Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are everyone's recommendations on installing an aftermarket trailer hitch on a Metris Passenger Van? I am considering either a "DrawTite" or "Curt" 2" hitch just to use for a hitch bicycle rack. Any problems other than how low it will hang? Thanks!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just ordered and installed the draw-tite hitch on my metris. The photos on etrailer.com show an exhaust deflector on the curt hitch but none on the draw-tite. I was surprised when the draw-tite arrived because it now has a heat deflector on it. It seems to be a well built hitch except for the clearance which is the same as the spare tire, just further back. I did choose the draw-tite because of the tubular cross bar which appears a little less obtrusive. I have not towed with it yet because I am working on the light wiring.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the Curt hitch. Mounts easily and has an exhaust deflector. The down side is the you loose a significant amount of clearance on the rear of the vehicle. The hitch itself scrapes upon entering elevated lots, especially if I'm carrying passengers in the back.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Have had no issues with the DrawTite hitch other than had to get them to send me one with an exhaust deflector. When I complained about my first one not having a deflector I believe they pulled all the old stock and replaced it with ones that had a deflector for exhaust so make sure it has the deflector on it. I installed mine by myself. It does sit lower than factory one, but personally never had an issue with clearance and bumper did NOT need to be cut for install like it would have with factory one. I have not towed with it yet as I still need to install wiring harness (another topic) but have hauled bikes. Other than being lower, not sure why you would not be able to tow on aftermarket hitch vs factory.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We ordered from etrailer pre heat shield and ended up with a melted bumper. They have been very responsive, we have been out of town a ton and have drug out the resolution.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts