Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

181 - 200 of 205 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
By the way....
2017 Mercedes-Benz Metris/Curb weight
4,222 to 4,850 lbs.. Green , you previously stated these 101h tires were the same as LT tires (light truck) . but aren't LT tires 10 ply..??
Doesn't surprise me that any tire would holdup to this weight empty..Hancook VenusNoble wont state how many ply they are which
means they can't be more than 5 or 6 usually..
the Hancook 101h TIRE is good for roughly 1521 lbs? Are you kidding with a heavy van like this?

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
The Metris has a GVWR of over 6700 lbs. Hyundai doesn’t offer a vehicle in this weight class, and never has. Kia did, the Borego, but that was literally a one year wonder- bet you didn’t know Kia offered a V8-powered body on frame SUV.

It is GVWR ( the maximum your loaded vehicle is allowed to weigh) that determines the tire, not its base curb weight. The Metris, you may recall, has the largest payload of any class 1 vehicle at 2500 lbs.

I dunno what you posted that link for but those tires were OEM on the Ford Flex and Lincoln MKT- large, heavy, three row minivans not made by Hyundai.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have two metris vans and have the same problem! Dealer just says that’s how they are! I’ve called MB CORP and Hankook they offer nothing! Hankook blames the way Mercedes designed the suspension. I have not gotten past 15k before having to change!
Mgr at tire store said he has guys who keep extra rims n tires to rotate out more! It’s really ridiculous! My Sevice tech says I’m lucky his corvette rear tires only get 10k ?‍♀?‍♀?‍♀?‍♀?‍♀

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all,

Just under 15,000 miles on my '18 cargo Metris and the dreaded tire issue raised its head. Dealer recommended Continental, so they'll put those on tomorrow. Very disappointed in this, as I'm quite happy with this van otherwise. (Took delivery in November of '17.)

From what I've read here it seems that better tires just delay the problem. That is sad.

FWIW, I always thought the OEM tires were too light for this van. I'm empty most of the time, but have more than a few one-way trips with 1000#+. I'm interested to see if the van handles better with Continentals versus Hankook. Disclaimer, I never had a problem with the handling loaded or empty thus far.

This really bums me out.

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
287 Posts
Here again is a tire that was on the front of my '18 Metris Pas for 20k miles @ 44psi. No rotation, no alignment. Mostly highway driving. Not a lot of wear and very even. It's a Toyo Celsius (not CUV) all weather with an estimated tread life of 60k according to Consumer Report tests. The rear tires, however, did have more center wear, probably from pulling a large trailer with little load in the back of the van otherwise. (I've rotated them and dropped the pressures to 39 which I expect should even out the wear.)
Just to be provocative, I think your outer front wear is due to the fact that the Metris handles so well that you're driving them like sportscars around corners. You can't blame it on the small turning radius - what fraction of your mileage is at a full lock?
Anyway, I don't really know what the problem is, except that it does not affect every Metris.

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hello all,

Just under 15,000 miles on my '18 cargo Metris and the dreaded tire issue raised its head. Dealer recommended Continental, so they'll put those on tomorrow. Very disappointed in this, as I'm quite happy with this van otherwise. (Took delivery in November of '17.)

From what I've read here it seems that better tires just delay the problem. That is sad.

FWIW, I always thought the OEM tires were too light for this van. I'm empty most of the time, but have more than a few one-way trips with 1000#+. I'm interested to see if the van handles better with Continentals versus Hankook. Disclaimer, I never had a problem with the handling loaded or empty thus far.

This really bums me out.
to Jeff Woehrle would you be so kind and let me know where your new Continentals were made?
I have also Continentals and they are made in Slovakia. I was under the impression, that Continentals are made in the US, I should know tomorrow what brand the dealer replaced my front tires with, the latest news is that one of my wheels is bend, I have no idea how that happen on the highway, did not do any offroading.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Pot holes are usually the culprit for bent wheels, especially in northern climates such as yours where the snow and winter weather ruins the roads quickly

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
to Jeff Woehrle would you be so kind and let me know where your new Continentals were made?
I have also Continentals and they are made in Slovakia. I was under the impression, that Continentals are made in the US, I should know tomorrow what brand the dealer replaced my front tires with, the latest news is that one of my wheels is bend, I have no idea how that happen on the highway, did not do any offroading.
Continental is and has always been a German tire manufacturer. That they manufacture a lot of things in Slovakia is not surprising; it is the Mexico of Europe. But to my knowledge Continental has never had a US manufacturing presence, and a US made one would be bizarre on a Spanish-built van in any case.

·
Registered
86 Posts
For the record, my 2018 passenger has under 600 miles on it and has feathering on the outer edges of the front and rear tires, the front being noticeably worse. I put them up to 45psi cold around 200 miles ago. Road noise gets louder as they heat up. Most driving is rural twisty roads, computer says 29mpg as evidence i am not pushing it hard, but roads are windy. Van just has 2 non obese adults in it and 3 non obese kids under 8 in it at most, usually less.
This chassis has been around at least since 2014, and maybe older, i do not know how much they share with the previous gen vito. There has got to be a proper way to align these things.

The vito has the same wheels as the metris, does anyone know what tires they put on the ones in europe? They have the same 225/55r17, but i do not know the tire specs.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
A Metris is a Vito. If the rubber they use is not identical I’d be shocked. I would go to your dealer and get an alignment by the way. At this mileage it’s still warranted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
MB came out with new alignment specs. There was a service bulletin. You need to tell the dealer to look for it. After getting it properly aligned to the correct specs (wrong from factory) we are getting 70k out of tires.

·
Registered
86 Posts
A Metris is a Vito. If the rubber they use is not identical I’d be shocked. I would go to your dealer and get an alignment by the way. At this mileage it’s still warranted.
Yes I am planning on it, But i cannot get down at the moment though.

One can see that my tires are rubbing just into the edge of the sidewall when looking at the surface of them. We have twisty hill roads...

I know your personal opinion on the matter of larger wheels in general in regards to this van, but i wonder if for those of us that need a separate summer set, going with something like the v class has might wear better for spirited driving, alignment aside.

Part number: A4474012700 7X23
Wheel size: 8 J x 19 ET 52
Recommended tires: 245 / 45 R19

For what it is worth, although generally more expensive, on tire rack, that size 245/45r19 has 43 different types of available XL 102index tires to choose from, as opposed to the stock size 225/55r17's 11 in XL 101index including the offending OE tire.

14 of that 43 245/45r19s are run flats though, and one is the original offending tire in the different size.
245/45r19 is also about an inch larger in diameter.

21 of those 245/45r19 XL102 tires that are not run flats are AA traction rating if that is important to you. 225/55r17 in xl101 only has one tire with an AA, also interesting to note is that the OE VENTUS S1 NOBLE2 is a B traction rating in stock size, while in the 245/45r19 it is AA.

That said, all my past experience with the mich defender LTX M/S, on other vehicles has been great, and that is available in 17 stock size.

And yes it is a Vito, but its still destined to the US Market and different than the product sold to Europe, Australia, etc... If i recall correctly, some countries require different certifications for tires, I don't know how that plays out with the metris/vito.

·
Registered
86 Posts
MB came out with new alignment specs. There was a service bulletin. You need to tell the dealer to look for it. After getting it properly aligned to the correct specs (wrong from factory) we are getting 70k out of tires.
Do you know the bulletin number, or the date of this? Thanks!

181 - 200 of 205 Posts