Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all:

I finally got my window opening cut out. Good results. I could only use the center cut shears (recommended by CR Laurence) on the lower ground parallel cut, jig saw for the rest. Even though I masked and placed a bunch of magnets strategically to catch metal filings from the cutting and grinding, I did find some metal bits past the masking down in the lower body well that has the "grease" and black plastic Mercedes-Benz foam bags.

Anyhow, I removed the bags for cleaning and found some metal in the greasy substance MB sprays in the body cavities (at least with the cold weather package). I did some searching on body shop sites. Turns out the "grease" is Cavity Wax or Preservative Wax, MB P/N 000-986-72-70-10 sells for about $35. I intend to clean the work area of the old wax and any metal, then re apply. I also bought the MB Sealing Adhesive 005-989-63-20-9678 for any future body work.

Pix below. Yes, the front of the window opening is taller to follow the Metris wedge-shaped front to rear contour.

Attachments

Reactions: Baron

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Finished product.

Anybody know how to remove the C.R. Laurence screens?

Attachments

Reactions: Baron and gogoKawi

·
Registered
196 Posts
Finished product.

Anybody know how to remove the C.R. Laurence screens?
I am still undecided what windows shall I install, now I am thinking of the Double-Pane RV Window 450x900mm or

47000 $ 470.00
Double-Pane RV Window 550x700mm (Window Open) - Campervan HQ
https://www.campervan-hq.com/collections/mercedes-metris-windows

I did install today (almost) el. plug from the outside for extension cord in camp sites with 120 V available on the post, it will be big help I could plug in heater or fan and have the van locked, that I could not have before.
Unfortunately the snow came before I was done w/install.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am still undecided what windows shall I install, now I am thinking of the Double-Pane RV Window 450x900mm or

47000 $ 470.00
Double-Pane RV Window 550x700mm (Window Open) - Campervan HQ
https://www.campervan-hq.com/collections/mercedes-metris-windows
Nice choice for the rear sleeping area. I wanted to brighten the interior and get ventilation without a roof vent (at least initially). I also liked the fact that CRL matches the OEM dark tint (which I have on my rear windows) and matches the exterior body contours.

I too bought the C.R Laurence windows through Campervan HQ. I dealt with a person named Greg Keith out of Boulder. I was able to pick up the FW642L at the C.R. Laurence factory near downtown L.A. (actually Vernon) without a shipping charge. I'm still waiting on the FW642R -- I've been given two dates each three weeks out, so I don't think making Metris windows is a common event for CRL! I am actually a little worried about the consistency of the look of the windows from production run to production run as I met some Sprinter folk whose installer put in two CRL windows (same style as mine) and the interior hardware was different on each (opening knobs).

·
Registered
196 Posts
Nice choice for the rear sleeping area. I wanted to brighten the interior and get ventilation without a roof vent (at least initially). I also liked the fact that CRL matches the OEM dark tint (which I have on my rear windows) and matches the exterior body contours.

I too bought the C.R Laurence windows through Campervan HQ. I dealt with a person named Greg Keith out of Boulder. I was able to pick up the FW642L at the C.R. Laurence factory near downtown L.A. (actually Vernon) without a shipping charge. I'm still waiting on the FW642R -- I've been given two dates each three weeks out, so I don't think making Metris windows is a common event for CRL! I am actually a little worried about the consistency of the look of the windows from production run to production run as I met some Sprinter folk whose installer put in two CRL windows (same style as mine) and the interior hardware was different on each (opening knobs).
focus805 thank you, I do agree that Greg Keith out of Boulder CO. is very knowledgeable person, as you know he had written a book how to upfit a Sprinter, had done it himself and his website is loaded with parts we need to upfit our dream campers. The only problem is to decide :) there are so many possibilities and I have no windows to match :) The camper in the summer feels like dungeon without windows. The pop up roof gives me lots of air and light, but in some areas I don't feel safe to pop up the roof (rest area for sure) so window even in the back door would be fine. Decisions, decisions, decisions :)

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FW642 Update:

I was able to pick up the passenger side CR Laurence window several weeks ago. I attacked the install yesterday. It is both easier and harder than the driver's side.

It's easier in that it avoids areas that are concealed behind trim and it is much easier to mask off to avoid rust bombs metal particles hitting your rocker panels.

It's harder in that the window WARNING DOES NOT FIT THE INTERIOR DOOR CUT OUT. It is substantially smaller (to avoid the door hardware), which necessitates using an exterior template. Positioning that template is, precision-wise about a plus/minus 3/8" job, but I am shooting for 1/8" so I cut the opening small and am grinding my way to a tight fit. Basically, I turned a carpenter's job and turned it into a cobbler's job. BTW, the interior lock on the slider is easy to trim if you're not careful on the cut out. Another post warned on that.

The pix show the first cut results. I wound up not bothering with the center cut shears as the masking was easy. You also get a glimpse of the constrained garage space that drove my Metris buy.

Attachments

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FW642R Update: PROJECT COMPLETE!

One weekend and 12 hours later, I have a very nicely installed passenger-side C.R. Laurence FW642R in my Metris. I am particularly pleased with the results of my template -- the really even gap around the window as it sits in the body cavity.

Like my FW642L, this one came with bronzed #8 x 3/4" Phillips round head sheet metal screws for assembly. Those fasteners were fine for my driver's side window -- manu'd in 2017. My FW642R was made 2/19 and the screws would bottom out before clamping the window in place. Quick trip to local hardware for 1/2" #8's and #10's (didn't trust the torque). This worked OK, but my heart and soul knew that Home Depot would have the ideal 5/8 model. They did, so I had to replace the CRL screws with 10# x 5/8"

Coulda woulda shoulda hung a simple mask curtain to protect the cab, but nooooooo, so the project includes a hour of clean up.

Attachments

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
196 Posts
Boy, that's a beauty. Gotta love double glazing! The metric dimensions translate to 27.56 x 21.65, so I guess you're going to put in back?
focus805 as I said I did not measure the spot so I don't know what size as of yet, I will be installing the window to ventilate cooking or to get some air sleeping when the top is down so the window will go into the driver's side sliders were the furniture is, I like the idea of double glazing, and the blinds installed into the window also the size of the opening (the whole window opens) as you can see, I am looking more to the practical side, than to the total copy of Marco Polo :) Yours Metris look elegant :) my will be mainly practical :) I am using my (our..,my lady's and mine) Metris to camp month at a time, my plan is to see with my lady all american national parks, I have many to go :) but plenty behind us :) last one was Zion in March this year,...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all:

I finally got my window opening cut out. Good results. I could only use the center cut shears (recommended by CR Laurence) on the lower ground parallel cut, jig saw for the rest. Even though I masked and placed a bunch of magnets strategically to catch metal filings from the cutting and grinding, I did find some metal bits past the masking down in the lower body well that has the "grease" and black plastic Mercedes-Benz foam bags.

Anyhow, I removed the bags for cleaning and found some metal in the greasy substance MB sprays in the body cavities (at least with the cold weather package). I did some searching on body shop sites. Turns out the "grease" is Cavity Wax or Preservative Wax, MB P/N 000-986-72-70-10 sells for about $35. I intend to clean the work area of the old wax and any metal, then re apply. I also bought the MB Sealing Adhesive 005-989-63-20-9678 for any future body work.

Pix below. Yes, the front of the window opening is taller to follow the Metris wedge-shaped front to rear contour.
How did you know what size to cut the opening?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts