Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been getting an intermittent warning symbol. In the center of the dashboard the digital area, a red silhouette of the van appears, but goes away within a second. When this happens, there is an audible chime, and the radio mutes briefly. What is it?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no idea what it is. It isn't one of the standard symbols, and it's only there for a second. Very intermittent.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I also experience this issue occasionally....twice now.

I can narrow it down to when it has been raining for a couple of days and I suspect that there is a moisture build up in the door frames. In these wet circumstances, it is fine in a straight and level line, but when I take a corner which has a change in level, such as turning right into an uphill street, I get a chime and a flash of red in the instrument cluster. My thoughts are that it has something to do with a torsional twist in the body, as slight as that may be, causing a contact issue in the door electronics.

Next time I clean the van it's gone, until we get extended rain which is what we are currently experiencing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After talking to my dealer it seems to be a door contact issue. The car thinks a door is open while driving is the red warning light. I took a pencil eraser and cleaned the contacts on the sliding side door, they were dirty but seemed to look ok, but much brighter after cleaning. I have not had the warning light since, so far.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also have this everytime it rains. the main issue is that it doesn't really goes away for several days after the last rain.
It is also annoying and distracting.

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
366 Posts
... so there has to be moisture retained somewhere near a circuit, maybe line inside the door or contact point.

Off topic, but it gave me a flashback to something that happened nearly 30 years ago. I had a new car that exhibited paint bubbles due to failed priming or who knows what at the factory. It started to blister when it was a year old, ... and long story short got dis-assembled and repainted. Months later, I thought I heard a sloshing sound when coming to a stop at traffic lights with the radio off. And it was repeatable. ... Took it back to the dealer where it was discovered that drain holes in the bottom of the doors were taped shut. Fortunately it did not effect any electronics, speakers, switches, ... but it prompted me to learn that there's water the enters doors and trunk lids, and is supposed to drain out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm taking mine into the dealer for this issue, it's out of control on mine. It's a door sensor that's gone nuts, mine pings on every bump and every turn. Luckily they agreed that it's a warranty issue (only 2 years & 20,000 miles on mine)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm having this problem with the rear door, slamming it harder used to help, today the alarm for the rear door went off thousands of times. Ugh. It was raining, so moisture could also be involved.
I looked at the door latch at the base, nothing obviously electrical appeared to me. Dealer fix only? Postal van used in the country.

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
366 Posts
I wonder what it is about the right cargo bay door?
Unless I close that door pretty hard, my van will alarm that the door is open.
Closing it like you'd close a normal door, 100% guaranteed I have to jump back out of the van and slam it.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
German cars generally require a good slam to close doors, largely relating to the relatively airtight nature of their construction. To my remembrance the Metris has a flapper valve to assist with this; it is possible yours is gummy @icerabbit. Sometime, open the drivers window, sit there, and have someone else close the door. It will blow your mind.

The above is not the reason you are getting the door open notification if you are slamming it good; it’s probably a bad or misaligned door close sensor. Probably dealer, yes.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I wonder what it is about the right cargo bay door?
Unless I close that door pretty hard, my van will alarm that the door is open.
Closing it like you'd close a normal door, 100% guaranteed I have to jump back out of the van and slam it.
I have the lift-gate and it needs a good slam if all the doors and windows are open, I think the seal on the van is so tight that the air inside doesn't have anywhere to go. I've gotten in the habit of leaving the sliding door open until the rear gate has been shut.

Back on the main subject: my sliding door sensor was completely replaced under warranty, no more random pinging!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts