Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been considering (planning on) a Metris Cargo 135" as an upgrade when my Chrysler Town & Country finally wears out. I mentioned this to my trusted and knowledgeable mechhanic and he said they have Chrysler engines. I made sure he knew I was talking about a Metris and not a Sprinter, since Dodge made Sprinters for a while, and he said they had a Metris in the shop and the engine looked suspiciously like a Chrysler engine and even shared some part numbers. He's wrong, isn't he? Please tell me he's wrong.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've been considering (planning on) a Metris Cargo 135" as an upgrade when my Chrysler Town & Country finally wears out. I mentioned this to my trusted and knowledgeable mechhanic and he said they have Chrysler engines. I made sure he knew I was talking about a Metris and not a Sprinter, since Dodge made Sprinters for a while, and he said they had a Metris in the shop and the engine looked suspiciously like a Chrysler engine and even shared some part numbers. He's wrong, isn't he? Please tell me he's wrong.
gives an overview, it's 100% Mercedes design: Mercedes-Benz M270/M274 engine - Wikipedia - with their standard (at the time it came out) transmission the 7g tronic plus: Mercedes-Benz 7G-Tronic transmission - Wikipedia -

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gives an overview, it's 100% Mercedes design: Mercedes-Benz M270/M274 engine - Wikipedia - with their standard (at the time it came out) transmission the 7g tronic plus: Mercedes-Benz 7G-Tronic transmission - Wikipedia -
Interesting videos, thanks. Looks like that transmission is used in a bunch of MB models that must have the start-stop feature as an option, but I don't suppose the Metris is one of them.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Interesting videos, thanks. Looks like that transmission is used in a bunch of MB models that must have the start-stop feature as an option, but I don't suppose the Metris is one of them.
I recall that as an option on the Metris back when I was shopping around. Is that no longer the case?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Many of them had start stop in the first few years of production but they deleted the option around 2019 model year I believe. For good reason, its annoying and pointless.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Agreed with several: you need a new mechanic. Dodge never made the Sprinter; they sold the Sprinter. Dodge-branded Sprinters were built in Mannheim and Dusseldorf, Germany on the same assembly lines as Mercedes and Freightliner Sprinters, and Volkswagen LT (first gen)/Crafter (second gen) vans. Cargo versions were knocked down and shipped to Ladsen for reassembly; passenger vans were shipped whole. The first gen Dodge Sprinter was equipped with the Mercedes OM612 2.7 liter common rail diesel inline-5. The second gen Dodge Sprinter was available with either the Mercedes OM642 3.0 liter commonrail V6 turbo diesel, or briefly the 3.5 liter M273 gas V6 (almost none were actually sold). Besides a few American market equipment variations, they were in fact a Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 219/319 (2500/3500), the only Dodge parts on the thing were the badges.

The Metris is also a Mercedes only affair, (so is the Vito as it is named elsewhere, except for the 2015-2019 FWD models, which had Renault-sourced powertrains, and those were never sold here). The Metris is a rear-wheel-drive, fully independently suspended van based on a platform that is exclusive to the Mercedes mid-size van lineup (Vito, Valente, Metris, and V-class). It has no Chrysler made parts. The W447 van chassis is not sold under any other brand names, anywhere in the world. (Unless, I guess, you include the Brabus-tuned versions, but that’s honestly a whole different thing.)

The current Metris is powered by a M274 engine, which is purely a Mercedes design. It is produced by Mercedes, and there is a US plant owned by Nissan also building them; they were used in some Infiniti models, although I believe both production and use of them by Nissan has stopped, but I am not sure. There may be some design similarities between MB and Chrysler parts; first of all they used to be the same company, and for example the window switchgear from two generations ago was used on Chrysler products. Some design logic might be shared between them; the RWD Chrysler LX cars are based on the Mercedes W210 E-class platform engineering.

Almost exclusively, however, it was Chrysler adopting Mercedes designs. I am quite certain, knowing Daimler-Benz’s world beating arrogance, they didn’t adapt any Chrysler design concepts.

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dodge didn’t build Sprinters, only marketed them. I really don’t believe the Metris engine, which I love, is a Chrysler motor

·
Registered
397 Posts
MB/Daimler has not had anything to do with Chrysler in many many years, that ended long ago.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well it was Daimler/Chrysler for a while. I think Sprinters were always made by Daimler even though sold as Dodge, Mercedes or Freightliner. It’s logical to assume there’d be some crossover for parts and larger assemblies.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
It seems logical to assume that, but only if you don’t know the culture of Daimler. Daimler is the most arrogant manufacturer of them all- that includes Tesla and Toyota. Some of the most remarkable things out of MB in the last 20 years was three notable examples of a non-Daimler engine in three products: the Nissan motors in the quickly discontinued X-class (that whole truck was mind blowing actually), the jointly developed but primarily Renault diesels in front wheel drive MB cars and the FWD Vito (now a fully MB design), and the Mitsubishi engines in second-gen smart cars.

Of the van manufacturers only three build their own- Ford, VW, and Mercedes- and as of the next generation the Ford and VW efforts will be joint. The rest are collaborative in some way. Mercedes does not stoop to using other people’s designs- for better or worse.

There was during the DC era some Mercedes in Chryslers,and there still is, but there isn’t really any Chrysler in Mercedes and there really never was.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts