Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my first towing experience with the Metris and Echo TBC. I towed a 2 horse tandem axle very square trailer loaded with 56 small square hay bales weighing 45-50 pounds each. The empty trailer weighs 2100 lbs. so I was close to the 5000 lb. towing capacity of the Metris.
The Metris handled it well, very little transmission shifting at 60 MPH, did not seem overloaded but I would not haul anything heavier or less aerodynamic. It is like towing a large square 4800 lb. sail with wheels.
This was also my first experience with the Curt Echo wireless TBC, it worked well. I had no issues connecting to my iphone, or operating the electric brakes on the 1970's era trailer. I had a small issue nearing dusk, I manually turned on my headlights and this caused the Echo to indicate trailer brake application over bumps? I could not feel any trailer braking but turned off the lights manually hoping to reach my destination before dark. 5 minutes later the automatic lights came on but this did not cause the Echo to indicate trailer braking?
I plan to contact Curt to ask them about my experience, not sure why manually turning on lights would differ from the automatic lights operating?
Based on this towing I would recommend the Echo TBC, it is a very slick system.

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had my first towing experience with the Metris and Echo TBC. I towed a 2 horse tandem axle very square trailer loaded with 56 small square hay bales weighing 45-50 pounds each. The empty trailer weighs 2100 lbs. so I was close to the 5000 lb. towing capacity of the Metris.
The Metris handled it well, very little transmission shifting at 60 MPH, did not seem overloaded but I would not haul anything heavier or less aerodynamic. It is like towing a large square 4800 lb. sail with wheels.
This was also my first experience with the Curt Echo wireless TBC, it worked well. I had no issues connecting to my iphone, or operating the electric brakes on the 1970's era trailer. I had a small issue nearing dusk, I manually turned on my headlights and this caused the Echo to indicate trailer brake application over bumps? I could not feel any trailer braking but turned off the lights manually hoping to reach my destination before dark. 5 minutes later the automatic lights came on but this did not cause the Echo to indicate trailer braking?
I plan to contact Curt to ask them about my experience, not sure why manually turning on lights would differ from the automatic lights operating?
Based on this towing I would recommend the Echo TBC, it is a very slick system.
Can you tell me a bit more about the entire hitch set up and the Curt ECHO TBC? I guess you have the aftermarket Curt Hitch installed? Looking for an aftermarket solution. Thank you

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the factory tow package. The Curt Echo is the "wireless" trailer brake controller. You could install any aftermarket hitch and use the Echo as long as you have a 7 pin trailer connector properly installed with the hitch.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Looks like you have the 135 LWB Metris -- glad to see it's up to towing. Do you have booster springs in the rear?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes it's a 135" LWB, I do not have any booster springs in the rear. I do not do a lot of towing, perhaps 500 miles/year and have not hauled any heavy loads other than the hay.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts