Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a wheel chair that sits unused in the Metris all week long until it's use is required for shopping, or whenever we're allowed again, to worship.
I use the van on occassion during the week from time to time and thusly can charge a 12 volt set of onboard batteries under my chair.
I'm an ex-football player and as such a large individual with an oversized chair with two 12v batteries hooked parallel.
I know that there are guys on this forum that are capable of guiding me to the correct items I would need to leave my chair onboard for it's limited charging needs.
I'm 70 yrs old now and have this great van with my chair lift in the rear anchored into the 3rd row seat points.
I, further, would offer that this is a repurposed dealer courtesy van with 3 batteries under the passenger seat.
I have an excellent platform for this purpose, I feel, & need just the right electrician to guide me in the right direction for onboard charging.

Anyone got any ideas?
I've consulted the chair factory & let's just say that they're more than a little timid to assist for liability reasons.
I can't say that I blame them, given the cost of attorneys and litigations.
I might possibly consult the dealer from whom I purchased the van but that could get pricey in a hurry.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I am not an expert by any stretch, but I would think that an appropriately sized inverter plugged into the second row 12v outlet would suit your needs just fine. I don’t think that the chargers draw that much and you have most of the week to top it off while you are running around. In addition you don’t have to make any permanent modifications.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just discovered the worst news. The charger is a 24v - 5amp output. Further, the chair is 12 volt X 2 BUT there are two motors with a battery each to power the chair...one left wheel aNS ONE RIGHT.
Evidently, the charger is 24 volt to aid charging both batteries simultaneously. I might be able to charge the chair, onboard, if and only after serious rewiring the system to do so.
In short, like the Mrs. just told me. I'm just gonna have to remove the chair from the vehicle once every coupe of weeks to charge it. Sigh

I could always get one of those cheap slow motion chairs & that ain't happening, either!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Right, but you have a charger that you use at home and plug into the wall. So, just use that in your van. Plug it in to something like This, not necessarily that particular inverter (that was just the first one that came up on the search) but one matched to your particular electrical needs. The input should be listed on your charger along with the output, just find an inverter that provides that minimum and you should be set.

·
Registered
2016 Cargo converted into a camper van
340 Posts
Do you want to charge the batteries while driving (using the alternator) or when the van is parked (using the grid 120 volt)?

If you're going to charge the chair while driving, as Firemancjr suggested, an inverter is a simple solution.

If you're going to charge the chair while the van is parked at your home, it seems like an extension cord would be the easy solution.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I'm thinking that the extension cord is the way to go.
That way I can just leave it in the vehicle.
Taking it in & out, just to charge it, is getting old.
I did try the inverter but there's not enough voltage being fed through the system to fire the charger.
Sometimes ya just gotta do things the hard way...Sigh

1 - 6 of 6 Posts