Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
You mean you haven't taught your dog to drive, yet? I followed Subaru's ads and taught my neighbor's doodle to drive our Forester. I don't know if he can reach the pedals in the Metris. 馃槈

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All I can say to the Postal Workers that have to deliver mail with these things. GOOD LUCK WITH THOSE MIRRORS! Pretty sure they will be getting dented up quickly.

Registered
2019 Passenger
All I can say to the Postal Workers that have to deliver mail with these things. GOOD LUCK WITH THOSE MIRRORS! Pretty sure they will be getting dented up quickly.
Totally agree. Compare mirror setups on a typical USPS truck. I already dislike the mirrors, but if I had to use them to prevent my death every 27 seconds I'd want ugly bolt on mirrors and more than one.

Registered
I'm surprised they didn't get the black steel wheels. Those silver going to chip and peel off easy ...mine look like crap now.

Banned
I'm surprised they didn't get the black steel wheels. Those silver going to chip and peel off easy ...mine look like crap now.
Dunno if you care but the Metris as sold now is available with plastic hubcaps which I bet you could get from some third party source.

Registered
Dunno if you care but the Metris as sold now is available with plastic hubcaps which I bet you could get from some third party source.
GML, I got excited about the wheel covers, but I noticed they are not visible on the MBVANS configurator, so I got curious and found them buried (RD8) in the 2021 DOG, for good reason IMHO. They're butt . . , well, let's just say they show great humility. On the bright side, they do look to be capable brake dust retainers.

On a more serious note, I would love to see a pic of the black steelies if anyone has them. Back to MOWO, I bet the black wheels show wear even worse (though they hide brake dust sort of).

And on the original post, back to where I was when this was announced. I'm not sure the USPS sale is a good thing for the brand. If they hold up with good maintenance, it could be a real long-term reputational plus. Tough sells.

Personally, I like the idea that USPS did the math the same way I did, and decided that Ford produced a possibly superior but definitely substantially more expensive product. The M274 might as well be branded "ecoboost" AFAIAC. GM and FCA were never on my list due to size and irrational fear of poor quality control.

Banned
Based on available statistics, I would say definitively that fear of FCA quality control problems (and genuinely terrible design- and I don鈥檛 mean styling- check out the Fit RVs engine failure on a Travato due to a by-design dishonest engine coolant gauge) is not irrational.

GM, while I could argue about their quality control, it is sort of irrelevant. They don鈥檛 really compete in this market. They play in a separate market who wants smaller, more 鈥渢raditional鈥, simpler V8-powered vans. They don鈥檛 make anything that competes with the Transit Connect sized products (they briefly sold the one size down Nissan NV200 as a Chevy, but it鈥檚 not the same class), they don鈥檛 sell Metris sized vehicles, and they really don鈥檛 sell Sprinter class vehicles either.

The Chevy Express has merits- most of the tech-related expenses that exist on the newer designs are just not applicable to it. But it鈥檚 a less efficient design in every conceivable way. It also is a much more capable towing platform, and it provides competition with the E350/450 cutoff/chassis-cab Business in a way the ProMaster, Sprinter, and Transit simply don鈥檛. And when it comes to refinement, it鈥檚 not so much that it鈥檚 in a different ballpark; it鈥檚 on another planet, playing a different game. Which really applies to the entire product.

Registered
Personally, I like the idea that USPS did the math the same way I did, and decided that Ford produced a possibly superior but definitely substantially more expensive product. The M274 might as well be branded "ecoboost" AFAIAC. GM and FCA were never on my list due to size and irrational fear of poor quality control.
I, too, found Ford to be $4000 more for a comparable van.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts