Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

My 1975 Beetle broke down last week with an electrical issue. The Patrolman was unable to remedy the situation and I thought I would have to wait for a tow vehicle to show up. Not necessary. Open the tailgate, press a few buttons and a tow unit unfolds from the rear quarter of the van. Not sure what the weight limitations are, probably small and medium size, Dodge Rams need not apply. Vito details are 114 SWB automatic,

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
Folding two balls are fairly common in Europe, not just on vans but for example I believe it is a factory option on the Golf.

They don’t work in North America for a huge variety of reasons that mostly have to do with our towing practices. They don’t work in a world where morons tow empty trailers with 60mph rated tires down the left lane of the interstate at 85 mph with the wheels of the thing alternately bouncing off the road, nor where people have no understanding of tongue weight, and couldn’t figure out what the GCW of their rig is if their life depended on it. (Actually hundreds of American lives are lost every year because it kind of does!)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Many modern vehicles cannot be towed that way anymore, so its only somewhat useful to have that type of tow setup, but very cool the way that works. The US seems to prefer much more rudimentary space consuming low-tech solutions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts