Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

161 - 180 of 205 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
My $0.02 is that vans with such short nose length from the front tires tend to wear outer edges faster with aggressive driving. Alignment is perfect. We've owned as Astro since new in 2004 and my wife drives like Mario Andretti and as long as I rotate the tires regularly every 5K miles with our complimentary Costco plan that comes with tire purchase the Michelin LTX go about 60-70K miles a set BUT we have them turned outside in around 30K miles.

·
Registered
258 Posts
If you search through this thread, several members have posted the dealer receipts that show the specs that they used for their alignments. That would be a start but bear in mind that there seem to be changes from MB from time to time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had the same issue with premature wear of Hankook tires. After several calls and emails with pictures of tire wear (@8k), dealer was gracious enough to replace all four tires and an alignment.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Been driving since middle of last century so may not have good expectations . . . I have never heard from friends and posters here so many complaints about a particular tire - Hankook . I am reminded of that old cliche - "you get what you pay for ".

I just replaced my original Hankook tires with Michelins . I got 24K out of the H 's . The outside edge of the RF tire was almost gone. I rotated front to rear before a State inspection which it just barely passed but was told to replace the tires pdq .

I went to the dealer where I asked about the svc B service . I then told and showed the dealer the RF now on RR tire wear. I told the svc writer/mgr( ? ) that I insisted that the particular tech that performed svc A never ever work on my vehicle again. No objection was voiced by the writer . My basis was because I was told that there was supposed to be a tire rotation done at svc A . My point was if a rotation was done then I 'd have two tires with wear on the outside edge - not just one with lots of wear - and - something a responsible tech would have picked up on - at least - imho . Not . I said that at this point ( 9K mi later ) I could not prove anything - only that it didn't smell right .

I took my new M's to my local shop where we found out he didn't have the specs for an alignment but printed the current specs for my Metris since they had it on the rack . With new ( under 100 miles ! ) tires nothing seemed " way out of reasonable " . Indeed - pretty good .

Thanks to the folks here that posted the alignment reports - esp the info about the electromechanical steering adjustment . I would rather try going back to my local guy as I believe when spending my money I should get the same respect the people taking my money want . It does work two ways after all .

·
Registered
258 Posts
Several years ago, on another vehicle that I had put Michelins on, I noticed a shiny thing in one of the tires. It turned out to be a sheet metal screw that had been riding with me for long enough to wear it to a bright finish. I left it there until I got home and then removed it after marking the spot but it never leaked. At 6000 my Metris signaled that it had a low tire. When I got home, I discovered a not very sharp self-tapping screw had penetrated the Hancook belt and was leaking. I drove it to my tire dealer and traded the Hancooks for Michelins. And I actually got a trade-in allowance for them! I don't yet know how they are wearing.

·
Registered
259 Posts
grumble. 4k after alignment on new tires and the passenger front outer edge is starting to feather. Friday will the 3rd time since June 2017 this thing has been on an alignment rack.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The Dealership after keeping our Metris for 4 weeks replaced the front 2 tires but not the back 2 and advised that the alignment from the factory was incorrect - the back 2 tires were not replaced but did show wear- the sales department said that he couldn't believe that the tires mercedes put on this car were so bad

·
Registered
259 Posts
grumble. 4k after alignment on new tires and the passenger front outer edge is starting to feather. Friday will the 3rd time since June 2017 this thing has been on an alignment rack.
Grumble Grumble. Had the van on the rack and everything looks pretty darn good. Talked to lead tech afterwords and they say all these vans are doing it and MB is working on it. Call MB on the way home and ask them for a timeline, they've never heard of any vans having tire wear issues. So who is telling the truth? It makes sense that the tech guy in charge would know whats going on and I know MB has paid out money for tires based on others posts here.

Oh I also got a couple print outs from the service adviser about MB approved tires cause they noticed mine weren't the junky Hankooks.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Where are you taking yours for alignment?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Where are you taking yours for alignment?
The local dealer. Had looked briefly at lifetime alignments but none of them had the van in the system. After being told by the dealer that MB knows about the issue and is working on it I called MB corp to get a better answer. After getting a case # and eventually a call back they claimed the dealer miscommunicated the issue and there is absolutely nothing wrong with the van or the design but still can't tell me why the tires are wearing so poorly. And they still wouldn't cover the costs for alignments.

·
Registered
489 Posts
The local dealer. Had looked briefly at lifetime alignments but none of them had the van in the system. After being told by the dealer that MB knows about the issue and is working on it I called MB corp to get a better answer. After getting a case # and eventually a call back they claimed the dealer miscommunicated the issue and there is absolutely nothing wrong with the van or the design but still can't tell me why the tires are wearing so poorly. And they still wouldn't cover the costs for alignments.
Thanks for the insight. Looks like the same old "shift the blame".

·
Registered
18 Posts
New Tires after 32K

Just got 4 Michelins from Costco today after 32,000 miles. The fronts were bald on the outside edges. Our personal mechanic checked the alignment 6 months ago and realigned blaming terrible alignment for the wear on the tires. We don't off road and live in the city. Our dealer would not own up to the alignment being faulty. So, starting over with 4 new tires and back to our mechanic for another alignment.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The Hankooks are sh!t......... low profile tires / GLE wheels, and continental dws make the van 1000% better to drive. No abnormal wear........ I have already been through the bs with hankooks.... my16, and 18 have identical wheels now. Yes both alignments were wrong from factory, but even after corrected I have never had such horrible tires. Stop the bleeding, and buy better tires...... just my 2 cents. Oh and my dealer is great too! ;)

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Hyundai’s and Kias do not use these tires. These tires are special high-load tires designed for light trucks like the Metris. Hyundai does not sell ANYTHING in the US that requires 101 load rating indexes.

I suspect that these Hankooks are improperly designed for the load rating they are rated at.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Green is wrong? That's strange.

I gotta google the Kia Sorrento 2017 and they do use Hancook tires with 103 and 104 rating. They even use 103V on 18 wheels.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
I'm sure Hyundai and Kia have plenty of their issues other than tires.. like head gaskets haha
Actually to my surprise Hancook makes decent tires if you want to go around corners at 80-90 mph
but this is a dam cargo van,, not the passenger van.. At least Offer LT TRUCK Tires on it! The van is too heavy
for this 101h 55 series tire. The Michelin defender new series is my only new hope to get 35k out of a tire that's warrantied for 70k
Business owners want longevity, reliability, and vans staying on the road! not going in for alignments 2xs a year with tire replacements
Or am I the one that's mistaken?
I just do not understand why these manufacturers are not responsible when they need to be?

161 - 180 of 205 Posts