Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

Tourig installed Poptop

12K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  brow 
#1 ·
Picked up SCA Pop-top from Tourig in Golden Colorado. Awesome. Get one. Set up Weekender style with middle seats removed. Quite ride, no road noise, big. I'll take better pics and review.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Looks good. Any Sportsmobil pop top conversion owners that would mind chiming in with similar photos and answers to those questions. The Sportsmobile pop top is also a SCA top. So it should be identical. Hey Blonder, do you mind taking photos of the interior and the trim that they used? Thanks

#4 ·
Poor spelling, its a quiet ride on the highway with poptop down. The middle seats are just stored and come out for soccer team duty. Coming from a Eurovan, I find the lack of middle layout satisfying for kid, wet dog, grocery and plant/tree hauling.

Total cost for roof was $13,000, with tax, and importantly, $1500 for a matching dolomite brown pain job, if you have a white van painting the top may not be necessary.

TouRig has a three year warranty. I made a deposit with SCA while the tops were on the ship, which took several months to get here. I do not think this is an issue anymore as the tops are here. Once the roof was at the shop and we arranged for a time, it was about a week in the paint shop and installation by the shop the same.

Solar could be an option, TouRig has installed it on the full Terra-Camper conversion I saw it at their shop, see their Facebook page.

There are rumors of sliding windows on the door with a screen and TouRig is designing press in shades for the windows. TouRig can install secondary lighting, such as a reading light up top, they installed this on their full camper.

The top is very different from VW. There are lots of struts (hydraulic?) for smooth opening and closing. The inside bed has its own set up struts, different from VW. Big front tent window with screen that opens. Driver side tent window has screen that doesn't unzip. Passenger side window does not have screen, but a plastic window for rain days.

Attachments

#12 ·
It does do that. It ensures that rain falls off the roof in a manner that maintains the top materials rather weak rain proofing and also allows the use of open screens in mildly inclement weather as a lot if not most of van campers do not use, or minimally use, A/C at the site.

I assume there are other reasons as well, but I am not a van camper by nature.

#13 ·
Hi blonder

I was at Tourig just a day or 2 prior to yours being delivered. I'd actually gone to see their Terracamper but left liking your configuration much better so we're going to pursue your 'weekender' version. Good to hear you're happy with the build. I thought Paul and the other guys were really good. Have you tried it with the 2-person bench in the 3rd row? Anything you would do different?

Thanks
BK

#14 ·
The SCA top has a spring in the bed, I find the good to sleep on, the mattress is also about 1 inch of foam. I have attached a photo of the springs.

The top fastens down with clamps, which I found are sharp and I have put tape on the edges to protect the canvas. It doesn't have the satisfying lock that a VW poptop does when it comes down, but it works well and is easy. You have to be careful not to get the tent wrapped up in the clamps. I have included a picture.

Nothing I would do differently. I'm experimenting with the seat configuration, now I have it set out for seven so I can haul the team around. This is what I like about the Metris over the Eurovan or having a camper, you can empty the back and use the space to haul stuff, or put the middle seats back in for lots of people. Or take the middle seats out for wet dogs to lay oh the floor. I keep the three row seat in the van and move because its so heavy and harder to store than the two person bench.

I'm looking forward to sliding opening windows with screens and a swivel passenger seats, all of which TouRig should be able to do now. They are very easy to work with and love vans and little features that can be added on.

Attachments

#16 ·
I also want to add thanks for all the photos. I'm a Eurovan Weekender owner and I'm looking for something a lot more modern and comfortable. Can you describe how the bench seats pull out for the bed, and whether it is comfortable for two adults? Also are the top struts strong enough to hold a Yakima rooftop box even when it it deployed up. Pictures would be appreciated!

#18 ·
@blonder, I have stopped at Touring today (3/1/18) the garage WORKSHOP is full of Sprinters incredible job, mainly Sprinters but also now Metris, they will take some photos of their Metris build up and send it to me, that I can post them here. I do agree with blonder, really good guys, running good honest business Paul and Eric don't have competition around here, and it would be hard to compete with them.
The price for the pop top looks a lot with comparison to others, (usually around $8500) but the top is first grade top, I would say similar to Marco Polo. The frame of the top is spectacular. The workmanship top notch.
(And I don't get a penny to advertise for them, they deserve it :) I hope tomorrow or soon I'll post some photos of their new work especially on Metris.

JUST WONDERING blonder, HOW DO YOU CLIMB ONTO THE TOP BED :)? I HAVE NOT SEEN ANY LATTER.

G
#19 ·
I think Sportsmobile installs the SCA poptop for $9500? Can anybody confirm? Can anybody speak to the quality of work with Sportmobile? The have been around a really long time and have done a lot of conversions with many types of vehicles. If I can save three or four grand ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.