Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new owner of 2020 Metris. Have plans to tow a 4000 lb travel trailer. I have always had a trans temp gauge when doing any serious towing. I will feel naked without one. Suggestions please!

Second I would like to find a manual or discussion of some kind for the M274 engine. I do not want a service manual (my tools are permanently retired). I would just like to know how all the systems work. I do not want to do the work, those days are over. In a previous incarnation I was everything from a mechanic to manufacturer's service rep and now I can't stand not knowing how things work.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I would like to find a manual or discussion of some kind for the M274 engine. I do not want a service manual (my tools are permanently retired). I would just like to know how all the systems work. I do not want to do the work, those days are over. In a previous incarnation I was everything from a mechanic to manufacturer's service rep and now I can't stand not knowing how things work.
The attached document provides a technical overview of the M274.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I had always felt Mercedes were over engineered but at least now I can appreciate Metris service costs.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Surely you didn’t buy a Mercedes expecting Lada Zhiguli simplicity? I mean there is something to be said for that- I’ve always had a hankering for one- but you won’t find it on a Mercedes.

They’ve been over-engineered ever since Bertha Benz took the first one to see her mother, making the first long distance travel by trackless self propelled land vehicles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am a new owner of 2020 Metris. Have plans to tow a 4000 lb travel trailer. I have always had a trans temp gauge when doing any serious towing. I will feel naked without one. Suggestions please!

Second I would like to find a manual or discussion of some kind for the M274 engine. I do not want a service manual (my tools are permanently retired). I would just like to know how all the systems work. I do not want to do the work, those days are over. In a previous incarnation I was everything from a mechanic to manufacturer's service rep and now I can't stand not knowing how things work.
I tow quite a few trailer with my 2018 Metris. Enclosed and dump trailers. It does ok if you manually shift. But even a small enclosed trailer kills any mpg Almost alarmingly so

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
The Metris does have a rather effective transmission cooler as standard; actually it’s a standard part of all 7G-tronic transmissions. The computer will error and go into a limp mode in the very unlikely event it overheats.

·
Registered
401 Posts
The 7G-Tronic also tends to be in a lockup configuration the majority of the time, so just cruising down the road pulling something isn't really going to generate any more heat than when driving unloaded....only the engine will be working harder, but its massively de-tuned from what the M274 is capable of. A 4000lb trailer should pose no problem at all.

·
Registered
624 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for the Scan Gauge recommendation. A very comprehensive unit, unfortunately does not have a trans temp sensor. My concern for temp monitoring is not on flat land but mountain towing. The S and L on Ford and GM trucks helped with keeping the ATF from browning. Will the manual mode keep the temps within spec on grades of 6% or more?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts