Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Future Metris owner here! I have my appointment scheduled with my local Mercedes Benz dealership to get my order placed for new vans they have scheduled for production later this year. My plans for this van are mostly to haul my dirt bike and quad. Originally I was interested in the Sprinter but they are just far too big for my current situation and after looking into the Metris I really fell in love with the idea of a smaller van.

I plan to spec my van out exactly how I want it, 135 WB, barn doors w/ windows, all the comfort options, driver options etc.

I like the idea of the partition to separate the cabin from the cargo, help control the climate up front and also for safety reasons. I've done a good amount of searching on the forum and I've found a mixed bag of reviews regarding the factory MB partition. I read in some posts that it can be extremely noisy also limit the comfort of the drivers seat. My main concern is the noise that comes from the partition, I would have thought it would help keep things quieter. I also don't want to end up removing it later on and be stuck with the exposed pillars from where it was mounted.

So in short, I'm just looking for some up to date opinions and experiences with the factory partition.

Also any additional recommendations for a Metris Moto van would be greatly appreciated :)

Thank you!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How tall are you?
5’7” which I know wont be a problem with the partition while driving. Was more just thinking about how I wouldn’t be able to recline that far back if I was just parked and relaxing. Again noise is mostly my main concern here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passenger
2,204 Posts
If I was going to buy a gargo van today I personally would get the aftermarket Ranger Max view for the natural light and full range on the seat. But you are getting barn doors with windows so you will have some light. Sort of an easy button to order the factory option. You can mitigate noise with additional material.

·
Super Moderator
Metris Cargo 135 2020
1,046 Posts
Welcome to MetrisForum.

With the partition it is very easy to chill the cabin down rapidly, and easier to keep content in the back.

The road noise does come up through the metal seat bases and metal frame; but with some sound dampener and a couple basic tools, you can mitigate the noise very easily.

If you scroll through my " flex " link in my signature, you will see to cover pretty much the various surfaces that make up the extended partition base, the cross brace and the lower half of the partition. Some internet reading suggests you only need like 1/4 or 1/3 of surface coverage ... yeah no, not in my case.

As far as seat reclining, I think you will get a little but not much, more like that limited airline recline, if you have the seat forward a couple clicks. I'm 6', long legs, have the seat one click forward and the back just about against the partition ... for driving. Probably not a big deal to move forward a bit and recline ...

From what we've heard, the Ranger MaxView may get about an extra 2" of depth. But you won't have extended storage under the seat bases. I wanted to get the MaxView, but did not like that it did not seem crystal clear see through ... then my van came with the extended partition.

One thing I also wanted was right slide with glass, so I can look over the right shoulder to merge/yield at some poorly laid out intersections. Been well worth it. Unless you need the solid sidewall. A driver's side slider with glass can be handy too. Something I miss about my previous passenger vans, to just have my most used stuff right behind my seat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the helpful information. I will definitely be checking out your thread @icerabbit and I'm leaning more towards the factory partition.

I keep contemplating whether or not to do the window on the sliding door. I like the idea of having solid walls for more insulation and how everything will be completely solid (minus the back two windows) I'm also considering getting a sliding door on the driver side as well.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passenger
2,204 Posts
I think dual sliders for your use makes a lot of sense. Glass from the factory would make it easier later to add glass types that have slider/screens or tip outs to make ventilation easier when parked etc. You can add glass later on all parts of this van so factory glass isn't required to do that.

I think glass on the passenger slider as an aftermarket choice would make the most sense to me. Being able to look out that side while driving has been useful. Also useful if you are camping in the van and are parked at the curb.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I haul bikes for track days. I have the partition and it's a bit noisy but, to me, the noise is a small price to pay for quicker cooling in the cab. I have sliding doors on both sides and would be frustrated if I only had a single sliding door.

·
Registered
73 Posts
For me, a window in the passenger slider was a must for being able to see traffic on that side. I paid $700 for an auto glass shop to install. It is one of the best improvements I have added to my cargo van along with adding 1/2" thick dynamat to the ceiling, walls and rear doors as well as all the MB correct panels for the ceiling and side walls. Much quieter and better insulated. I did not want a partition as I often move from the front seat to the back when sleeping on the platform I built.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have no windows anywhere in the back (for security). It's dark inside with the doors closed! Driving with blind spots like that took a bit to get used to but doesn't bother me now (even though it's not optimal). I'm working on rear view camera project (slow progress during track season!)

·
Super Moderator
Metris Cargo 135 2020
1,046 Posts
In any kind of camping setup, with no windows, I'd want a little skylight dome or two, and some 360 camera setup ;)

Adding a little rear view camera and dedicated monitor is not expensive at all. Just need 12v for the camera and the monitor. Which would be easier if our cargo vans had a couple 12v sockets like passenger vans do.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Moto guy here too! I definitely would not operate this van with out the partition. Even with the bike tie down tool boxes and parts if that's if hit you it will kill you. What I did do is I cut a access door in the center So I can Go to the front of the van through the rear And I also have my van set up As a camper van. I'm too stupid to post pitchers up so if anybody wants to see any pictures of my setup You can pm Your number Or email and I can send you plenty of pictures and explain how I cut the partition.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts