Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I need another set of wheels for summer tires, I'll use my steel ones for winters. There are more tire options oriented to the way my wife and I drive in the summer in 18, and 19 inches.

I am considering upsizing to 18s, or maybe even 19s.
The V-Klasse uses both 245/45r19 102 at 19x8" ET52 and 245/45r18 100 at 18x7.5" ET52, though it has adaptive suspension which our metris does not.

From the sidewall of the original tire/wheel setup, those both are going to stick out .31 inches more at the sidewall, when compared to our stock setup here in the US, according to offset calculators.

Some folks on here have posted pictures of using the 19x8.5 59 ET GLE wheels, though i am not sure what tire they used. There is not a ton of space to work with in regards to inner sidewall to strut housing clearance with the stock setup, according to an offset calculator 245/45r19 with 59 ET, the inner sidewall would be .66 inches closer to the strut housing from stock. That is .28" closer than the v-classe 245/45r19 at et52.

I personally am trying to stay with factory benz wheels.
There are some great factory wheels in et38, but those would stick out .55" more than the v-class setup, and .86" more than stock, at the sidewalls. I worry about scrub angle at that point too, as well as the more negative offset applying more leverage to the suspension during cornering. Though i am considering fender flares to protect from corrosion already which would suit that offset aesthetically, I am not really ready to swap springs and struts to compensate for the effect on suspension geo, nor do i want to have an alignment that best suits one set of wheels and tires better than the other.
Or maybe i am overthinking it. I have played with offset on other cars before, but I have not done it enough to have confidence in myself to make the call, only enough to know that sometimes what seems like a small difference numerically makes a big difference when applied.

...anyway.
From you folks that have run 18 or 19 inch wheels

Which brand wheel?
what style wheel?
What diameter and width?
what offset?

Which brand tire?
which style tire?
what size?
what load range?

Ride, comfort, noise, and handling notes after change?

What are your driving conditions and habits?

Which Metris?
Cargo?
Cargo LWB?
PAX?
PAX comfort?
modified? If so what is the setup?

Pictures would be great too.

Thanks!:nerd:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I noticed tire rack has up et52 though et38 for 18x8 wheels for our vans. For whatever that is worth.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Ich fahre es auf den OEM 17 Zoll Rädern. Darauf fährt es sich schwer genug. Ich muss meine sehr teure Zahnbehandlung nicht aus dem Mund klopfen. Ich schlage vor, Sie ziehen es nicht in Betracht, Ihre Reifen zu verbessern. Es ist wichtig zu bedenken, dass es besser ist, in Rente zu gehen, als dass Ihr Zahnarzt in Rente geht.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wheels Enkei TFR 18"x8" ET45
Tires Michelin MXM4 245/50/18
Passenger with comfort suspension lower with H&R Spring

·
Registered
489 Posts
OP did you decide? Any others have suggestions? I'm looking to upgrade steelies on the cargo van. I'd like 19" but will suffice 18". What tires are giving you all the best mileage and performance?

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
585 Posts
OP did you decide? Any others have suggestions? I'm looking to upgrade steelies on the cargo van. I'd like 19" but will suffice 18". What tires are giving you all the best mileage and performance?
If it helps I have the 19s from a European V class van on a US passenger van with the comfort package. They aren't smooth at times. I like them and they look good, but I'm about to drive 5k miles and I'm considering grabbing some steelies and enjoying the soft ride. I'd put the 19s back on after the trip.

Just my opinion, but if I had a cargo van I would go with 18 and below for comfort. Probably quieter also.

·
Registered
489 Posts
If it helps I have the 19s from a European V class van on a US passenger van with the comfort package. They aren't smooth at times. I like them and they look good, but I'm about to drive 5k miles and I'm considering grabbing some steelies and enjoying the soft ride. I'd put the 19s back on after the trip.

Just my opinion, but if I had a cargo van I would go with 18 and below for comfort. Probably quieter also.
I know but 19s look sooo good on the Metris. I was thinking to go 255/40/19 to maintain as much 'comfort' as possible. What tire brand and size are you wrapping your 19s with? Hows the treadwear and performance?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts