Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Metris passenger van and I am considering using it to tow a travel trailer. Have other owners used their van for towing?
I can get my boat around town and it is near the limit of 4900 lbs. I am looking for a travel trailer around 3500 lbs.
Any thoughts on using the Metris for long hauling?

·
Registered
401 Posts
If you were comfortable towing your boat at 4900lbs 3500 shouldn’t bother you. I towed my dad boat at 2500lb and never again would I tow that much or more with my cargo van.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Only had the trailer for a month and still getting everything set up for a trip to central Calif. I bought the trailer in Portland and pulled to Seattle, was very surprised at how well the Metris did. Just finished installing a Prodigy RF brake controller. @016 Metris and 2400 Lb trailer (dry).

Attachments

·
Registered
401 Posts
I used to be on an Ford F150 forum and towing came up a lot. One thing that stuck out on all threads was just because manufacturers say a vehicle can tow x amount doesn’t mean it’s safe to do so.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate the comments on towing with a Metris. I don't have the MB towing package and the dealer wouldn't put on the OEM hitch and instead sent me to U-Haul.
Any idea if I need a transmission fluid cooler (i.e., is that part of the towing package that I don't have)?

·
Registered
483 Posts
The towing package doesn’t come with anything but a tow hitch prewiring and then added feature for the back up camera
Nope.
You left out an important safety feature. the Trailer Stability Assist for the ESP control. Besides the camera feature, this is one reason I sought out a Metris with the factory tow package. Towing over 2,500-5,000 lbs, I want all the computer help I can get.

"Driving with a trailer is set to become safer thanks to Trailer Stability Assist from Mercedes-Benz. The new system is able to detect the dreaded fishtailing quickly and take corrective action. This extra safety function has its roots in the ESP® Electronic Stability Program."
http://media.daimler.com/marsMediaS...SA-Trailer-towing-made-safe.xhtml?oid=9904683

1 - 9 of 9 Posts