Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took delivery of a new Metris. Unfortunately, I couldn't wait the 5 months they quoted to get the model I wanted to order, which would have included a hitch. Any ideas on where to get one that fits this. Curt doesnt even have this model on their website yet. Thanks!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Here's a junky cell pict of the sticker on the Metris hitch. Might give you a place to start. According to the order sheet there is some other stuff that gets installed when the hitch goes on. I'm still waiting on my dealer to get back to me about what is needed to wire in the brake controller.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx Styles. Id really like the brake controller as well, so I probably have to wait until our dealer can get the parts.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I got a call back from the sprinter help line on the brake controller. When the tow package is added you get the trailer controller and a pigtail in the drivers area (most likely under the seat) to wire a brake controller into. The initial sprinter help line guy I talked to said that they didn't have any Metris tow info in his system yet but went and tracked it down. The pigtail sounds identical to what the sprinter gets when the tow package is added. There is also a very quick note in the upfitters manual saying the vehicle gets some additional programming to avoid malfunctions when adding trailer support.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I got a call back from the sprinter help line on the brake controller. When the tow package is added you get the trailer controller and a pigtail in the drivers area (most likely under the seat) to wire a brake controller into. The initial sprinter help line guy I talked to said that they didn't have any Metris tow info in his system yet but went and tracked it down. The pigtail sounds identical to what the sprinter gets when the tow package is added. There is also a very quick note in the upfitters manual saying the vehicle gets some additional programming to avoid malfunctions when adding trailer support.
Got a follow up from MBusa the Metris is in fact not prewired to support electric trailer brakes.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I was told by my dealer to get it from the factory. IF you don't and want one, it takes almost 12 man hours of labor. Dropping the fuel tank is part of installing the hitch. I ordered mine with it. I'm in my 8th week of a 14-18 week delivery date.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Getting it installed from the factory is still the best option. My current update is that I apparently have a case # now and my dealer is supposed to be getting in contact with engineering and someone is going to work out a solution at some point. Schedule undetermined.

For anyone that needs this please call into the MB service line and let them know. I haven't gotten the answer I want yet but they have been actively working the solution and updating me as information comes in.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I ordered mine with the hitch. The dealer said if I didn't and got it installed after the fact, it is 12 hours labor. lots of stuff needs removed, then reinstalled. He said much cheaper to order with it. Mine took 13 weeks, 3 days to come in. I was originally quoted 14-18 weeks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I ordered mine with the hitch. The dealer said if I didn't and got it installed after the fact, it is 12 hours labor. lots of stuff needs removed, then reinstalled. He said much cheaper to order with it. Mine took 13 weeks, 3 days to come in. I was originally quoted 14-18 weeks.
I just installed my hitch yesterday. Took me 40 minutes including time for getting out the tools and putting them away.
Would have been much easier with a lift. I did mine on the garage floor. Instructions say 20 minutes to install.

The only thing that needs removed is the tow hook located on the passenger side of the vehicle.
The exhaust resonator is close but there is enough play in the rubber hanger that it does not need removed to get the bolts installed.
The hitch I bought through trailer parts.com and it cost $140.00 with freight.
Draw-Tite # 76015 Order it as a separate item or they hose you for freight as they have a flat rate hitch shipping charge unless you add something to the order. It took about 5 weeks to get.
I purchased a Tekonsha model 119250 no cut trailer light module so it would sense the vehicle light function from the Metris wiring harness but take power from an auxiliary power feed right off the battery or accessory post. I have not installed it yet as I plan to wire in a brake controller at the same time. I have not bought one yet as I have not decided which one I want.

Brad

·
Registered
48 Posts
I ordered mine with the vehicle and I'm surprised MB doesn't give you the adapter from the round trailer wiring connector they install next to hitch to the flat four pin like my Dodge Ram and Durango came with......

1 - 20 of 55 Posts