Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all,

First I wanted to say hello, and to give a thanks to everyone for creating one of the most polite forums on the web. I've been reading the Metris forum for a while, and I have to say that this group us much more helpful and patient than a lot I've come across. That is one of the reasons I decided to have my company be a vendor on this site in the first place.

Next, I really just want you all to know my shop exists. GTFOverland is a campervan outfitter and retailer, as wall as a systems installer. (Auxiliary battery systems, solar, plumbing, etc...) I won't sit and say that I know everything about the Metris, but I have built out a lot of campervans and Overland rigs, so there's not a whole lot that surprises me anymore.

On another note, I am about a month away from having a new auxiliary battery system for Campervans ready to go. It's designed to be a plug-and-play system, wherein you'd only connect two wires to the engine start battery, and let the battery box do the rest. I'll need to do some testing on the Metris platform specifically to see if it plays nice with the regenerative brake charge system, but my gut feeling is that it will work. I'll keep you all posted. If anyone is interested in such a thing, definitely reach out to me so I can keep you up to date on it.

Thanks again to each of you for making this a positive forum to be on.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Hi there: If your system can be adapted to charge off the auxilliary battery under the Driver's seat I'd be interested in testing and buying. I'm "freeway close" as we native and former Angelenos use to say.

I like the modularity of the Kodiak and similar products, but I bought the aux batt to avoid the Euro6 alternator issues by running a batt to batt charger off the house battery. Another forum member in the Bay Area was working a similar product but I balked at a $4k plus price tag. I figure parts including the LiFePO4 100 ah battery and a Sterling to be between $1500 and $2,000 with top-end parts.

I can PM you my contact info if you're interested in testing on my cargo 135 configuration, with a possible sale if I like it. Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there: If your system can be adapted to charge off the auxilliary battery under the Driver's seat I'd be interested in testing and buying. I'm "freeway close" as we native and former Angelenos use to say.

I like the modularity of the Kodiak and similar products, but I bought the aux batt to avoid the Euro6 alternator issues by running a batt to batt charger off the house battery. Another forum member in the Bay Area was working a similar product but I balked at a $4k plus price tag. I figure parts including the LiFePO4 100 ah battery and a Sterling to be between $1500 and $2,000 with top-end parts.

I can PM you my contact info if you're interested in testing on my cargo 135 configuration, with a possible sale if I like it. Thanks
Yeah shoot me a DM or email the shop and let's chat!

·
Registered
596 Posts
I'm probably the the one with the biggest battery bank here (315Ah total, 210Ah permanent). Over two years of learning how the Metris main battery/alternator real-world charges monitoring with Victron Energy BMV-712, Sterling BB1260, Pronautic AC charger, and Xantrex FreedomX 2000 inverter. As far as the Regen voltages to trigger on and off, Sterling was off on their first version models, the newer updated ones are better. I sent them so info I gathered last year.
I'm interested in a freshwater/graywater/sink system (preferably modular) and solar... I'm up to deciding to keep my '16 126 Cargo or start with a fresh slate and get a new 135 Cargo.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey MOWO, thanks for the reply. I do have a couple questions for you regarding your setup. Did you source a higher output alternator for your setup? I ask because 315Ah is a lot, and if your consumption is pretty high I honestly don't know of a B2B charger that, by itself, would keep up with that capacity.
I personally had some good results with the Sterling Pro Charge, however that was with lower capacity batteries. (100ah Aux) I do know that they are redesigning the Pro Charge however, and fingers crossed it's a good unit.

Regarding solar, the battery box I'll be coming out with will have a dedicated solar input, making the wiring very simple. I feel that a good-quality solar controller actually performs better than most B2B chargers and vehicle charge systems, plus the data you can collect from them. In your case, using the BMV-712, you'd get some really good info out of your system when paired with a Victron Solar Charge Controller.

I did design a freshwater/grey water modular system on my last van build. (Not a Metris, but would fit easily.) Essentially it had two, 10gallon tanks stacked, water pump on the back wall, and very simple plumbing. Because I wanted to keep it moveable, I made it so there was a line you'd uncoil to drain the grey, to keep from drilling a hole through the van floor. It worked, but definitely needed some improvement as it would take a long time to drain. The next one I'll use a bigger drain hose, and possibly put the grey water on top so gravity can do a better job of pulling the water down and out. Let me know your thoughts on that type of setup, and how much you think you'd take the unit in/out of the vehicle.

Thanks!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Did you source a higher output alternator for your setup? I ask because 315Ah is a lot, and if your consumption is pretty high I honestly don't know of a B2B charger that, by itself, would keep up with that capacity.
My battery bank is AGM, not LifePo4 (yet). Deka Intimidator rebrands by East Penn. They recommend 15 - 30 amp bulk charge current and the new upgraded BB1260 I recently installed has measured outputs consistently hit 55 - 58 amps cycles off the stock alternator and battery. My older BB1260 only got into the 40s. For 90% of the time the gigs I work on a two-battery bank will power me through fine with a 50% DOD, so thats a healthy 25+ amps per battery when the BB1260 is on charging duty...say on the way back to the office or next job. When I do get back to the office I plug in AC and let the ProCharger take over (I got the 50amp version from the dealer at a good price vs going with their 60amp version). When I run a three-battery bank that's still a decent 15-18 amps bulk charge current on the road and I pull it once back at the office and put batt 3 on a separate Odyssey OBC-20A Portable Charger.

I made it so there was a line you'd uncoil to drain the grey, to keep from drilling a hole through the van floor. It worked, but definitely needed some improvement as it would take a long time to drain. The next one I'll use a bigger drain hose, and possibly put the grey water on top so gravity can do a better job of pulling the water down and out.
I like the idea of not having to drill a hole for the drain and great idea putting the grey tank on top. I think having something either lightweight or assemble/disassemble in two parts such as a top half and lower half would bode well to a modular system that you can put in and take out with relative ease. Definitely a sink with the lid that closes over it so you have some table space when not in use.

Reactions: GTFO

·
Registered
85 Posts
Nice job on that battery box product.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts