Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to put my Yakima kayak carriers on my 2016 Metris Passenger. I ordered new Yakima Landing Pads supposedly "specifically" sized for the Metris. When I line up the bolts to the existing holes, the pads will not fit into the space indented on he roof even with the stepped insert. I've tried every way possible, but no fit. The pad manufacture says it should fit! Has anyone put these Yakima pads on their Metris? Any trouble? Am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yakima Landing Pad 22 Product # 8000248
Is that what you are looking for? My passenger Metris is a 2016, regular 126" wheel base with sliding doors on each side if that makes a difference? Thanks for your help.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passenger
2,320 Posts
Yes, just wanted to check what you have since you didn't share any specifics.

Etrailer shows some installs with that combo.

So the holes don't line up at all? Whether you turn them around or not?

·
Super Moderator
Metris Cargo 135 2020
1,097 Posts
Wrong product in the box?
Wrong label on the box?

A few years ago I had an issue with Thule, where the pads were not perfect for my Grand Caravan and I could not open / close my sliding doors without hitting the towers ... could not adjust the doors to compensate, or they wouldn't function properly. A bit of back and forth with Thule and their engineering dept, photos, measurements, ... but no solution. To me the pads were too thin or the sides of the tower too long. Returned.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, just wanted to check what you have since you didn't share any specifics.

Etrailer shows some installs with that combo.

So the holes don't line up at all? Whether you turn them around or not?
They don't line up. When I force them, the pads get distorted and won't sit flat on the roof. They just seem too big for the channel.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Solved. Spoke with installer at one of Yakima's distributors. Even though the "instructions" call for using the stepped inserts, he said to use the flat inserts and snug them up tightly with the bolt and they will pretty much compress to the shape of the roof channel (see photos). I did it (a little tricky to line up the bolts) and it worked fine.
Wood Road surface Outdoor bench Shade Outdoor furniture
Tire Wheel Plant Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
Wood Road surface Outdoor bench Shade Outdoor furniture

Tire Wheel Plant Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Good info, thank you

·
Super Moderator
Metris Cargo 135 2020
1,097 Posts
Thank you for the update.

To me, Yakima owes you a set of stepped rubber things that actually fit, when they make the next batch. That ugly gap in the rain gutter ... really? Sell a product for a custom fit ... and then that is the result? Gee wiz.

Is that just the front bit ( and presumably also the rear ) that's lifted up and then closer to the bolt area there's a solid contact patch? One bolt? Two bolts? No water is going to reach them or get trapped and cause issues? The point of that rubber foot is to keep water out and away, not to let it in, catch dirt, seeds, make compost, ...

I feel like having to make a custom rubber sole out of something to fill the narrow part of the gutter, then use the flat insert on top ... or getting a tube of RTV silicone out ...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for the update.

To me, Yakima owes you a set of stepped rubber things that actually fit, when they make the next batch. That ugly gap in the rain gutter ... really? Sell a product for a custom fit ... and then that is the result? Gee wiz.

Is that just the front bit ( and presumably also the rear ) that's lifted up and then closer to the bolt area there's a solid contact patch? One bolt? Two bolts? No water is going to reach them or get trapped and cause issues? The point of that rubber foot is to keep water out and away, not to let it in, catch dirt, seeds, make compost, ...

I feel like having to make a custom rubber sole out of something to fill the narrow part of the gutter, then use the flat insert on top ... or getting a tube of RTV silicone out ...
You are absolutely right, but the install is nice and tight, and my existing crossbars and carriers fit perfectly, so...with a little bead of silicone I'll happily save $600-$1,000+ for an entirely new setup. FYI - each connection site on the van has two bolt holes with rubber stoppers in them. I just had to remove one in each for the Yakima pads, so any water running through would just flow over the stopper as it would normally and not have an easy time seeping down the bolted hole (but the silicone should prevent any water running through anyway).

Yakima should make good on their promise of a "custom" fit, and we shouldn't have to compromise to make it fit. But, the rest of their kayak carrying system is rock solid. I will be contacting them (the manufacturer) about the issue though. I'll let you know if I get any reaction. Thanks for your comments.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts