Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at some 5-spoke Jetta wheels.....diameter/width/bolt pattern/offset are correct to fit the Metris, so all I have to do is have a machine shop bore the center out a few mm? I'd prefer the 5-spoke MB wheels that I guess came on some of the Metris passenger vans but the price difference is significant. Not concerned about loading and weight since all the stuff I'll ever haul will total less than #1500.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I would still be concerned about weight and loading since the Metris sitting completely empty weighs roughly 1,500lbs more than a Jetta....it also will impact what rating of tires you can install on those rims. Technically the metris is supposed to have "light truck" weight category tires installed. Not to mention boring out a wheel completely changes the properties/structure of the wheel. Alloy wheels are under metallurgical tension, not something to mess around with. A reputable machine shop would likely refuse to modify wheels, huge liability there.

The metris also has one size larger lug bolts than most German sedans do, so the bolt holes and seat would likely be the wrong size too.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
Using those wheels would be invariably dangerous. A Jetta weighs around 1.5 tons and maybe has a GVWR of 2 tons. The Metris empty weighs about 2.1 tons (cargo) or 2.4 tons (passenger), and has a GVWR of 3.35 tons. Those wheels without any modification would almost certainly be inadequate; boring out the casting at all would make them dangerous.

The Metris is a commercial truck, not a car. The Metris is bigger and has more GVW than a Mercedes S65 AMG. I know it drives and handles like a much smaller vehicle, but the Metris is not a car. It is not a minivan- it is substantially bigger (mostly taller, but also volumetrically wider and longer) than any minivan. It is built for work. If you want wheels, look at other large vehicles- Mercedes GLS might work- or wheels specifically designed for Metris.

Would you want to take your Metris wheels, bore out the lugs to accommodate a six lug pattern, and put it on a Sprinter 4500 box truck? Of course not. That is sort of what you are proposing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any reason to question the structural adequacy of the OE MB 5-spoke wheels from the '18 Metris passenger van?

·
Registered
401 Posts
No, the passenger and cargo vans have the same spec wheels, whether steel or alloy. They'd be fine. The GVWR of both vans is the same, the passenger one is just rated slightly less payload due to the weight of the seats/interior trimmings.

Wheels from a ML/GL or GLS or GLE would likely also be fine as those are similar weight class. S-class would also probably suffice. Only if they can be mounted without modifications like spacers however.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts