Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passenger
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Make a post in the thread if you are interested

I've had an interaction with Christian at Vanable in Germany about the potential to do a group buy on bed frames for the Metris. We don't have any pricing yet, but the general idea is to pallet up and ship maybe 10 units without mattress.

Personally, I want this setup because I have Vito seats and with this bed I can have the seat under the bed platform when deployed. If you have this kind of Setup from MetrisSeats.com you may also have some interest.

If you want a bed in your van sometimes and still want to carry a lot of gear this is also a great approach. It breaks down and is removable.

I'm including a pic of the van with a bed slide. The slide is not part of the group buy, but included to give you and idea on a setup that can pack a lot of gear and and still be very accessible.

Car Plant Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Motor vehicle Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle

Cloud Tire Sky Wheel Land vehicle

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passenger
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Q: Will this work with factory seats?
A: Only if you remove them from the van.

Q:Can this work with a cargo van?
A: Yes, as long as you can provide tie downs.

Q: Can I get a custom RAL color for the frame? I want Kermit green.
A: Undetermined. It's not easy being green. The likely color is black to keep it simple.

Q: Can I have this bed AND put bikes in the back when driving?
A: Yes. You can remove the rear cross bar and the bed slats are not fixed.

Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel Wheel Bicycle frame

Q: I can make this with 80/20, old Amazon boxes and milk crates. Why would I want to cash in my crypto for a bed frame from Germany?
A: A lot to unpack there. Its not for everyone, but I'm hoping for 10 or so like minded buyers that see the value.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The orange frame really pops and looks fantastic! I don't think this is for me as I need to optimize for transporting sports equipment and have a more narrow bed. Awesome solution though, and I hope there is enough interest.

That drawer slide looks great too (even though it's not part of the group buy). Will need to review more carefully once I get to make my own slide out.

Good luck with the group purchase!

·
Registered
1,350 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passenger
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good idea @pounce. I have my own little set-up for sleep, but that full width 60cm slide out is good too at €739 if you have the floor "airline" rails.
A person with a Metris passenger could also mount it with the stock rails.

One of these slides should not be hard to build. The full extension slides with lock out and in aren't cheap. They are mounting the interior tray to the slide and then just the side to L brackets to the rails. Easy.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
A person with a Metris passenger could also mount it with the stock rails.

One of these slides should not be hard to build. The full extension slides with lock out and in aren't cheap. They are mounting the interior tray to the slide and then just the side to L brackets to the rails. Easy.
Sorry about the sidetrack . . .

Yes to building something! I've looked at locking high capacity slides in the context of "permanently" mounting the ICECO, but I hadn't thought of a full-width tray like Vanable's. That's what caught my eye. The problem for me with a slider solution (without the floor rails) is fixing the slider and Vanable's 180 kg of cargo to the van without drilling a bunch of holes (though I'm thinking I could pirate the rear most 4 D-ring anchoring points). 400# of capacity sounds insufficient compared to the van's load capacity, but as I add up my rear lower floor dispersed camping load (14 gallons of water, stupidly heavy dig-or tow-your-way-out off-road gear, fridge, etc.), I think it could work with a little care in loading the contraption.

Good luck on your bed order -- it seems like a great option.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
You can get a bed slide with more capacity if you want it. The slide cost is the consideration. Accuride is the best brand up to 600lb.
Thanks for the tip on Accuride. Buying slides cold off Amazon would be a pain. And as you mentioned, like Vanable, double or even multiple locking points are essential for convenience and safety IMHO.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passenger
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the tip on Accuride. Buying slides cold off Amazon would be a pain. And as you mentioned, like Vanable, double or even multiple locking points are essential for convenience and safety IMHO.
Lots of cheaper slides on Amazon. Buy once cry once. I'd rather not have a slide jam on vacation.

Lockouts are essential in a vehicle since you are likely going to be out of level most of the time.

·
Registered
248 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passenger
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just used one of these:
I removed my seats so may not work for all.
Sure, this is also available in an 18" high frame for those without the need for seats and want a little more gear height. Ikea beds also work. Lots of choices out there.

The obvious and subtle advantage of a solution like the Vanable bed:

• Vito seats can remain in the van. In fact you can have an 8 passenger setup and still use the bed over the folding seats. Several of us have these seats.
  • It's tall so you can get a fair amount of gear under it.
  • You can use the seats with the main bed structure constructed.
  • You can have bikes in the back when the bed isn't deployed
  • The whole frame and slats pack up to a reasonably tidy size
  • It's designed to maximize the width so you might get more mattress in the bed than some other solutions.
For my family this makes sense because we have a poptop and Vito seats.We get a 4 person sleeping setup and still manage to clear the cabin of everything easily when needed to move large items etc.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts