & Wheel Packages. An additional advantage higher profile tire sizes offer is they feature taller sidewalls and smaller diameter wheels that more easily resist damage associated with winter road hazards and early spring potholes."

Sounds good to me.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Following their recommendation to get a 225/60R16, three studdable tires are offered: Firestone Winterforce, Goodyear Ultra Grip Winter, and my personal favorite, after having three sets of them on various cars, General Altimax Arctic.
More information, hope I'm not beating it to death - I've also had two sets of Firestone Winterforce studded on A 2005 Toyota Sienna and 2001 Honda Civic. They gave good service, close to 50K on each car, but were a bit mushy handling. The General Arctic studded I will have (come November) on a 2012 VW Sportwagen, 2004 Toyota Prius, and the same 2001 Honda Civic. Just got a set for the 2005 Sienna. Judging from tread measurements,they will go close to 50K on all cars. And having driven all four cars with the Generals, I would say that those tires are more responsive to steering input (not as mushy handling). I have not had experience with the Goodyear Ultra Grip Winter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is anyone running without the TPMS sensors? Is it just a warning light on the dash or does it ding non-stop. We had a Lexus that wouldn't stop beeping an alert when the winter wheels were on.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Is anyone running without the TPMS sensors? Is it just a warning light on the dash or does it ding non-stop. We had a Lexus that wouldn't stop beeping an alert when the winter wheels were on.
I plan on not installing TPMS, I hope it's just a light. You

·
Registered
13 Posts
Safety first! Whatever happened to the tech that measured individual wheel spin? If a wheel was spinning faster than the rest, it was because low pressure was making it a smaller diameter???

·
Registered
64 Posts
The correct TPMS sensors are only $52 each at the big online tire store and around $59 each for MB parts from the dealer. The MB sensors are manufactured by Schrader, so if you shop around you might be able to find a lower price.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm not sure why you'd want to not be aware of the potential for a stranding flat during a period of inclement weather...
Because its nanny state BS, invented for ignorants and legislated by morons?

But really because I'm cheap and more than capable of knowing I'm getting a flat before it's completely flat.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Darn! I was hoping they would be passive TPMS like on my B200 Turbo.

From our former Jeep Grand Cherokees ('05 and '10), the sensors were annoying when they failed and to replace, seven times in both during ownership.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts