Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Just as I was about to buy a 2020 Metris, I saw the class action lawsuit settlement documenting extensive mold and bacterial HVAC contamination in many Mercedes models. An experienced Mercedes mechanic told me the metris uses the C-Class sedan engine (just tuned differently, but same HVAC).

The deal is that the C Class engines are classified in the lawsuit as being prone to mold and bacterial contamination. And, as much as I love this van I also have very serious mold allergies

Does anyone in this forum know if the engineering defect has been fixed or should I expect the 2020 year model to have the same problems as prior years?

I just drove 5 hours to buy it so this is pretty urgent!

If you know about the mechanics of this I would love to hear from you.

And any leads about how to find out from an independent source beyond local Mercedes dealers would be very welcome.

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
The C-class and Metris use entirely different HVAC ducts. I have heard about this problem, but my van is 4.5 years old, has been parked outside in humid NJ 200 yards from the Delaware River it’s entire life and I’ve never had that problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply and I'm glad things are going well with your van. Do you know how the ducts differ?

·
Registered
939 Posts
As a Mercedes tech, I can answer this.

The Metris has minivan ducts and the C class has sedan ducts.

Happy to help.

Reactions: MOWO

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi everyone,
Just as I was about to buy a 2020 Metris, I saw the class action lawsuit settlement documenting extensive mold and bacterial HVAC contamination in many Mercedes models. An experienced Mercedes mechanic told me the metris uses the C-Class sedan engine (just tuned differently, but same HVAC).

The deal is that the C Class engines are classified in the lawsuit as being prone to mold and bacterial contamination. And, as much as I love this van I also have very serious mold allergies

Does anyone in this forum know if the engineering defect has been fixed or should I expect the 2020 year model to have the same problems as prior years?

I just drove 5 hours to buy it so this is pretty urgent!

If you know about the mechanics of this I would love to hear from you.

And any leads about how to find out from an independent source beyond local Mercedes dealers would be very welcome.

Thank you!
Mine is a 2016 and was made in 2015. We have wet winters here in Eugene, OR and she resides in a carport. No problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The C-class and Metris use entirely different HVAC ducts. I have heard about this problem, but my van is 4.5 years old, has been parked outside in humid NJ 200 yards from the Delaware River it’s entire life and I’ve never had that problem.
Do you know how they Ducks differ?
As a Mercedes tech, I can answer this.

The Metris has minivan ducts and the C class has sedan ducts.

Happy to help.
Thanks so much for your reply. Do you know how the ducts differ? And would the difference be more protective against mold and mildew buildup in the minivan configuration?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you know how they Ducks differ?

Thanks so much for your reply. Do you know how the ducts differ? And would the difference be more protective against mold and mildew buildup in the minivan configuration?
To clarify, do they sit at a different angle or have other flaps or features that help with the inflow pattern that makes it less likely to develop moisture, or condensation when it's not being driven?

I would appreciate your help as I have to decide by tomorrow morning

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Dude they are entirely different because the vents and angles to the rest of the HVAC are entirely different. The likely cause of mold in the duct system would be a design flaw that creates a puddling trap where mold can form around standing moisture. Since the Metris is different in the ducting, there would be no correlation to an entirely different product in this regard.

The Metris passenger model uses two a/c units; the c-class uses one. The only substantive similarity is the model of the control panel, and even so that only applies to cargo vans with auto climate control, be cause the passenger has tri zone when auto climate, and the c-class doesn’t come with the manual control standard on the Metris, and in any case, and now that I actually think of it, I’m not sure the current c-class even uses that particular control panel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2016 Metris. It has the moldy smell coming from the a/c vents. I live in the Florida panhandle.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
All cars can potentially get mold in their A/C system; especially in absurdly humid places like the Panhandle. The Metris is not particularly known for it.

·
Registered
663 Posts
2018 here, no problem. A good habit is to shut down the A/C shortly before parking. Get the drainage going!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts