Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks! looking at getting a metris weekender, but was looking for some info:

1. anyone know pros/cons of Reimo vs. SCA pop tops?
2. how much of the warranty do you void when you do the conversion? will MB still fix issues under warranty?
3. I assume PeaceVans is the only place if you want the whole thing fully under warranty from MB?
4. Is there a list somewhere of all the companies doing metris conversion? So far I've found: Sportsmobile, santa cruz, brovan, caravan outfitters, peacevans...have to assume there are others

Thanks!!

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
Generally MB will honor the warranty unless they can reasonably tie the problem into the modification; example: electrical short tied to water ingress due to the pop top being improperly sealed, rust around the area where the pop top is installed, that sort of thing.

A blown turbo is a warranty repair, unless somehow the pop top caused the turbo to blow.

·
Registered
90 Posts
GTRV in Sebastopol, CA has been doing Metris conversions from the beginning. I have a 2016. Other factors being equal, I would chose the pop-top that has an opening that is cut closest to the outside edge of the original roof. I've had a Sportsmobile (Ford van) that was cut in leaving about 4-inches or more on each side of the original roof and it gives a claustrophobic dimension when the top is popped up. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
GTRV in Sebastopol, CA has been doing Metris conversions from the beginning. I have a 2016. Other factors being equal, I would chose the pop-top that has an opening that is cut closest to the outside edge of the original roof. I've had a Sportsmobile (Ford van) that was cut in leaving about 4-inches or more on each side of the original roof and it gives a claustrophobic dimension when the top is popped up. I hope this helps.
Would you say your GYTV metris top is roomier than your sports mobile for top was? I'm thinking about making that change.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
There's definitely differences across all three tops that we know of. We've seen them all and seen them installed by multiple upfitters. Honestly, it's a bit of caveat emptor with the tops. Even across upfitters - how they are installed, prepped, primed, painted makes a huge difference that's only now showing up with probably 200+ tops installed in the US. We had to do a huge round of additional crash testing and modification (I own Peace Vans) for the SCA tops which we install and had to make modifications to meet Mercedes very high bar. Also, having done over 100 tops now, we can say, with confidence, that many of the tops (SCA) have imperfections and issues which we take the time to treat and repair if necessary. We've seen tops installed by folks who haven't know to look deeply and it's an issue after a year.

If possible, I'd try to see each one in person. Super hard to do - for sure. But they all are a bit different in terms of finish, feel and features. Also, I would pay attention to how it's finished once the top is installed. It's super tricky to get true OEM look and feel.

From a warranty perspective, GreenMedallion is right - unless the dealer wants to be a total jerk, they can't deny a drivetrain warranty because you have a pop top. In fact, our legal understanding is that they can't. With that said, the only Mercedes warratined upfit will be our Weekender (now renamed Getaway) product available for order soon from most commercial dealers. This might or might not matter for things like resale.

Happy to provide more perspective if you want. I try to only chime in on threads where Peace Vans is mentioned or I have something to offer. Having built over 100 by now, we know a lot and are happy to share it.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Thanks for giving us some real info! Does Peace Vans (or SCA) plan to offer a conversion off of the 135" WB? I've opted down in terms of my conversion for lack of a pop-top of reliable quality.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The dealer made noises when I took it in trying to blame upfitter for failure of backup camera and lane assist functions. After over 10k miles it was not likely the upfittrrs fault and it was fixed under warranty. Upfitter was GTRV and I can report zero problems with poptop. The upper berth is easy to remove leaving a nice shelf for storage of lightweight items (blankets etc.) And holding luggage while top is up.Other tops not the same -- very important with the limited space available in the Metris. The whole crashtest thing seems bogus to me. The vehicle is likely totalled at anything over 15-20 mph. If a tree falls on it you don't want to be sleeping in any upper berth FTM.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The dealer made noises when I took it in trying to blame upfitter for failure of backup camera and lane assist functions. After over 10k miles it was not likely the upfittrrs fault and it was fixed under warranty. Upfitter was GTRV and I can report zero problems with poptop. The upper berth is easy to remove leaving a nice shelf for storage of lightweight items (blankets etc.) And holding luggage while top is up.Other tops not the same -- very important with the limited space available in the Metris. The whole crashtest thing seems bogus to me. The vehicle is likely totalled at anything over 15-20 mph. If a tree falls on it you don't want to be sleeping in any upper berth FTM.
HAving spent four years working on homolagation of these tops, and 12 months in the bowels of engineering and safety reviews, I agree - it's not a safety issue at the end of the day - at least for the Reimo and SCA tops; I have not seen the process of engineering nor installation of a GTRV top. But, my understaning is there is a huge issue around liability both for the original upfitter and edge cases around a legal doctrine of liabitlity survivorship if you sell a modified vehicle downstream and it does not have documented adherence to all relevant FMVSS standards at a minimum. If the upfitter had minimal resources to go after or is willing to assume the liabiilty from a business risk perspective, it's 100% their right to do so. Particularly after "first titling". Things are a bit different if the vehicle hasn't been titled yet. Really, it's all about personal and corporate risk management, and - to your point - less about actual safety. Litigation reigns and they will find their way to the deepest and uprotected pockets eventually.

...with that said, the rear seat is a completely different issue in these conversions. I genuinely believe some of the rear seats I've seen in some covenrsions are not something I'd put my daughter in....and I put my daughter in a 40 year VW with a lap belt a lot. It's not just the seat, but also the installation and the integrity of the installation process.

Reactions: ChrisP

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for giving us some real info! Does Peace Vans (or SCA) plan to offer a conversion off of the 135" WB? I've opted down in terms of my conversion for lack of a pop-top of reliable quality.
I Can only speak for PV. We are at the mercy of SCA and they have no plans for 135" top. It'd be at least a year if they did and then we made the modifications. Manufacturing a pop top that is going to last 20+ years and is engineered that way is no small feat. SCA is a division of C.F. Meier and has very deep roots in this sort of manufacturing. They also have a history of making pop tops for the VW

·
Registered
50 Posts
GTRV does 135s and 135s are only cargo vans. I can imagine roof integrity is important in a rollover situation so testing for that would be a good thing.

·
Registered
90 Posts
"Would you say your GYTV metris top is roomier than your sports mobile for top was? I'm thinking about making that change?"

To answer your question, Jamesc, I do like the GTRV top better than the Sportsmobile top. It seems roomier where it counts: just behind the front seats where the sink and fridge are. However, check with GTRV, I think they have changed their top vendor since 2016.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for this! I didn't realize there were actually three top vendors. really helpful on the warranty point too. Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've wondered if the tops are different or just rebadged from the same manufacturer. They all look very similar.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They are definitely different. the Reimo poptop has squared off windows, the SCA ones are rounded half circles. I'm sure there are other differences too, but those are the obvious ones from the pictures

·
Registered
28 Posts
Having seen and touched all three, they absolutely are different as is the install quality/process across different upfitters using the same top.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts