Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Just got my 2017 cargo Tuesday night and have been reading the posts here as well as pouring over the manuals. I have never owned a vehicle with two batteries. The second one is under the passenger seat and it is for? And why is it needed? Really enjoy the van so far. The info on the nav system is very skimpy, so have been reading the manual on line. I had a 2014 Nissan nv1500, which I loved, but lost it in a fire. I searched for a van that would be a bit smaller and have more options like heated seats and the blind spot monitor, but still be able to carry all my windsurf gear. I drive from central California to Corpus Christi, TX for a month in the fall and another month in the spring to sail. Looking forward to setting up the van for the trips. I really enjoy reading all the questions and answers here.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Extra battery for extra usage as to not drain the main battery. If you get the "additional battery for retrofit" you'll likely order the Programmable Special Module as well.

PSM information for Sprinter, but if you ordered it, you'd know about it.

https://www.upfitterportal.com/en-ca/tech-info/psm-info

·
Registered
278 Posts
The second one is under the passenger seat and it is for?
Actually, the one under the passenger seat is the 'first' one as it's the one used to start the engine.

And, you may be surprised that there is likely another smaller battery just behind the battery compartment under the passenger seat. In my cargo van, it's accessible from the cargo side behind a metal shield. Despite folks (and Mercedes) saying it's used for stop-start, I don't have that option but do have the battery.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I think it's something to do with being able to apply the park pawl in case of emergency power failure. I know the older GL and ML operated that way. They mentioned it in Trans school.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Unless you ordered the second battery package, which puts a second full size battery under the drivers seat, you only have one main battery. The other batteries serve different purposes like Eco start stop or as emergency power for things like activating the parking cotter pin mechanism (which is electrically activated on the Metris).

As for the second full size battery, that's for powering extra items, like running a camper refrigerator or powering strobelights. Or a billion other things someone might want to aux power in a work truck.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ima, contacting my local MB dealer. I have 2 "real batteries" but have been unable to determine which terminals on the EK1 are connected. I have lights and a fan to connect and every time I take my meter to the BB connector it is all hot from the starter battery.

The Sprinter Service Bulletin is Not helpful for my 2017 Metris

·
Registered
483 Posts
If you want to get technical, it seems there's THREE batteries without the aux battery option.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you for this post. I have a Metris passenger van with just one battery under the passenger seat. Under the driver seat there are cables which tells me that I can add another battery.
My question is; can I just add another battery or is something else needed?

Thank you
/jakob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts