Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted 2 captain seats in the middle. No need for 3rd row. Bought a set of used sienna seats. One seat is very wide. Has a child seat (jump seat sort of thing). Cutting it down and still retaining the quick release was my plan. Anyways finished the project, added more leg room and much more comfortable recliner w arm rest installed. And it can both pop off if i need full cargo. Pictures are self explanatory. I installed the 3rd row just to test the fit. Less leg room but if i had to i can use 3rd row.
Great van, i love the metris, after every mod i like it even more 馃槈

I also finished a 3500miles trip towing my 19ft whaler behind the van. 10.5mpg was average just a bit better than GLE350 we had last year. It towed better, rode better, more stable compared to GLE. I think its mainly due to longer wheel base and Bilstein B6 struts are much stiffer so handled the extra load much better.

Attachments

Registered
2020 cargo 126wb
I like this idea. Do you still have a flat floor when you unclip the seats? Do you feel that your design and method will keep the seats and belted passengers in place in the event of a crash? What year Sienna did these seats come out of? In my 2005 Sienna, the RH seat has self-contained belts, but the LH seat has the seat belt anchored to the Sienna's C-pillar. Yours must be newer than that.

To see if I understand what you did, the seats must come out in three parts: RH seat unclips from the fabrication, LH seat unclips from fab, and finally the whole fabbed bracket comes out as one piece. Yes? How long does it take to remove the bracket from the Metris floor? Finally, how much higher are the Sienna seats than they were in their original vehicle?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like this idea. Do you still have a flat floor when you unclip the seats? Do you feel that your design and method will keep the seats and belted passengers in place in the event of a crash? What year Sienna did these seats come out of? In my 2005 Sienna, the RH seat has self-contained belts, but the LH seat has the seat belt anchored to the Sienna's C-pillar. Yours must be newer than that.

To see if I understand what you did, the seats must come out in three parts: RH seat unclips from the fabrication, LH seat unclips from fab, and finally the whole fabbed bracket comes out as one piece. Yes? How long does it take to remove the bracket from the Metris floor? Finally, how much higher are the Sienna seats than they were in their original vehicle?
It sits 2.25in off the floor of the van. Sienna seats sit low! I could have raised even more but ill try this 1st.
Your right when removed 3 pieces. 2 chairs and base.
I think its out of 09 sienna? Only 1 has built in seatbelt.
Base frame has 6 bolts. So couple mins to remove the frame. Pretty simple.

Registered
2020 cargo 126wb
For me, lack of seat belts is a deal breaker. Did you find a way to put seat belts on the left side?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For me, lack of seat belts is a deal breaker. Did you find a way to put seat belts on the left side?
I dont need a seatbelt on 1 seat because i have a 5mo old baby and her car seat base clips into the seat. So for now that base will always be attached to no seatbelt chair.

While i had gutted the interior and installed sound proofing material, i did see an attachment point on the c piller. And also another spot at the base. If the need arises, ill look into that option. I think its pretty simple to do...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You could also get a second right-hand side Sienna captain's chair. Their bases would be interchangeable with your setup and it would have the integral seatbelt.

-Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Your right mike, but the seat belt integrated seat is the one w jump seat attached. Requires fab work unless you wanted to keep the jump seat... for me its just too much work for a seatbelt i dont currently need.

Registered
2020 cargo 126wb
For those who might take this route, two RH seats from two 7-passenger Siennas (instead of 8-passenger, which I assume is where Chidiver got his seats), would probably be the ticket.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For those who might take this route, two RH seats from two 7-passenger Siennas (instead of 8-passenger, which I assume is where Chidiver got his seats), would probably be the ticket.
Actually they are driver side middle seat is the one w seat belt / jump seat. In my van, i swapped them. Only because i like to load the baby from driver side.
But ur idea is right, if u want 2 built in seatbelts. U need 2 driver / middle row to.

Registered
Your right mike, but the seat belt integrated seat is the one w jump seat attached. Requires fab work unless you wanted to keep the jump seat... for me its just too much work for a seatbelt i dont currently need.
Nope. Just use a right hand 7 passenger seat. No fab work needed. In a 7-passenger version, the RH seat has the integral seatbelt so it can be used in two different positions (center aisle or side aisle). Yours is from an 8 passenger which includes a middle seat section. I have a 7 passenger gen2 Sienna. You know better than me how the 8-passenger version is laid out.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nope. Just use a right hand 7 passenger seat. No fab work needed. In a 7-passenger version, the RH seat has the integral seatbelt so it can be used in two different positions (center aisle or side aisle). Yours is from an 8 passenger which includes a middle seat section. I have a 7 passenger gen2 Sienna. You know better than me how the 8-passenger version is laid out.

Ohhh i see, im not familiar w all the sienna models and didnt know that was available! Then like u said, just buying 2 single seats would have made this so much easier! 馃槄

Registered
Yes, but now you know what to look for if/when you end up needing that fourth seatbelt! And I'm almost positive your floor bracket is all good to go for the individual seats.

If you care, I can measure the spacing on the 7 passenger model if your seats came from a 2004-2010 Sienna.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, but now you know what to look for if/when you end up needing that fourth seatbelt! And I'm almost positive your floor bracket is all good to go for the individual seats.

If you care, I can measure the spacing on the 7 passenger model if your seats came from a 2004-2010 Sienna.

FN, thanks so much for the info, it will come in handy in the future! I will start looking around! No need to measure, im sure u are correct. I also saw on the web, leather recliner w raised foot rest out of sienna... now i want 1 of those for the wife! Although she is very pleased w the current upgrades!

Registered
The leather recliner with footrest are for 2011-2020 vans which do NOT interchange with the 2004-2010 models. What year van did your seat come out of?

There is a bracket that someone makes that will fit the Sienna recliners into the Ford E-series, so that maybe could be modified to fit the Metris.

Banned
Was your Metris manufactured before January 1st 1968? If this was not the case, your vehicle, by law, is required to have a seatbelt installed in ALL designated seating positions. The charge for not having a seatbelt in a seat used to carry a child where one is legally required in most states is actually criminal (as opposed to a motor vehicle code violation) and it carries jail time. Unlike your lighting violation, that is quite strictly enforced.

Just wondering; owning a Mercedes is a great financial burden. They have high maintenance costs, a repair rate that would give most Toyota owners a myocardial infarction, and costs to do same that would give the rest of them a stroke. If not for their nonpareil safety, what the heck did you buy one for???

1 - 17 of 17 Posts