Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Metris passenger van and I am considering using it to tow a travel trailer. Have other owners used their van for towing?
I can get my boat around town and it is near the limit of 4900 lbs. I am looking for a travel trailer around 3500 lbs.
Any thoughts on using the Metris for long hauling?

·
Registered
401 Posts
If you were comfortable towing your boat at 4900lbs 3500 shouldn’t bother you. I towed my dad boat at 2500lb and never again would I tow that much or more with my cargo van.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Only had the trailer for a month and still getting everything set up for a trip to central Calif. I bought the trailer in Portland and pulled to Seattle, was very surprised at how well the Metris did. Just finished installing a Prodigy RF brake controller. @016 Metris and 2400 Lb trailer (dry).

Attachments

·
Registered
401 Posts
I used to be on an Ford F150 forum and towing came up a lot. One thing that stuck out on all threads was just because manufacturers say a vehicle can tow x amount doesn’t mean it’s safe to do so.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate the comments on towing with a Metris. I don't have the MB towing package and the dealer wouldn't put on the OEM hitch and instead sent me to U-Haul.
Any idea if I need a transmission fluid cooler (i.e., is that part of the towing package that I don't have)?

·
Registered
592 Posts
The towing package doesn’t come with anything but a tow hitch prewiring and then added feature for the back up camera
Nope.
You left out an important safety feature. the Trailer Stability Assist for the ESP control. Besides the camera feature, this is one reason I sought out a Metris with the factory tow package. Towing over 2,500-5,000 lbs, I want all the computer help I can get.

"Driving with a trailer is set to become safer thanks to Trailer Stability Assist from Mercedes-Benz. The new system is able to detect the dreaded fishtailing quickly and take corrective action. This extra safety function has its roots in the ESP® Electronic Stability Program."
http://media.daimler.com/marsMediaS...SA-Trailer-towing-made-safe.xhtml?oid=9904683

Reactions: focus805

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have 2017 Metris passenger Van. I’m planning to tow a travel trailer dry weight under 4000 pounds. Someone told me Metris is unibody frame can’t add weight distribution for towing.
But I did see some members towing camper with WD.
my question is Can I add weight distribution when I’m towing a travel trailer?
Thank you

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
560 Posts
I don’t see why Unibody would somehow prohibit having a weight distributing hitch. Those only bolt to the trailer, right?

( One of my former neighbors had a ford station wagon with a weight distributing system on his travel trailer. )

Most passenger cars, vans and suvs are unibody. The MB passenger vans are considered unibody because it all gets bolted and welded together into one unit (can’t unbolt the shell) but you will find a pretty traditional ladder frame underneath.

Does your van have the towing package with the 2” square receiver?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don’t see why Unibody would somehow prohibit having a weight distributing hitch. Those only bolt to the trailer, right?

( One of my former neighbors had a ford station wagon with a weight distributing system on his travel trailer. )

Most passenger cars, vans and suvs are unibody. The MB passenger vans are considered unibody because it all gets bolted and welded together into one unit (can’t unbolt the shell) but you will find a pretty traditional ladder frame underneath.

Does your van have the towing package with the 2” square receiver?
I don’t have towing package yet, but I will install one at Uhaul with class 3 hitch and 2” receiver
Since I am trying to buy Forest river salem Fsx 178bhskx travel trailer with dry weight 3900 Gvw 4870. Whe sale person keep asking me is it my vehicle on unibody chassis? He said unibody chassis is not allowed to add weight distribution. But I did see someone hacmve one when towing a trailer. I’m pretty confused.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
I don’t have towing package yet, but I will install one at Uhaul with class 3 hitch and 2” receiver
Since I am trying to buy Forest river salem Fsx 178bhskx travel trailer with dry weight 3900 Gvw 4870. Whe sale person keep asking me is it my vehicle on unibody chassis? He said unibody chassis is not allowed to add weight distribution. But I did see someone hacmve one when towing a trailer. I’m pretty confused.
I would distrust the salesman; he has borscht for brains. A unibody merely means that the vehicles body is integral to rather than structurally separate from the frame. Like with a pickup, you can literally unbolt the cab and bed, and the whole engine/tranny/suspension/whatnot will be together on it.

A Metris has a rather stout ladder frame to support its (1/2 ton pickup-beating) 2500lb payload; the resp of the body is welded rather than bolted to that. He’s probably referring to monocoque- which I wouldn’t tow anything with, but nobody builds cars like that with tow ratings.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,435 Posts
It's probably a context thing and how it was actually communicated. It is true that a unibody vehicle that isn't specifically rated for WD should not use WD. A Metris is not one of those. The person was probably just making a general statement without any knowledge of a Metris. Understandable. There isn't a simple table of all cars and their WD capacity to check.

For example this is from a Subaru with a decent tow rating. The manual says do not use WD.

·
Registered
130 Posts
make sure that you keep a close eye on your tongue weight. Tongue weight on trailers ranges between 10 and 20 percent of gvwr, with travel trailers typically sitting around 15 percent. If you choose to use a WD hitch you will need to account for that extra weight. Anderson makes a pretty good WD hitch that doesn’t use bars and is significantly lighter. That is what I use.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Usually, when I need to tow a boat of around 3500lbs, I use Boat shipping company near me(Minnesota) because my vehicle's maximum towing limit was around 4000lbs. and because trailer brakes were not that good to stop this much weight quickly.
But in your case limit is 4900lbs so you can go yourself.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts