Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2018 passenger metris month ago . I've been enjoying driving it during the break in period. I have a question about washer fluid for it. Is there a recommended one? Thanks

·
Registered
401 Posts
A fluid meant for the temperatures the van will be exposed to. I run regular blue -20 rated fluid and it works great. I avoid the stuff with ice melt, bug vaporize, and rain anti-gravity in it....leaves gross stuff in the tank (especially on heated ones) and can make the wipers skitter on the glass.

Reactions: RobbMeeX

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
I would avoid the Mercedes-Benz brand wiper fluid. I always make a point of filling my tank before bringing it in, Incase i forget to tell them not to put any in.

It’s useless.

I use whatever my local convienence store has spring to fall, and Peak or RainX -40 winter fluid in the winter. I’m not specifically endorsing them tho. They do the job; there are probably better.

·
Registered
943 Posts
We use BG washer fluid.

I personally fill most cars up with water. too much concentrate gels the system.

My Metris gets a bottle of special sauce every other fill. (We used to carry some other brand. I have stockpiled it)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your help with this. I just got some wash from Wallyworld. It seems to work great! I was concerned about the heater gumming up the system, I guess it's not a problem.
This forum is great!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yeah, typical washer fluid you find at autoparts stores and gas stations (at least in west mountain states) is 50% distilled water (important that it's mineral-free), 50% methanol, plus trace amount of blue dye. That's just going to boil off worst case. MB stuff seems to have some detergent added too, which probably helps clean the bugs.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just took my wife's 2017 Metris in for it's last free "B" service. It's her's, I don't drive it much...so on my way out the door she says the front wiper fluid is barely coming out. I check them and yep, just a trickle. When I'm checking in with the Service Manager, I ask if they could look into it. He says, "Have you filled the reservoir?". "Yes", says I. "With what?" says he. "RainX" I reply. "What color?" he inquires. I said, "Orange". He quips, "Well that's the problem and it's not covered under warranty". I said leave it and I'll fix it. I'm thinking BS. I've used RainX (and others) for years in all my vehicles and RainX has never clogged anything up. Now, I'm on really good terms with the Tech who works on the vans. I field the problem and what the SM told me to him. He says the orange and green RainX is a vinegar formula and it reacts to an "additive" in the MB fluid that causes the fluid to gel and clogs the mesh screen and nozzles. I've seen similar with mixing anti-freezes so in my pea size brain he explanation has plausibilities. Tech says use the cheap "blue" stuff that is alcohol based and I won't have the problem. My demented mind thinks MB puts the "additive" in to cause this problem to get more $$$ out of me. Not really. I'm not that paranoid. Anyway, Tech cleans the system out for me gratis on the QT. When you take care of your Tech...he takes care of you. Here's the picture he took of a nozzle with the goo.

Sculpture Water Statue Art Bronze sculpture

·
Registered
2020 cargo 126wb
270 Posts
I love Rain-X (orange). Last car I had I siphoned all the factory fluid out and filled it up completely with Rain-X. After a quart or so at speeds of over 50 mph the water runs off so fast you don’t need the wipers, especially at highway speeds. I’m hoping this is true of the Metris when it finally gets delivered.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts