Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are looking at the Metris to replace our Astro van, and so far it looks great. The only question I can’t find an answer to is regarding a trans cooler. All our last tow vehicles either came with a trans cooler as part of the tow package, or we installed one after market. It looks like the Metris does not have one included in its tow package. Anybody installed one after market? We tow a Lance trailer of around 3500 pounds loaded. I know the Metris can handle it, but am concerned about the life of our transmission.

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
342 Posts
It's rated to pull 5,000. Get a 7 year warranty if you're concerned and it will cover everything else as well. Probably less expensive?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm pretty sure the Metris is designed/tuned to handle towing out the door, trans cooling is for vehicles that aren't built for towing. When I installed a tow-bar on my Odyssey a few years back they installed one.

In my experience, the Metris LOVES having a lot of gear on-board, the engine & transmission seem to take joy in hauling a lot of weight. I suspect it acts the same when towing.

·
Registered
359 Posts
We are looking at the Metris to replace our Astro van, and so far it looks great. The only question I can’t find an answer to is regarding a trans cooler. All our last tow vehicles either came with a trans cooler as part of the tow package, or we installed one after market. It looks like the Metris does not have one included in its tow package. Anybody installed one after market? We tow a Lance trailer of around 3500 pounds loaded. I know the Metris can handle it, but am concerned about the life of our transmission.
I pretty sure they have a oil cooler. Mine has one. If you look underneath at drivers door you'll see two lines going forward. BTW, we have the Lance 1575. I'm very impressed with the Lance campers.

·
Registered
900 Posts
If it makes you feel better, the 7G tranny is offered in the Sprinter too along with the 2.0l engine, though I am not sure they are paired

Reactions: RobbMeeX

·
Registered
401 Posts
All MB's have integrated transmission coolers, always have....their cooling systems are generally much more robust than your average vehicle.

The 722.9 + M274 should easily handle the rated towing capacity with no modifications. Its a full lockup transmission, which means overall heat generated (especially when just cruising down the highway) is very minimal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lane On The Fence, we have the Lance 1575 as well! Very well thought out trailer. Interesting about the oil cooler - that would help. And if all MB’s come with trans coolers (thanks, pawoo007) that would do the trick. I’m just not trusting enough of the MB sales force to be well informed on this. And not all dealers carry the Metris either. Gun shy after having to replace a transmission on an Astro (sans trans cooler) and don’t want the same problem with the Metris (which will be way more $$$ than a Chevy). I’m also wondering if the Metris just hasn’t been out long enough for transmissions to start going out.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
The 7G-tronic is paired with the 2.1 liter turbo diesel four on 2014-2015 Sprinter 3500s whose GVWR is higher than the Metris’s GCWR. It is also currently used on the Sprinter 4500 cab chassis models which have a GCWR of about 20k lbs.

Trans-coolers are a feature needed when a company uses an underspecced component. Mercedes uses these trannys on 700+ hp V12s, and medium duty commercial trucks, and taxicabs that will see 500k miles of stop and go traffic.

Let me put it another way- if your Astro has the same transmission as a Silverado 3500, would you be worried about a Tranny cooler? Of course not.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Trans-coolers are a feature needed when a company uses an underspecced component.
Sigh.

The Metris has a transmission fluid cooler. It's the forward-most heat exchanger, visible directly behind the pointed star in the grille. Part number 447500000164.

Even my passenger van that was not equipped with a factory trailer hitch has it.

The attached photo of a salvage van from Copart shows the cooler.

Attachments

·
Registered
401 Posts
Most MB's with hydraulic power steering even have dedicated coolers for that system. Extreme engineering.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Most MB's with hydraulic power steering even have dedicated coolers for that system. Extreme engineering.
Actually a lot of cars have steering system oil coolers. Ours being electro hydraulic, or entirely electronic I would have thought it wouldn't be needed. I love the way these van steer. I would not want it for a track car, but I love it for normal driving.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Ours do not have any cooling for the steering, it is purely a motor assisted steering rack, no fluids...other than perhaps a grease in the sealed unit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts