Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I called two different MB dealers in Charlotte and both said 30,000 miles, based on my 2016 vin. I gave them a vin from a 2018 and the same. I'm at 40k and I don't think it's a big deal, but that's what the dealers are saying.

Lane

·
Registered
869 Posts
It's a big deal. The 'early" transmission service is intended to flush metal particles (and other manufacturing contaminants) before they can turn your ATF into a liquid abrasive that WILL cause accelerated wear in your trans.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I understand. I've worked on and built jet engines, I have a basic understanding of mechanical principles. I was posting because of the previous post about the interval going to 40k and then 45k. I am changing mine today. What's strange is, this a very common MB trans. and in most of the vehicles the initial service is 70k.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It could have to do with commercial type of work these things are made for. For the most part, mine hauls a 227 pound ktm dirt bike....or a 25 pound mountain bike, and a 6 pack of beer. Lo!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well, finished the fluid change. The torque converter held more than thought, the fluid looked very clean, not much darker than new. I bought 9 liters and only had a shot glass left over. I didn't drink it. Lol. They, fcp Euro said I need 8, not correct. Changed engine oil as well. Changing brake fluid tomorrow Love this van!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well, finished the fluid change. The torque converter held more than thought, the fluid looked very clean, not much darker than new. I bought 9 liters and only had a shot glass left over. I didn't drink it. Lol. They, fcp Euro said I need 8, not correct. Changed engine oil as well. Changing brake fluid tomorrow Love this van!
Good stuff, exactly why I joined the forum. Loving the van too, really want to make sure I take good care of it so it can be useful for the next decade plus.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I imagine the earlier interval for the first service is to account for the high load conditions the van is much more likely to face vs their sedans. My GLK which has the same trans, the initial service was 60k. I wasn't sure if it had been done (or done properly) when I bought it, so I had it done again around 70k. Now I am set to about 110k or so. (I am going to follow a 40k interval like was used on the 722.6)

I also follow a 5k oil change on my diesel, and 7k on the metris. It does a lot of very short trips (2 miles) so this is kind of a must.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts