Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
It effects the nature of a bunch of things, actually, from how the emission control systems start up to how the climate control system reacts. These cars are a complex maze of dozens of sensors and they all interact. Mercedes have had an exterior temp display for a long time- I think since at least the 1980 W126 platform- but in this instance it’s display is really just an easy convenience of a mandatory part of the vehicles Computersystem.

BTW: when I say climate control, I’m referring to both Tempmatic semi-auto that is standard, and the Climatronic dual zone full auto that is an option.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Ok, got my letter today. I misunderstood. I thought it was a OAT, outside air temp, stand-alone sensor. So I assume it sends to the ecu, probably works in conjunction with MAF, which is not a maf on these. Too many recalls on this thing...this is three so far. That's BS....and I'm 10 miles from S.Charlotte mercedes.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, got my letter today. I misunderstood. I thought it was a OAT, outside air temp, stand-alone sensor. So I assume it sends to the ecu, probably works in conjunction with MAF, which is not a maf on these. Too many recalls on this thing...this is three so far. That's BS....and I'm 10 miles from S.Charlotte mercedes.
I guess you didn’t read my attached letter LOL.

BTW, I remember there was a recall letter for the cover of the battery that until now I have no idea where it is, what was the third recall I couldn’t remember?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Well, I sort of half azz did while I was on a CC. Lol. The two others I received was a fuel line change and transmission carrier mount bolts.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I got the passenger seat battery cover letter which I am sure the dealer will ignore due to my seat swivels when I get the B service done next week. I'm still under 17,000 miles, so I half expect a fight over the transmission service, especially because my first A & B were throw-in incentives. If they pull that, I tell them I'll pay for an A and they can do the free B service when I'm closer to 30,000. What do you think?

Reactions: imacd

·
Registered
360 Posts
I wouldn't change trans fluid with low miles. I think 45,000 is too soon. My fluid at 45k looked as clean as the new fluid. I changed my bmw fluid around 175,000 miles the first time. It looked decent. Keep in mind these transmissions are much different than the old ones...one think that helps us the power is retarded for a split second when it shifts. That keeps wear way down...and longevity way up.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I wouldn't change trans fluid with low miles. I think 45,000 is too soon. My fluid at 45k looked as clean as the new fluid. I changed my bmw fluid around 175,000 miles the first time. It looked decent. Keep in mind these transmissions are much different than the old ones...one think that helps us the power is retarded for a split second when it shifts. That keeps wear way down...and longevity way up.
You mean you'd go past 30k miles on Service B? I have assumed that the "early" trans flush is a retro move to the days when we flushed engine oil and trans fluid in a thousand or 1,500 miles to get rid of manufacturing crud. I'd rather get it done early than not at all.

Reactions: Walstib

·
Registered
401 Posts
I got that letter too.....and I looked up the outside temp sensor part. I am pretty sure it was less than $50. woohoo.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I got that letter too.....and I looked up the outside temp sensor part. I am pretty sure it was less than $50. woohoo.
Sorry to revive a dead thread -- but I just read the letter and they extended the warranty on the ECM software. That's like saying in 5 years they won't send you updates. Thanks for nuthin' They pay for the sensor (only) if you had it replaced prior at your own expense.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,453 Posts
This appears to impact only 2016 models. Not knowing the details maybe what they are saying is that the software was causing the problems and not the actual sensor. In other words maybe the software was saying there was a sensor problem and people were replacing the sensor and didn't really need to replace it. So MB would pay you for that? Who knows. MB covering a service visit to update the software seems legit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts