Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recent Metris purchase. We live in the mountains with 7 and 8 percent grades. I need to find a efficient way to descend without excessive braking. Any help would be appreciated. We were told at the dealership to use cruise control. We did and it ended up scoring the rotor. I have been using the paddles to downshift into a lower gear. This has help somewhat. The Metris is a beast and gets going downhill really quick. I need to find a solution.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Are brakes actually engaged by the cruise control system? Based on the rotor wear in my van @ 14,000 miles, I'm starting to feel less than impressed with the brakes in general.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
MB brakes are relatively fast wearing. I'm not basing this on the Metris, but on years of owning various MB vehicles. This is because they use an effective but fast wearing compound on their brake pads. This improves stopping distance markedly.

On downgrades, use tranny braking. It'll help maintain a mildly sane 45k front, 30k rear brake interval.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Cruise control uses braking like regular stopping. Do use the downshift method on long descents.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much for the info. Do you what the rpm shifting would be on gears 3,4 and 5. I just don't want to over revved the engine or compromise the tranny. Any info is much appreciated.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Brakes are cheaper to replace than an engine or transmission.

What does it say in owners manual and what is recommended?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MB manual says cruise will use brakes to maintain cruise set speed. Manual says; downhill gradients you should change down shift to range 2 or in good time. You thereby make use of the braking effect of the engine and do not have to brake as often to maintain speed. This relieves the load on the service brake and prevents the brakes from overheating and wearing out to quickly. I'm going to try down shift to range 3 and then to 2 keeping an eye on the tach. I really need to find a solution and best method of driving in the mountains. We live in an area where 7 and 8 percent grades are everywhere. I understand that I will probably have a shorter brake lifespan.

·
Registered
278 Posts
> We live in the mountains with 7 and 8 percent grades.

I love driving the metris. It handles 7 and 8 (and earlier today, a 10% grade on highway 22 west of Jackson Hole, WY) uphill just great. It's amazing what comes out of that little engine.

But, there is so little engine braking available from that little engine on the downgrades. I downshift, but that's still not enough, some times.

·
Registered
295 Posts
IMO...down shift a little and pump the brakes a little. Like others have said, brakes are cheap, and they really are. I like others, love this vehicle!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts