Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
I was just on the Canadian van site and in build the 2.q diesel showed up. (?)

I took a picture. The price even reflected it at 38,900.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I was just on the Canadian van site and in build the 2.1 diesel showed up. (?)

I took a picture. The price even reflected it at 38,900 with a 1000 increase.

Even the options went up a bit and split from their original packages.

I took screen shots too. No 4Matic yet.

·
Registered
271 Posts

Reactions: river

·
Registered
271 Posts
I was surprised. Probably did this because the demands were loud enough? I wouldn't mind the 4MATIC, but could live without it.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I see 2.1L. That should be the previous model diesel, not the new OM654, which is 2.0L.

Carry over from the Sprinter no doubt. At least its proven if the same one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
OK... Greenmanedlion and Tree95... easy on the insults.

So it's coolant, not oil.
The manual does say allow to cool BRIEFLY after a hard workout.

Be nice.
Metris uses both... my 2016 metris turbo failed at 160000 miles. Checked out old and new turbo assy at dealership, both oil and coolant ports on turbo. Turbo is welded to exhaust manifold so entire assembly needs replacement. $3000.00 incl labor. Also 2 manifold studs broken somehow.

·
Registered
225 Posts
If my 2020 Metris gets to 160,000 miles and need a new turbo for $3000 I’ll be happy to pay. Have you owned your since new? If you just bought it, I can understand the dismay. Perhaps the previous owner had an inkling that the turbo was starting to go.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If my 2020 Metris gets to 160,000 miles and need a new turbo for $3000 I’ll be happy to pay. Have you owned your since new? If you just bought it, I can understand the dismay. Perhaps the previous owner had an inkling that the turbo was starting to go.
Put 160K+ miles on a turbo charged (two turbos) engine with the turbos just "oil" cooled with no problems. As per the owners manual I gave the engine some idle time before shutting off the engine. This let the turbo exhaust turbine cool down a bit. Even though the engine is idling and of course hot exhaust gas is being expelled and passes through the turbo it is cooler exhaust gas than the turbo gets if the engine is operating at something above idle speed.

As per the factory I ran synthetic oil and an oil approved by the factory. I had the oil changed every 5K miles vs. the 10K miles the factory called for.

For my Metris I give the engine some cool down time before shutting it off but not necessarily by letting the engine idle.

If the engine usage prior to shutdown is of a mild sort -- and most of the time it is -- then the amount of idle time prior to engine shut down is brief. For example in some cases if I back into a parking space -- and most of the time I do back into the parking space -- the parking operation has the engine operating at around idle for some time. Also, it is not like I just pulled off the race track. Rather I just spent minutes on surface streets and then often some time idling through a parking lot maintaining the 10mph parking lot speed limit.

As with my other turbo charged vehicles when I'm out on the open highway and pull off to stop for gas I'll treat the Metris the same way. I'll let the engine idle maybe 2 minutes before I shut it off.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I’m surprised the turbo replacement is that reasonable. I hope to get more than 160k out of the turbo, but I won’t be screaming bloody murder if it goes then.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts