Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the metris world. I'm looking to get another set of wheel with snow tires. I'm in NYC and I'll be using the metris to transport my snow blower since it's rwd I figured snow tires will be better then chains. Anyway my question is if I get oem wheels can after market tpms work with the Mercedes system or do I need oem sensor?

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I don't know if an aftermarket system will work or not, but I'd go with OEM. I'd get a set of steelies being sold on eBay or whatnot. There seem to be quite a few at any given time... but if it comes with tires, make sure they are the Contis rather than the Hankooks. I wouldn't trust those things- from experience.

Also, NYC, I don't think you really need snow tires at all. I have no intention of buying them in central Jersey, and it's slightly warmer in the city itself. I have gotten by without them for my entire driving life, and excluding my ML350, all of my cars, my other van, and my box truck have all been RWD without traction control- and I have never had any trouble with driving around. I mean presuming I am using appropriate caution, same as with any drive system.

I mean if it was FWD, you'd definitely need snow tires, but RWD?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know if an aftermarket system will work or not, but I'd go with OEM. I'd get a set of steelies being sold on eBay or whatnot. There seem to be quite a few at any given time... but if it comes with tires, make sure they are the Contis rather than the Hankooks. I wouldn't trust those things- from experience.

Also, NYC, I don't think you really need snow tires at all. I have no intention of buying them in central Jersey, and it's slightly warmer in the city itself. I have gotten by without them for my entire driving life, and excluding my ML350, all of my cars, my other van, and my box truck have all been RWD without traction control- and I have never had any trouble with driving around. I mean presuming I am using appropriate caution, same as with any drive system.

I mean if it was FWD, you'd definitely need snow tires, but RWD?
I have the steel wheel right now with the hankooks I guess I'll see how it goes this year.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I pick up steel wheels today and putting snow tires on them. They have oem sensor will the work on my van or do they need to be programmed to my van.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts