Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
That looks good and i'm sure will be fine. Until someone hits it again hard and it doesn't absorb the crash as designed. Maybe i'm wrong and it will. IDK
Anyways, is there damage to the pillar?

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,591 Posts
That looks good and i'm sure will be fine. Until someone hits it again hard and it doesn't absorb the crash as designed. Maybe i'm wrong and it will. IDK
Anyways, is there damage to the pillar?
I used to buy totals and rebuild them. Mostly RX-7's, but also 60's VW bus, a '68 Camaro and a few Porsche's etc. One time we did a total splice job on 1st gen GSL SE. Front clip and a rear corner. The same week we finished it I was hit on the freeway on I5 in Seattle right about where the Old Rainer Brewery doing about 70. It spun me around a half dozen times hitting the concrete wall. The irony was that the damage was EXACTLY the same as when we bought the wreck. None of our welds broke. (we sold the wreck and didn't even keep parts). So, I was going to say that lightning doesn't strike twice and the odds that anyone is going to hit that van in the same way again is very low... but I know better. That said, having done this many times the right way I know it can be done the wrong way. Yes, a repair can be weaker than the original but it doesn't have to be that way. From the images I think he's doing a good job and I wont worry about safety of this van.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Painting is almost over. encountered problems in the electric sliding door lock. the lock that stood on the door is broken. a new one needs to be ordered, the assembly cost is over $ 800. the problem is not even in the money, in ukraine it is not, wait + -14 days.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,591 Posts
Have you mounted the seat rail yet? I'm interested some detail around securing the rail above the fuel tank.

Looks good. It does look like the damage to the door mechanism is more than a broken case.

You could always shut the door and weld it permanently shut :)

Did you test fit the door with the weatherstripping on before painting?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Good afternoon . are there people among the forum who are engaged in transportation. need from 70129 new orleans to 07094 secocus. caravan trailer.

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
647 Posts
Thank you for keeping us posted. I looks like you got the van in the dark of night. :)
Hopefully we get a few daytime photos as well. I am happy this adventure is working out for you.

How hard is to register the vehicle coming from the US?
Were there any surprises during the repair?
Was it a very complex and expensive repair after all?

( ) I cannot help you regarding transportation, the only I do is personal transport of myself and family.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts