Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Yup, entire cap. How many miles? If under warranty, cut the seal then tell em you have a CEL. Not serious. Or am I?

·
Registered
86 Posts
18k miles. Still under original as well as ELW. (Yes, I got that worked out. Well, the selling dealership worked it out without telling me why it wouldn't work at any other dealership:(

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just picked up a 2017 that had 1,100 miles on it and drove it home to St. Augustine, FL from New Jersey. The van was flawless on the ride home. A couple of days ago I noticed that the HVAC blower fan stays on with the van off and the key out of the ignition. Whatever the fan speed dial is set at when you shut off the van is how fast it blows. It doesn't have dual zone automatic climate control so I don't believe it has the function that will turn on the blower fan for 30 min. to circulate air. I've taken to making sure the dial is set to 0 before I shut the van off because the fan will just continue to blow. I let the fan blow for about 2 hours the other day. I checked on it every 15 min. and it never shut off for the entire 2 hours. Has anyone else experienced this. Could this be a bad blower motor or regulator or some climate control software issue? It's going to the dealer for this but that's a chore in of itself (either 40 minutes north to Jacksonville or 60 minutes south to Daytona). I was hoping to have some info to help their tech diagnose the problem if they hadn't run across it before.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just picked up a 2017 that had 1,100 miles on it and drove it home to St. Augustine, FL from New Jersey. The van was flawless on the ride home. A couple of days ago I noticed that the HVAC blower fan stays on with the van off and the key out of the ignition. Whatever the fan speed dial is set at when you shut off the van is how fast it blows. It doesn't have dual zone automatic climate control so I don't believe it has the function that will turn on the blower fan for 30 min. to circulate air. I've taken to making sure the dial is set to 0 before I shut the van off because the fan will just continue to blow. I let the fan blow for about 2 hours the other day. I checked on it every 15 min. and it never shut off for the entire 2 hours. Has anyone else experienced this. Could this be a bad blower motor or regulator or some climate control software issue? It's going to the dealer for this but that's a chore in of itself (either 40 minutes north to Jacksonville or 60 minutes south to Daytona). I was hoping to have some info to help their tech diagnose the problem if they hadn't run across it before.
You have a faulty blower motor resistor. Same problem has been happening to a few others over on the Srinter Source forums.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just had my 2017 at the dealer to have both fog lamp assemblies replaced under warranty. Both of them had a milky/swirly haze on the inside of the lenses. Sorry, I didn't take any pics of them but it was really noticeable.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm semi hesitant to create this thread because I don't want to create hysteria but I did want to spread what I've seen so far:

Blank instrument cluster. Resulted in removing the cluster and doing a hard reset. All good. roughly 40 miles or so

Coolant hose at overflow bottle loose. Coolant low light on. Could have snapped it back in, we replaced it for good measure. Topped coolant. Shipped

Various CEL for gross evap leak. There's a hose on the driver side under some stuff (I honestly don't know exactly where it is). Just needed reattaching. Cleared codes and shipped.

Mine: Third row seat squeak. It was trying to tell me to go postal. We lined the latches with felt tape instead. The voices from the van went away.

Blind spot Assist inop (Also on mine): Connected SDS, cleared codes. I've put 20 or so miles since. All good.

Read about heat shields on a cargo loose. Retightened at dealer. All good.

Feel free to add any topics that come up.
Is there an easy fix for the exhaust rattle in the 2017 Passenger? Seems to get going around 1800 RPM, over a band of perhaps 200 RMP. Sounds to me like the hanger issue that has been mentioned allowing the exhaust to make direct contact with the body. I have not seen mention of a fix on this forum. When I mentioned the issue to dealer, dealer claimed noise came from cracked fairing underneath - a part that they did not have in stock at the time I visited dealer. I have not yet seen which fairing they might be talking about....

·
Registered
7 Posts
its been a couple of years, and van is still plagued with serious issues. Passenger seat airbag warnings of it being enabled and disabled being opposite of reality - or warning pops up after driving for miles, power sliding door inop from key and dash button, collision assist alerts while stopped and not moving, van was running without key and wouldnt turn off, alignment wrong from factory and ate my tires, rear camera inop, rear park assist inop, rear sensors inop, a/c not cooling, a/c recirculate inop, a/c stops cooling sporadically, horrible moldy smell like rotten armpits comes from a/c, rear blower stuck on a speed and doesnt change with controller, middle bench folding seat not latching, driver door speaker blowing, driver lock switch inop, interior switch peeling, hood pin switch error, low coolant warnings, low brake fluid warning, fuel leak, tpms, losing power (but motor running) on freeway, failure to start, wont shift from park, bangs into drive from park or reverse, blind spot inop, plus it died on the freeway when being diagnosed for another issue according to dealership. Few more issues not included in the list. Mercedes been fighting me on lemon case for over a year. Bought this van thinking it would be something amazing and outstanding service from MBUSA, and I get the feeling like i really bought PT Cruiser - just a dressed up dodge neon!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine has eaten two turbos, a transmission, an alternator, water pump, transmission control plate(2nd one), power door motor and control unit, gauge cluster.

I think I have the highest mileage one in the US though.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Mine has eaten two turbos, a transmission, an alternator, water pump, transmission control plate(2nd one), power door motor and control unit, gauge cluster.

I think I have the highest mileage one in the US though.
View attachment 17644
WOW!

If you got your van on the date you joined you're driving around 260 miles everyday, including weekend, and if not much traffic at ~65 mph you're in the van for at least 4 hours/day. That's tough to beat.

Edit: math wrong 340 miles/day, ~6 hours everyday.

·
Registered
361 Posts
If thats all harsh city miles the tranny and turbos are understandable as thats a lot of wear cycles. Are the miles city or freeway mostly? Considering 400k miles+ its really not that bad.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
This van is used for 600 mile day trips that are mostly highway.

Bought it brand new in December 2015.

Tough to say when the first turbo went out because it is a gradual process of the turbo vanes losing diameter.

It also has eaten injectors.

It has been in the shop so much since 150,000 miles trying to figure out running issues that I've forgotten mileages and timelines for repairs.

As of now the shop says it needs a new transmission control plate(shifting issues and errors) and oil pressure sending unit.

After those are done it will probably need another turbo as well. It doesn't build boost so I just use it for local low speed errand running.

Would love to find a shop that could fix it. Even the dealer was worthless to figure out what is wrong with it.

Followed the service schedule on the computer which has been every 15,000 miles for A and B services. So 15,000 mile oil changes.

Edit: transmission was in the high 200k mile range.

·
Registered
471 Posts
This van is used for 600 mile day trips that are mostly highway.

Bought it brand new in December 2015.

Tough to say when the first turbo went out because it is a gradual process of the turbo vanes losing diameter.

It also has eaten injectors.

It has been in the shop so much since 150,000 miles trying to figure out running issues that I've forgotten mileages and timelines for repairs.

As of now the shop says it needs a new transmission control plate(shifting issues and errors) and oil pressure sending unit.

After those are done it will probably need another turbo as well. It doesn't build boost so I just use it for local low speed errand running.

Would love to find a shop that could fix it. Even the dealer was worthless to figure out what is wrong with it.

Followed the service schedule on the computer which has been every 15,000 miles for A and B services. So 15,000 mile oil changes.

Edit: transmission was in the high 200k mile range.
You are one loyal individual. I mighta put Phantom 135 down after the first turbo . . . . OTOH, I can hear myself, "But the bottom end is still rock solid . . . !" Anyway, ouch and congratulations!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Chillis, what are you hauling? Those kind of miles are like over the road truck miles. Also, how heavy are the loads? Thanks.
I hope Chillis comes back and answer this. I'm glad many are way out front with their 2016 Cargo Vans miles...it's almost like 'seeing the future'. Definitely would like to know what kind of weight he's hauling on average.

My other question to Chillis is: Are you just doing oil changes every 15k miles and ignoring the computer warning that maybe preceeds the owner interval?

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
It is my understanding that the system signals an oil change based on one of three fixed intervals: engine hours (I don’t know this interval, but I know the car internally records it- there is a procedure for accessing that data), miles (15k), and time (12 months). When you exceed any of the three intervals, it signals the next appropriate service. I might be mistaken, but I don’t think so.

Given Chillis’s logical Potential applications, I would guess that it only signals on miles because this would always be the interval he exceeeds. Also given his application, he could probably comfortably go further than 15k miles on it. With fully synthetic oil and long-life filters, the real reason for service at 15k miles is to ensure component inspections and other maintenance be performed, although 15k is a good time for changing the oil as well.

·
Registered
471 Posts
My first (and only so far) Service A light came on at about 8,000 miles on the anniversary of the "PFD Removed" entry about 2.5 months after arrival in Ladson and, three months before I actually took delivery. I got to watch the slow motion horror of my 11.5 month order lag via the dealer's screen prints month to month.

·
Registered
8 Posts
At 46,000 miles my 2017 passenger had bad front lower ball joints and had to be replaced. Anyone else had issue with ball joints?

81 - 100 of 102 Posts