Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

201 - 205 of 205 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
What are you calling feathering? You can simply see that the rubber has met the pavement?
Evidence on my tires that pavement is contacting just beyond the tread pattern is visible, but that is not what i am calling feathering.

Feathering is a term i learned as a tech.

As per bridgestone: "Tires are “feathered” when the tread ribs are worn lower/smoother on one side and higher/sharper on the other. This is often caused by a combination of improper alignment settings, such as excessive toe and caster."

Like this

It is not subtle in my case, but not horrid yet, easily felt with hand and i have a lot of road noise, road noise increases after warm.

I will try to get it down for an alignment next week. We need the car while i am repairing the others.

https://www.bridgestonetire.com/tread-and-trend/drivers-ed/tire-tread-wear-causes

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just got mine back from alignment, was over 2 degrees out of spec on camber. MBusa said they haven't heard of any issues and the dealer wasn't very helpful with trying to push a warranty either at 16k (14 months). Said I should be rotating every 12k....something they failed to do during service A? Who knows, either way MBusa continues their poor after sale support.
my service guy said I have to rotate every 5k miles and that I should do an alignment every time I get new tires. REALLY? I have never had to do that with ANY of the vehicles I had before (62 years old). I have 12 K on second set of tires and they are finished on the edges. I did get the "complimentary" re alignment the first time I took it in around 15 K. They tried to make me feel like they did me a huge favor. Mine is a 2016. I guess I have to do re alignment every 20K. This is a big scam. Wouldn't have expected this from Mercedes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dropped my van off at dealership this morning, where I purchased the new metris 3 weeks ago...made the appt online via their online system and requested loaner car (it was an option on the system).

When I arrived, I showed the service advisor the feathering on my 2 front tires. He was not that convinced it was a problem was my assumption. I proceed to say things like "I am usually not this picky about minor anomalies, but, feathering like this at 1500 miles and a few weeks old, is a bit of a concern, right?...and feel the back tires, they are smooth!".
He tells me "well, we could do an alignment, but, alignment is not covered under warranty".....what in the f-ing F?
I said "Dude, few weeks old, Mercedes, tires are NOT right, tell me if im crazy, and ill drive away....feel them again" and he rubs hand across the tires and says "Let me go talk to my manager" and he was gone for 5 minutes.
He comes out, all pumped ; "We CAN do it for ya".....meaning, the alignment under warranty I guess.

So we go in and fill out paper work. He asks if I need a shuttle, I told him I applied for the loaner, but he said this type of service we dont do loaners. Then proceeds to tell me the SHuttle doesnt go all the way to my house (Im about 8 miles away from dealer). Had my wife come get me.

So far my mercedes service experience is not good. I was treated like a peasant with this Van, as I saw them fawning over other customers with expensive mercedes, kind of sucks. This is my first ever Mercedes, loving my van so far, but this thing this morning sort of sucked.

Anyway, keep you posted on these **** Hankook's, but so far they seem to suck.
Its not the tires! Its the alignment. Note that the back tires wear correct. My Dealer in Rocklin treated me the same. Very disappointed. Im selling mine.

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
287 Posts
I have the impression that the problem is mainly with the earlier models (2016, 2017). I think someone said that the alignment specs were revised later on. Are they now being applied to the earlier models? Mine's a 2018 and the wear has been perfectly even with no rotation (see post 187). Mind you, I'm driving mostly straight roads and I usually take corners gently so the dogs don't get thrown around in their crates. Pushing it on the corners would give outside wear...

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would say give up on the Hancooks, they will continue to disappoint you. I bought a factory-new 2016 that came with Hankooks, which wore unevenly and very quickly. I then got a MB alignment and a second set of Hankooks, which then wore out quickly but more evenly. I finally went to Costco and got the Michelin Defenders and had another MB alignment done and these new tires are wearing well and are significantly quieter.

201 - 205 of 205 Posts