1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
When I first heard Mercedes was thinking of bringing the Vito in, I was ecstatic. I had been dreading my car dying because I knew the only vehicle that made sense replacing it at the time was the Sprinter, but I felt that was too big.

So when Mercedes confirmed to me that they were bringing a Vito based van in I told my friends I was likely going to buy one. The jokes about the name, which included references to "goombahs", "Dagos", and "guidos" with liberal godfather jokes, made me wonder how Mercedes was going to manage it.

The Italian gangster perception in this country really does make the name somewhat unviable. Please keep in mind I am not suggesting that Italian Americans warrant such a perception- but there are too many ignorant knuckleheads in this country to ignore that perception when working from a marketing department.

·
Registered
60 Posts
When I first heard Mercedes was thinking of bringing the Vito in, I was ecstatic. I had been dreading my car dying because I knew the only vehicle that made sense replacing it at the time was the Sprinter, but I felt that was too big.

So when Mercedes confirmed to me that they were bringing a Vito based van in I told my friends I was likely going to buy one. The jokes about the name, which included references to "goombahs", "Dagos", and "guidos" with liberal godfather jokes, made me wonder how Mercedes was going to manage it.

The Italian gangster perception in this country really does make the name somewhat unviable. Please keep in mind I am not suggesting that Italian Americans warrant such a perception- but there are too many ignorant knuckleheads in this country to ignore that perception when working from a marketing department.
MBUSA HQ would of still been based in NJ when the decision was made to import and name change. I'm not sure if this is much of an issue outside of the NorEast though...

·
Registered
56 Posts
THat's pretty funny. I haven't seen the GodFather. Is Vito not an admirable character? People don't want a vehicle named after him?

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
It has a "gangsterish" connotation here. Did you ever hear what happened when Chevy sold the Nova (No Va, No Go in Spanish) in Mexico? Or Buick considered selling the LaCrosse in Quebec?

Better safe than sorry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts