Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Have followed this forum for a little while so thought it was time to post my build, which is maybe a little different to what most people do with these vans. My starting point was a 2016 Vito Crew Cab (I'm in Aus) which had the rear seats installed but not much else. The idea was to keep the van flexible, but add some comfort and make it more suitable for family trips and camping. We do a lot of mountainbiking. This set up gives us the ability to have 2 or 3 bikes in the van (fork mounts on L-track) or 4 bikes on thhe hitch mount bike rack outside + loads of gear inside the van. For camping I have a roof top tent for the kids and and 2 tubular bunks that clips onto the L-tracks when in use, and can be stored up in the roof and out of the way. So far what I have done is:
2nd battery install with charging from solar panel + main battery
Amp + rear speakers
Interior lighting + usb ports + 12v outlets
Lightbar (built into solar panel mount)
Side awning
Insulation + plywood + carpet lining
Vinyl floor with recessed L-tracks
2 x L tracks each rear wall
Fiamma hatch with fan

Still to do:
Lift kit
All Terrain tires
Removable kitchen unit with fridge for camping (again attaching to L-tracks)

Here's a few pictures of where I'm up to so far:

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
I like what you did with your van. Are the tracks and bunks your design? How do the bunks "clip" into the tracks?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
557 Posts
The bunks are brilliant. Can you show us some more detail photos please? Ditto jamesc -- are those your fab or off-the-shelf bunks?

And welcome to at least one place in the U.S. that isn't crazy right now -- we Yanks you know!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the comments. The tracks are logistics track that you can buy lots of places, and MB even has a factory option for tracks on the floor and halfway up the rear walls. I just bought the generic tracks as they are cheap, readily available and you can get lots of fittings for them. I could use some of the factory holes (M8) but had to redrill the tracks to suit as they have an odd spacing. I also put a few extra rivnuts in the car to make it work. There were no suitable factory holes for the upper tracks, so I put M6 rivnuts in for them matching the standard holes in the track. I don't plan on using those for anything heavy. I also put a short track in the roof, the puupose of this is to have something to strap the bunks to when they are stored. I may also use them for a cargo net partition at some stage.

The bunks are custom made from 40mm x 3mmwt aluminium tubing. I got one company to do the bending, another one to weld them into closed hoops and then I sewed the canvas myself using two layers of Sunbrella fabric. I got the idea when I came across the Next Gen Van from Outside Vans.
Those bunks look a little flimsy to me, but having done lots of sailing I liked the idea(Pipe berths are common in racing yachts). When I started looking into it the layout just worked. I'm resting the front of the bunk on the folded down seat with a small spacer to get the right height(at the moment this is just a book witht he right thickness, but I'll make something better). The mounts onto the L track is a standard L track stud fitting, an eye nut, a strap and a 3D printed spacer to make it sit neatly against the wall. I made my bunks 57cm wide as this makes them fit on either side of the centre seat, and it didn't obstruct the roof hatch I put in. 57cm is on the narrrow side,it works fine for us, but is a compromise to think about. You can go wider, but it means you have less space between the beds. When sleeping we have a self inflating campingmattress on top, and it is very comfortable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi There! My name is Zach and I work with Adventure Van Co. based out in San Fernando, CA. We recently created a 2" coil lift kit specifically tuned for Metris vans with modifications looking for more ground clearance! Check out our page here for more information: Mercedes-Benz Metris 2.

If you have any questions, shoot me an email at: [email protected] and I'd be happy to help!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Hi There! My name is Zach and I work with Adventure Van Co. based out in San Fernando, CA. We recently created a 2" coil lift kit specifically tuned for Metris vans with modifications looking for more ground clearance! Check out our page here for more information: Mercedes-Benz Metris 2.

If you have any questions, shoot me an email at: [email protected] and I'd be happy to help!
Nice looking lift. Can you make/get those insulated curtains for Metris too?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
James and focus 805: I wrote a reply but it seems it needs moderator approval for some reason.

Mputnam: the awning rail(supapeg) is attached to rhinorack bars at the middle and the back. At the forward end I just made a steel L bracket attaching to one roof rack mount

·
Premier Upfits Co. Metrisseats.com
56 Posts
Attention @ Metrisseats.com: the above post is how you plug your product appropriately. Were I looking for what he is offering, I would be seriously examining his offer.
Thank you for the tip.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So a bit more progress over winter, got kitchen unit built and AT tires. Lifting it will be next, got all the parts just got to find the time

1 - 14 of 14 Posts