Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dumb question - I have a 135 Cargo, and there is no sound insulation under the hood.

Does the passenger version have it? Does it do anything noticeable?

I saw this on Ali and for $90 it piqued my interest.

Thanks in advance!

Hood Light Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Super Moderator
Metris Cargo 135 2020
936 Posts
My cargo does not have it, and I think neither do our other MB.

I doubt it would do much for my van, besides keeping the engine compartment warmer.
Maybe on Diesel engine models it would be more noticeable?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
$117 at Mercedes right now. My van has the insulation.
Which model van do you have? MBPartsCenter.com has it for $92. Forget saving $7 from Ali.

My guess is that it might quiet the DI clicking. I'm curious whether it is more useful at idle or at highway speeds. I'd buy one if I thought it would add to the quiet highway cruising I've gotten with the butyl, foam and and thinsulate.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Dumb question - I have a 135 Cargo, and there is no sound insulation under the hood.

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 20550
My 2020 126" cargo van has no under hood insulation. There is considerable bracing of the hood though. Way more bracing than I expected.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 20550
I'm also curious what benefit it could possibly have. Make it quieter outside? I have an '18 cargo and I do get significant road noise but not from the engine. I have some thin square foam pads in a few spots inside, so I'd like to line the entire metal interior cargo area with that material. I think that might help a lot more than something under the hood.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 17 has factory under the hood. Like I’ve said before the van is still stupid loud inside. I’d imagine it helps a little so I’d recommend it…anywhere and everywhere you can put insulation I’d do it to try and quite the van down.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My 16 passenger has it. I dont think it adds that much sound insulation... the biggest difference was adding mass loaded vinyl sheets under door panels and floor. I did use butyl sound deadner/foam etc too but having a MLV made the biggest difference. Its like a different car inside. Downside is its very heavy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So, this thread got me researching how to soundproof my cargo van. I found a few products, like Noico, but really I'd love to find the same material that I see in a few locations already in the van from the factory. Anyone have any idea whether that same material can be purchased in bulk? Sorry I'm away from my van at the moment so I can't send photos or get measurements of the existing pads. They are white and seem pretty durable.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, this thread got me researching how to soundproof my cargo van. I found a few products, like Noico, but really I'd love to find the same material that I see in a few locations already in the van from the factory. Anyone have any idea whether that same material can be purchased in bulk? Sorry I'm away from my van at the moment so I can't send photos or get measurements of the existing pads. They are white and seem pretty durable.
If you're referring to the square panels adhered to the van walls, I think there is no discernable difference between that and Noico. The Noico might be a tad denser. The biggest "mistake" I've seen is wasting Noico by coating every panel fully. That might give a little better sound deadening, but the point of the Noico is to disrupt harmonics, and you don't need to cover everything for that.

I used Noico 80 mil. I also used the Noico RED 315 foam on top of the butyl, and on top of bare metal where I had it. Highly recommended - -both sound and thermal insulation. Last, on top, I put a layer of Thinsulate SM600L. So far so good.

What I did not do is carpet line all the interior metal panels. While I know this gives a more finished, residential look, I wanted washable surfaces so I stuck with the factory Con-Pearl panels and insulated under them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you're referring to the square panels adhered to the van walls, I think there is no discernable difference between that and Noico. The Noico might be a tad denser. The biggest "mistake" I've seen is wasting Noico by coating every panel fully. That might give a little better sound deadening, but the point of the Noico is to disrupt harmonics, and you don't need to cover everything for that.

I used Noico 80 mil. I also used the Noico RED 315 foam on top of the butyl, and on top of bare metal where I had it. Highly recommended - -both sound and thermal insulation. Last, on top, I put a layer of Thinsulate SM600L. So far so good.

What I did not do is carpet line all the interior metal panels. While I know this gives a more finished, residential look, I wanted washable surfaces so I stuck with the factory Con-Pearl panels and insulated under them.
Thanks for your reply and telling me your experience with the Noico. Yes, those pads were what I was referring to. The primary reason that I'd prefer to get more of that material though is because it's all white so it would look nicer than the Noico in my opinion. My nephew is the parts manager for a Mercedes dealer, so I might message him and ask if he knows how to get it. Otherwise I'll go with the Noico. Since I live in Hawaii, cold isn't an issue at all. I just want to protect the metal panels a little better from shifting loads denting the sheet metal from the inside, and cutting down on road noise. I also want to completely seal the floor. I keep a full sheet of plywood on the floor at all times, but I'd like the Noico or similar material underneath it. I have a feeling that that might help cut road noise the most.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi. You can look at my post under interior and see what I used for insulation, both sound and temperature. I live on the coast of California, but spend a month or two in Texas each Spring. Cold is not an issue, but blazing heat is...I could barely touch the inside ceiling of my cargo van until I added 1/2" Dynamat and then the headliner panels. Really nice now and quieter. I added the Dynamat to the entire ceiling and all the walls then bought the panels from my MB dealer.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for your reply and telling me your experience with the Noico. Yes, those pads were what I was referring to. The primary reason that I'd prefer to get more of that material though is because it's all white so it would look nicer than the Noico in my opinion. My nephew is the parts manager for a Mercedes dealer, so I might message him and ask if he knows how to get it. Otherwise I'll go with the Noico. Since I live in Hawaii, cold isn't an issue at all. I just want to protect the metal panels a little better from shifting loads denting the sheet metal from the inside, and cutting down on road noise. I also want to completely seal the floor. I keep a full sheet of plywood on the floor at all times, but I'd like the Noico or similar material underneath it. I have a feeling that that might help cut road noise the most.
As to sealing the factory floor, I used Noico and "Eco Cork Foam" under the factory floor. I used the "eco Cork because it includes a 6 mil waterproof barrier, sound and thermal insulation, albeit a paltry 0.48 R value. While I had the floor out (very nice piece), I trimmed a 6' x 10' piece of coin vinyl to fit precisely over the factory floor. I adhered the coin vinyl with carpet tape, then sealed all the edges with latex weather sealant. I used aluminum angle to make a threshold on the passenger slider. The coin vinyl fit neatly under the factory rear barn door threshold.

·
Registered
14 Posts
As to sealing the factory floor,
Your post had me confused until I read that you had the floor "out". Then I realized you were referring to a removable floor. I'm referring to putting Noico (or other brand) on the metal floor under that. I keep a sheet of plywood on that floor but I'm thinking of buying a larger 5'x10' sheet of plywood (there's a specialty plywood store 3 minutes from my house) and cutting it to fit 100% of the floor.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Your post had me confused until I read that you had the floor "out". Then I realized you were referring to a removable floor. I'm referring to putting Noico (or other brand) on the metal floor under that. I keep a sheet of plywood on that floor but I'm thinking of buying a larger 5'x10' sheet of plywood (there's a specialty plywood store 3 minutes from my house) and cutting it to fit 100% of the floor.
I had a factory plywood floor. The surface was nice but not abrasion or liquid resistant.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts