Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking at a Metris that has what I want ...except....it has the basic AM/FM radio, and I would like something like the AM/FM/CD changer I have in my GL 450. How hard would it be to pull out the old one and install what I want? Is this audio set up the W164, W201 or W203 variant? Sorry if the question(s) are dumb....I’m not THAT handy, but looking for help getting started to do this myself, if possible. Thank you!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I’m looking at a Metris that has what I want ...except....it has the basic AM/FM radio, and I would like something like the AM/FM/CD changer I have in my GL 450.
If you want to play music from removable media, note that the stock radio does have an SD card slot. For what it's worth.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Um, yes...I know about the presence of the SD card slot. I specifically am looking for help in swapping the existing AM/FM radio for an audio variant with a CD changer.

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
280 Posts
So I had been using a "walkman" (which I use for our parade float) in the auxiliary which sounded pretty good, but a bit messy to use and ridiculously complicated to edit. So I got a Sirius FM radio so I could follow CBC programming as I travel (and also the oldies channels). Took two days to activate and the sound is lousy. If I switch back and forth between Sirius and FM (same program) Sirius is much fainter and tinny sounding - but I can hear it anywhere. Today I loaded ~900 tunes on an SD card - a bit of everything. Good sound, easy to use.

·
Registered
86 Posts
While the stock radio reception is garbage, it is not the head unit that is bad, it is the antenna. Changing to a different am/fm unit is most likely not going to improve your radio experience from the stock one. I may put another antenna on mine, the one in the window just does not cut it here, too many trees, mountains, and hills.

This is my only vehicle newer than 94, and though i had seen the aux port and the SD card slot i still lamented CD because that is what i have always used, and use in my shop, etc. ...Then i tried dumping stuff on a card, and well I can have a whole library in the van without having something that the inevitably will be sandblasted, dropped while fumbling etc... I mean i knew that this was possible and an advantage, it was just not something i had done before, and i guess i am slow.
There is a certain comfort of going through vinyl cases, or cd jewel cases and picking out an album to sit down and listen to, I get that, but I'll do that at home when i can focus on it, and not while i am driving.

I do not use a cell phone, but my relatives that borrowed the van hooked it up to their phones via bluetooth for music, etc...

I don't know how many cds you have, but sitting and ripping your songs off their disks onto a computer, and put them on and SD card will probably take less time than figuring out and putting in a new head unit. It will also save you the time of looking for, and monetary cost of a new head unit. This conversation prompted me to rip more from cds that i had not gotten too yet while i am sitting here. I assume that you have a computer. Set like 3 cds by the computer and copy them to disk and move them gradually over to an SD, or a few SDs... I just did some Charles Mingus, Taj Mahal, and some Johnny winter and it took about 30 seconds per song i would say.

From the SD card, the stock stereo sounds really pretty darn good for a stock stereo. I was surprised.

I know, not what you were asking, but yea I was thinking along the same lines as you and then... realized maybe the new tech might work out, and in this case it did.

I was going to put a cd deck in my 80 series landcruiser, but am looking for an sd option now as it worked so well.

Some metris's may have more deadening in them, but mine would need something more in it if i wanted a lot of bass and did not want the whole van to resonate with it...

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Mercedes, historically, was not big on in-Dash CD stuff. They didn’t offer one until the 2000 S-class and the E-class didn’t get one until 2003. My 2005 ML had an Dash cassette player and a rear mounted 6 disc changer even.

I don’t know if they ever offered a main face plate integrated In-Dash CD changer ever. There was a unit- possibly several units- that would fit in a Sprinter/Metris fascia (they are the same) with single CD slots, not sure if they even offer MP3 capability though. Your best bet would probably be a Chinese made Android touch screen unit that attempts to look like a MB factory unit. But I think those are... less than quality pieces.

We’re it my choice i would stick to the Audio 15 or upgrade (if possible) to the 2020 Audio 40, and learn to live with the death of CDs. But the above are your options. Of course you can also install a double DIN plate and get a double DIN after market unit- the Audio 15 is a double din backend with an expanded faceplate.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Speaking of Audio40, Pioneer has a replacement Vito HU in Europe called AUDIO40. Have not seen any list on Pioneer US site, though.

·
Registered
624 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts