Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought it was a good idea to start a thread about using your warranty / ELW. We could document stuffs like:

What went wrong with your Metris?
What was the dealer diagnosis about it?
At what mileage it happened?
Was it covered by the warranty?

·
Registered
8 Posts
At 46,000 miles my two front lower balls joints needed to be replaced, much earlier than I would have imagined. They were not covered by warranty. If it were a MB auto it would have been covered. It cost me $2,200 to replace them. I was really mad about this.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At 46,000 miles my two front lower balls joints needed to be replaced, much earlier than I would have imagined. They were not covered by warranty. If it were a MB auto it would have been covered. It cost me $2,200 to replace them. I was really mad about this.
That sure was an expensive repair. I should start a maintenance account for stuff not covered by warranty. Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
The power train warranty is separate from the Extended Limited Warranty; that being said ball joints fall solidly into “wear items” on either warranty. Ouch, though.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Much like on newer MB sedans/SUV's (and lots of other vehicles from other manufacturers) the ball joint is sold as part of the lower control arm assembly. That part is approx $490 from MB....for each side. The rest is labor....several hours likely. Off brand versions seem to be around $260....not sure I'd trust that for such a critical part though....really depends where they are made and if they are just side-market originals with the star ground off, or an actual different part. For a skilled DIY this is a doable job at home...still not cheap though at $950+

One benefit to this setup is you also get new control arm bushings. Which on older cars if needing replacement added further parts cost and labor, making it just as expensive in the end.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had the purge control valve replaced under warranty. Symptoms were rougher engine noise and the check engine light came on. This was at about 14,000 miles.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
The only symptom of my PCV was an intermittent CEL. Frankly the Metris’s engine has never qualified as particularly quiet. Actually I have never owned an MB, or driven one actually, with less than twelve cylinders that qualified as quiet. Admittedly most of them had Diesel engines, but even the gassers are not particularly quiet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts