Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a current Ford Transit Connect owner and I am going to be upgrading to a Metris this year. I have the cargo version of the Ford and I am inclined to buy the cargo version of the Metris as well. I will use the Metris for picking up cargo 95%+ of the time, but I also have a wife and kids so there is some utility in having the rear seats as an option.

My main question is, with the rear seats removed how disadvantaged am I owning the passenger version versus the cargo version? Does it have approximately the same cargo capacity as the equivalent cargo version? And is the suspension about the same between the versions?

And for what it's worth, I already own other vehicles that can haul the whole family. But it might be a nice to have option to seat everybody if needed.

Thanks for any feedback I receive.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,453 Posts
If you are going to fill the van with cumputer gear it might be safer to get a cargo and a partition. Downside of a passenger is a sheet of plywood does not lay flat on the floor due to rear ac bump. Also, the seats are not fun to move in and out and take up garage space.

For a while there you could find used shuttle Metris vans in black with barn doors right and left cheap. Maybe not so much now. Not sure if you are buying new or used and if a passenger van gives you a look you desire on your route.

Great van though. :)

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
342 Posts
My main question is, with the rear seats removed how disadvantaged am I owning the passenger version versus the cargo version? Does it have approximately the same cargo capacity as the equivalent cargo version? And is the suspension about the same between the versions?
I have a 2018 passenger van mainly because I wanted the A/C in the back when hauling dogs to the shows (not this year...). With sliders on both sides I can carry 12 with access to all of them. (I looked at the Transit Connect but couldn't get the crates in side by side or stacked) I got the auxiliary battery to run roof fan (Maxxair) and crate fans when parked and solar panels to keep it charged. I've been using it mostly for hauling stuff for the food bank this year and have the rearmost 3 seater in with heavy stuff behind.
MB gives me a cargo metris as a loaner so I get to compare.
The passenger has a little less volume and carrying capacity (because it weighs a bit more) but the main disadvantage is the floor width. I just put some banana boxes under 4x8s to raise them above the wheel well.
Advantages are much better visibility with windows in the back, quieter, and although they are heavy and bulky, the seats are safe for carrying people and provide a perfectly flat floor when they are out.
There are 2 or 3 suspension variants but (I think) you can get any of them for the passenger van. I did manage to break both my rear springs (apparently, I hadn't noticed).and they were replaced under warranty. If I'd been smart I would have asked for the heavier ones.
Just my opinion...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 2018 passenger van mainly because I wanted the A/C in the back when hauling dogs to the shows (not this year...). With sliders on both sides I can carry 12 with access to all of them. (I looked at the Transit Connect but couldn't get the crates in side by side or stacked) I got the auxiliary battery to run roof fan (Maxxair) and crate fans when parked and solar panels to keep it charged. I've been using it mostly for hauling stuff for the food bank this year and have the rearmost 3 seater in with heavy stuff behind.
MB gives me a cargo metris as a loaner so I get to compare.
The passenger has a little less volume and carrying capacity (because it weighs a bit more) but the main disadvantage is the floor width. I just put some banana boxes under 4x8s to raise them above the wheel well.
Advantages are much better visibility with windows in the back, quieter, and although they are heavy and bulky, the seats are safe for carrying people and provide a perfectly flat floor when they are out.
There are 2 or 3 suspension variants but (I think) you can get any of them for the passenger van. I did manage to break both my rear springs (apparently, I hadn't noticed).and they were replaced under warranty. If I'd been smart I would have asked for the heavier ones.
Just my opinion...
Thanks for the knowledge - it seems like you have a lot of good experience with both variants so I appreciate it a lot. One deal breaker for me would be the barn doors - I definitely need that style of door to easily accomodate pallet loading from a forklift. I guess I am finding that some passenger versions did have the barn door as an option so maybe there is hope for me to find one.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
I’d say at least half the passenger models I’ve seen have barn doors. Mercedes positioned the tailgate as a premium option.

however, cargo vans could get the barn doors with 270 degree opening;Pax are only 180.

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
579 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Based on what I have seen online, on the lot and for sale, I would say that most Metris vans actually have barn doors configured for cargo and lift gate for passenger. I don't know that a lot of people deviate from that. Whether dealer pre-order or customer order.

I purchase mine for 99% cargo and utility. Coming from two minivans, one which required lugging a heavy bench & 2 bucket seats (taking up space in the garage) but had a flat floor. The other had stow and go, but not a flat floor, unless you shimmed it and put a layer of plywood down (which I did). Converted the van back to one or two passengers behind me, maybe once a year? If that. (no kids) For people transport we just drive the SUV. If need be I will tag along solo in the van.

I opted for a cargo van, I bought the long wheel base 135, 270 barn doors, one slider, as I was tired of the limitations of a minivan, trying to keep it extra clean, not damaging plastic sides, glass, etc. So, after lots of research, any brand any size, I decided on the Metris. Biggest size that is the size of a minivan, can hold sheet goods flat or vertical, can hold 10ft. lumber and pipes, ... and fits in a residential garage. And I wanted some towing capacity should the need arise for trips to the big box store, recycling, ...

Ideally it might have had a bench in the front for a third person, when that need should arise, but there's a transmission or driveshaft hump between the seats so I can see why MB didn't offer it. All in all a lot of cargo capacity. I have the extended version. Probably 50% more space than a minivan. I think mine is 199 cubic feet. Vs about 140 for any given minivan and probably the Transit Connect.

Mine does have two windows in the rear and window in the right slider, for outward visibility. I would not want to drive without that, as some of the intersections and merge points along the interstate and roundabouts require visibility through that part of the vehicle.

So, cargo wise, a metris would be a serious capacity upgrade over a transit connect.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thanks for the knowledge - it seems like you have a lot of good experience with both variants so I appreciate it a lot. One deal breaker for me would be the barn doors - I definitely need that style of door to easily accomodate pallet loading from a forklift. I guess I am finding that some passenger versions did have the barn door as an option so maybe there is hope for me to find one.
If you're forklifting pallets I recommend the cargo version. It's what they're designed for.

·
Registered
2020 135WB Cargo
37 Posts
I recently bought my 135” Cargo van used. (The Transit Connect was just too small). In my search, I was surprised to see how many cargo vans had a lift gate. Those also seemed to sell for less that the low mileage, used cargo vans with barn doors.

One more thing to consider: The interior of the cargo van is wider and taller than the passenger van.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Consensus is pointing toward the cargo van version. Thanks for everyone who replied - I really appreciate it. Now to find a good candidate that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and has relatively low miles. Speaking of which, does anybody have any comments on what constitutes low miles for these engines just in general terms? I'm definitely going to be looking for <75k miles, but should I also be focusing on less than 50k miles?

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
579 Posts
PS: Plus, if you go with passenger, with the idea to strip it down for cargo use, there's extra electronics, airbags, seat belt holders, possibly AC, etc in the way, and you can have very unfinished walls ... vs perhaps wall with the insert panels if that option was spec'd upon order.

I found mine out of state on the TruckTrader website, new, MB dealership listed. It was easier than grabbing a map and looking up every dealership by hand.
For some reason MBvans website is hobbled down to show only one local dealership at a time. No regional or nationwide CPO search etc.

There currently are 310 Metri / Metrises listed on TruckTrader, of which 63 used.

Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,453 Posts
Consensus is pointing toward the cargo van version. Thanks for everyone who replied - I really appreciate it. Now to find a good candidate that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and has relatively low miles. Speaking of which, does anybody have any comments on what constitutes low miles for these engines just in general terms? I'm definitely going to be looking for <75k miles, but should I also be focusing on less than 50k miles?
I buy used with just enough warranty left to buy an extended warranty from MB. You can get about 15% off list price shopping around. I recently purchased a 7 year 140k for my 19. Not expecting trouble. Just know things are expensive. Warranties on my Porsche always paid for itself.

Read up and know if there are make or break options you need. Like a trailer hitch. Always get that from the factory. Its expensive to add later. Cruise control. Heated seats. Safety package etc. Everyone is different, but the older we get and the more cars we drive we know what we need to drive. The only thing I settled on this time was I ended up with power seats and didnt want them. They complicate adding swivels. I wanted to buy new to get Distronic, but while it is on the list of 2021 options its been delayed...and I needed a van. Probably a pandemic parts issue.

The radio is junk so you may want to plan for a replacement. So many good large screen choices out there now.

Barn doors vs lift gate and whether you need a driver side sliding door are the only other big choices. Its not hard the add windows, but the doors are not changing. The 270 doors are a good option if you load pallets. I think you are in CA so the rain screen you get with the lifts gate may not matter. The look of the liftgate is less utilitarian if that matters. Barn doors are a better choice for frequent access.

The wall packages arent cheap and you can diy, but maybe try to find one with what you want back there.

Aftermarket partitions seem like better options to me. There is a clear one i'd prefer if i needed one. More light and you can see.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am a current Ford Transit Connect owner and I am going to be upgrading to a Metris this year. I have the cargo version of the Ford and I am inclined to buy the cargo version of the Metris as well. I will use the Metris for picking up cargo 95%+ of the time, but I also have a wife and kids so there is some utility in having the rear seats as an option.

And for what it's worth, I already own other vehicles that can haul the whole family. But it might be a nice to have option to seat everybody if needed.

Thanks for any feedback I receive.
Here’s my take on the passenger versus cargo van versions of the Metris: Well you may not need the seats on an ongoing basis to keep permanently installed in the van the advantages of having the passenger van version out why the cargo van version in terms of livability just if no other reason than because of the sound deadening and the fit and finish of the passenger version. I have a passenger version and yes you can take the seats and keep them out for a while they’re fairly easily installed if you have a buddy that’s fairly strong but there’s a cargo partition and the passenger version comes with pre-installed latch system and they have a divider that can be installed in a matter just a minute or two so that you can keep the cargo separated from the passenger section. the floor deadening on the inside and the fit/finish to me make the passenger van a much more livable and flexible vehicle then if you simply have the cargo van and have to upfit it yourself with interior panels.

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
579 Posts
I know the noise level is vastly different between the passenger & cargo with extended loading. It shocked me when I first rolled onto the interstate in MA. So, I fully sound deadened my seat bases and partition wall.

A Vito Mixto might be an ideal multi-purpose vehicle for many, with its second row bench, followed by the hard partition and a utilitarian cargo space for third row & trunk; but MB so far has refused to offer it as an option in NA. Just like some of the other EU options I wish I could have custom ordered for a 2021.

Anyhow. It is a hard trade-off between a passenger and seating many versus a cargo and seating two.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I own a fitted out 2017 Metris worker (Cargo).
The cargo is nice as the hauling capacity is increased albeit at the expense of the ride. I made a mistake in that I got glass sliders on both sides and it would have been better to get doors with no glass and then do aftermarket glass with sliders as I did a camper conversion.
I purchased a Refrigeration prep package that covered a lot of options I wanted. I am glad to have the 180 doors as I dont think the 270 doors would have added much.
Getting a passenger van wouldn't have done much for me given the conversion and unless and until MB offers OEM sliding sbed seats in the US there is little value for me in having the seats in the rear. Maybe if I had kids I might think otherwise, but the seats are large and heavy. Gotta store 'em somewhere.
I have a partition that I carpeted on both sides and I added lots of sound dampening. The only issue I have now is tire noise at speed.

Wish I had a distronic option though. I miss that the most.
Not sure how I feel about the longer wheel base models. Would be nice to have the space, but garaging it becomes more of a challenge.

Other than that, love the van. It drives sweet and my wife doesnt mind taking her turn behind the wheel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts